BrodyNC

Tach options for old tractors

So my 240 has a broken tachometer and no tach drive cable at all. My dad’s WD came from the factory with no tach, like most tractors in the 40’s. 

So, is their anything aftermarket out their to read and display rpms on an old tractor motor? I know I could buy a new tach and drive cable for my 240, but what about the wd which never had a tach? I don’t care about mph and engine hours like my original 240 could display, I just want to know engine rpms. 

I recall reading about temporary set ups you can put on the motor to see rpms while tuning, but is there anything small that could read the rpms of the crank pulley and have a display at the dash permanently? 

Thanks, Brody 

The easiest way Brody, is to replace the tach and cable.  There are quality new tachometers available and used ones if you shop around.  Cables are cheap.  Wonderful job on the 240 and plow, keep up the good work!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, nepoweshiekfarmalls said:

The easiest way Brody, is to replace the tach and cable. 

Through every phase of restoring the 240 we always said we’ve spent to much money already, tach isn’t important right now. Cables do seem to be cheap but the tach always seems to be relatively expensive. I might consider buying a tach now that everything else on the 240 is done (except new rear tires). I was just curious if there are other ways to have a tach 

If you are putting it on a gas engine with 12 volt, you could get a cheap universal tach for about $25

12 minutes ago, jd4440 said:

If you are putting it on a gas engine with 12 volt, you could get a cheap universal tach for about $25

On the 240 with the aftermarket until your done farting around  makeing something else work just replacing the stock parts would be a no brainer...........................Small electric tach would work on the other, as long as its 12 volt.

Spend the money and put an original tach back in.  It's just money. You can make more. That's the only option I would consider. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, BrodyNC said:

So my 240 has a broken tachometer and no tach drive cable at all. My dad’s WD came from the factory with no tach, like most tractors in the 40’s. 

So, is their anything aftermarket out their to read and display rpms on an old tractor motor? I know I could buy a new tach and drive cable for my 240, but what about the wd which never had a tach? I don’t care about mph and engine hours like my original 240 could display, I just want to know engine rpms. 

I recall reading about temporary set ups you can put on the motor to see rpms while tuning, but is there anything small that could read the rpms of the crank pulley and have a display at the dash permanently? 

Thanks, Brody 

On your 240 I would fix your original tach. Star speedometer  can fix it and make a new cable. I have had a few fixed there and have 0 complaints. My 1066 tach has just shy of 1000hrs on it since it was fixed. I haven't heard much good  about aftermarket tachs.

• Like 2

Well y’all have convinced me to fix it the way it should be. Found the cable and other pieces on yesterday’s tractor. 

https://www.ebay.com/p/10024429033

Found this tach on eBay. That sounds to good to be true, $30 for a new tach? What am I missing here? 

22 minutes ago, BrodyNC said:

Well y’all have convinced me to fix it the way it should be. Found the cable and other pieces on yesterday’s tractor. 

https://www.ebay.com/p/10024429033

Found this tach on eBay. That sounds to good to be true, $30 for a new tach? What am I missing here? 

That seller is from India..... I would definitely not buy it from them.....

If you want to buy on ebay, I'd be more apt to buy this one. 

https://www.ebay.com/i/221257964308?chn=ps&norover=1&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-117182-37290-0&mkcid=2&itemid=221257964308&targetid=883569233946&device=m&mktype=pla&googleloc=1016367&poi=&campