removing bearing race from aluminum casting (auger chain case)

acem

I need to remove bearing races from an auger chain case. One side is easy (holes in the back) but the other side is blind and I need to remove them from the side I am pulling them. 

I thought about a legged puller but then I thought of welding a bead inside the race to pop it out.  I have done this many times on cast iron but never with an aluminium case.  I will have to ground to the aluminum case. I really don't need to damage the case.

Will I harm the cast aluminum case welding the race?  

Any suggestions?

Thx-Ace

Cast aluminum is no issue to weld, except that it is often contaminated and doesn’t weld well because of that, I don’t see an issue with welding the race, it’s not like cast iron. 

1 minute ago, acem said:

Uh, Im not welding the cast iron.

Im welding a bead around the surface of the race to pop it out of the aluminum casting.

Im open to other ideas on removing the race.

Thx-Ace

You could use a sacrificial tab of steel to attach your ground to and weld that to the bearing race.  Then you could run your bead on the bearing race to extract it.

• Like 2

7 hours ago, 1586 Jeff said:

You could use a sacrificial tab of steel to attach your ground to and weld that to the bearing race.  Then you could run your bead on the bearing race to extract it.

This is what I do. I even do this for ones that you can hit from the backside but can't get the edge of the bearings with a punch

I don't think you'll put enough heat through the race to hurt the aluminum as long as you don't weld some monster bead. I hate it when they don't leave enough room for a puller.

I remember accidentally finding out that welding a bead would shrink the race when it cools. I was faced with the same issue but cast iron cap. Welded a tab to grab with a puller, left the cap outside on the concrete to cool, bearing side down. A little while later I retrieved the cap and got set to pull the race and it was gone! Fell out on the concrete. I told someone else and got "everyone knows that" . Well, I didn't?

Edit: I'd try Auger's method first^

You will not damage the case by connecting the ground lead to it, just make sure you have a clean connection.

I have removed many bearing races by shrinking them with weld. This is a standard operation.

9 hours ago, stronger800 said:

Hit the aluminum with 8-10 sec worth map gas......and tap it upside down on a block of wood? 

I've used a hose off a 20lb propane tank many a time to remove a race in a blind hole. Shrinks them right down, wait a few minutes after you're done before you enjoy a Marlboro though lol.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, acem said:

Uh, Im not welding the cast iron.

Im welding a bead around the surface of the race to pop it out of the aluminum casting.

Im open to other ideas on removing the race.

Thx-Ace

I guess my point was it shouldn’t bother the cast aluminum 

45 minutes ago, RBootsMI said:

I've used a hose off a 20lb propane tank many a time to remove a race in a blind hole. Shrinks them right down, wait a few minutes after you're done before you enjoy a Marlboro though lol.

can do the same with Co2.

Mike

Had a Suzuki dirt bike transmission case. That clymer manual said to put in a meat bag in the oven at 350 f . By golly they all fell out of the case .?‍♂️???

• Like 1

It is a mayrath case. 

I thought about my options and decided to go with the least risky first.  I took my slide hammer and popped them out after about 5 mins.

As always, thanks y'all.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, acem said:

It is a mayrath case. 

I thought about my options and decided to go with the least risky first.  I took my slide hammer and popped them out after about 5 mins.

As always, thanks y'all.

boo. Read the whole thread first next time, KWRB!