I'm going to prison tomorrow

They say once you go to prison you will probably go back again.

Well I visited my friend in prison a few months ago. I planned to visit him again but this beer flu has them on lock down so I can't visit him.

Then the cummins prison farm put farm equipment on big iron and I bought a couple jewels.

I'm heading down in the mornin to pick them up. I have to take all the guns, ammo and knives out of my truck. That may take half a day!

Thx-Ace

• Like 1
  • Haha 6
1 hour ago, acem said:

They say once you go to prison you will probably go back again.

Well I visited my friend in prison a few months ago. I planned to visit him again but this beer flu has them on lock down so I can't visit him.

Then the cummins prison farm put farm equipment on big iron and I bought a couple jewels.

I'm heading down in the mornin to pick them up. I have to take all the guns, ammo and knives out of my truck. That may take half a day!

Thx-Ace

We have two vehicles, the Jeep we drive everywhere, and our ram which is for travel, in province I keep a firearm or two and knives and some other stuff, when ever we take the truck across the border mom always asks if the guns or ammo are all out, knives are all ok and other stuff is good mostly.

When I go through the gates I am subject to complete search. They take it seriously.

THe prison system in Arkansas raises all their food, makes their clothes, etc on the prison farms, etc. 50 years ago they were self sufficient with almost no tax money spent. However prison reform changed that and now they are a significant cost.

II'll try to get some pics.

Thx-Ace

• Like 1
29 minutes ago, acem said:

When I go through the gates I am subject to complete search. They take it seriously.

THe prison system in Arkansas raises all their food, makes their clothes, etc on the prison farms, etc. 50 years ago they were self sufficient with almost no tax money spent. However prison reform changed that and now they are a significant cost.

Thx-Ace

Thank You very much Federal Government?

SD's prison farm is now gone as is the farm at the Redfield State Hospital and school. (Mentally ill facility)

The State School cost taxpayers no money due to the farm income, dairy and gardens.

They usually turned a fed bucks back to the General Fund. That is called a profit while they cared for 1,500 clients.

But SD took a few bucks from the Feds so they could no longer have the clients milk cows, work in the garden, etc..

So the farm closed and the clients had nothing to do.

Now the taxpayers fund the entire thing for both prisons and mentally ill.

Most clients were then sent out to half-way houses and nursing homes.

We had a system that gave food, clothing,  shelter and a purpose in life to the clients.

No more.

The Fed's need to stay out of our lives and quit blackmailing us for the money received.

What makes the Feds think they know more than the states?

• Thanks 2
30 minutes ago, Diesel Doctor said:

Thank You very much Federal Government?

SD's prison farm is now gone as is the farm at the Redfield State Hospital and school. (Mentally ill facility)

The State School cost taxpayers no money due to the farm income, dairy and gardens.

They usually turned a fed bucks back to the General Fund. That is called a profit while they cared for 1,500 clients.

But SD took a few bucks from the Feds so they could no longer have the clients milk cows, work in the garden, etc..

So the farm closed and the clients had nothing to do.

Now the taxpayers fund the entire thing for both prisons and mentally ill.

Most clients were then sent out to half-way houses and nursing homes.

We had a system that gave food, clothing,  shelter and a purpose in life to the clients.

No more.

The Fed's need to stay out of our lives and quit blackmailing us for the money received.

What makes the Feds think they know more than the states?

Funny how any Fed money has strings attached, huh? Politicians saw what they thought was free money and in the end it ended up costing more than what they got out of it. Government math at its best 

Michigan shut down its prison farm system in the mid 80s. There was a escape from the farm around Jackson Michigan. 2 guys escaped, went to a nearby house and killed a couple, then tried to sneak back on the farm to establish a alibi. Didn't work for them because they left to much evidence. But it turns out in the aftermath of that how lazy the correctional officers had been for years at keeping the prisoners in. There had been escapes for years that had been covered up. That ended the prison farm system in this state.

• Thanks 1
4 hours ago, acem said:

Thx-Ace

I remember in past years when Cummins was still operating with mules.  Mabe as late as 1980's??

You would see a massive cloud of dust for miles away late in the afternoon as the mules moved single file back toward headquarters with one prisoner riding side saddle on their mule's back.

Seems like most all of the mules were gray??

That was back in the day that some of our better and most dependable farm labor (mostly black) would have been "trained" at Cummins Prison Farm.  (left a lasting impression with them)

Show us what you bought when you get it back home.

DD

Michigan also closed down all the mental health "hospitals". Now many live and roam the streets. They either end up in the county jail or the hospitals, neither of which can provide the treatment and care they need.

The Feds think they know better than the states and the state employees think they know more than the local government employees. I will complete 47 years with the county road department in 14 days :). I've had dealings with the Michigan DOT for most of those years. There are a number of DOT employees that think because we work for a county we are less intelligent (ie stupid). I was in a MDOT meeting one time with about 6 of my supervisors. We were talked down to like we were kindergartners. Afterwards I told the MDOT person that organized the meeting that if we were talked down to like that again,  I was going to get up and walk out with all my people.

Later that MDOT supervisor left MDOT and his assistant became the "boss". I was told by others that he told his employees when I spoke they might not like what I said but they  better listen becasue I always did my research and knew exactly what I was talking about.

They have a dandy there currently. I called and said your message board is facing SB traffic, I think it needs to face NB. She rudely told me it's where it's supposed to be. I said i can see it out my office window. A couple days later she says we checked after a few more calls and i was correct. Duh who was stupid on this? I emailed her about dumb detour, put all the trucks thru a tight conjested  intersection (without the added trucks) . She calls me to tell me she didn't like the tome of my email, all the reasons not to change it etc. At the end of the tirade she says we looked at it and changed the signs yesterday. I think, really chew me out and then say we took your advice. Made her feel good talking down to me I guess.

Everything went well. There are civilians in charge and prisoners working. Easiest load out ever, they even strapped my load. Very pleasant experience. There were a lot of farm work going on by the inmates while I was there.

The farm is a low security area. I had to go through a checkpoint but the fence wouldn't hold my cattle in! There was also an obviously high security area. Three rows of impressive fences, the middle fence marked as electrified, and concrete under all the fence area. That contains a maximum security area and death row. I asked the inmates where they stayed and they pointed at a low security barracks outside the main facilities. One item was in the back of the 1800 acre farm. While geting that item they pointed out the dairy, cattle ranch, chicken houses and now empty pig houses. When  I told him I  raised livestock and crops he suggested I put in for a farm manager position.

There were trucks from up north that bought the junk tractors. They paid way to much.

Below are some pics from inside. I'll post a pic tomorrow of my jewels I bought.

tmp_6858-Photo0032-2-562151234.jpg

tmp_6858-Photo0046-1618820987.jpg

tmp_6858-Photo0056-11000942462.jpg

• Like 2
10 hours ago, Raildudes dad said:

Michigan also closed down all the mental health "hospitals". Now many live and roam the streets. They either end up in the county jail or the hospitals, neither of which can provide the treatment and care they need.

The Feds think they know better than the states and the state employees think they know more than the local government employees. I will complete 47 years with the county road department in 14 days :). I've had dealings with the Michigan DOT for most of those years. There are a number of DOT employees that think because we work for a county we are less intelligent (ie stupid). I was in a MDOT meeting one time with about 6 of my supervisors. We were talked down to like we were kindergartners. Afterwards I told the MDOT person that organized the meeting that if we were talked down to like that again,  I was going to get up and walk out with all my people.

Later that MDOT supervisor left MDOT and his assistant became the "boss". I was told by others that he told his employees when I spoke they might not like what I said but they  better listen becasue I always did my research and knew exactly what I was talking about.

They have a dandy there currently. I called and said your message board is facing SB traffic, I think it needs to face NB. She rudely told me it's where it's supposed to be. I said i can see it out my office window. A couple days later she says we checked after a few more calls and i was correct. Duh who was stupid on this? I emailed her about dumb detour, put all the trucks thru a tight conjested  intersection (without the added trucks) . She calls me to tell me she didn't like the tome of my email, all the reasons not to change it etc. At the end of the tirade she says we looked at it and changed the signs yesterday. I think, really chew me out and then say we took your advice. Made her feel good talking down to me I guess.

47 years, congrats, ru done now?

iI'm not above it but it is 3 hours away and 5 day a week. The pay would be ok bu away from home I either want a 4 day work week or great pay (oilfield).

II forgot to mention. They said basically everybody there has had corona, around a thousand people. Almost nobody had was sick but the tested positive. Only a handful went to the hospital and a couple died. They all had other conditions.

Thx-Ace

2 hours ago, Delta88 said:

last time I saw a chain gang it was while riding by Cummins. Parchman   in MS was self sufficient for many years; even had a cattle unit.

And a Rodeo.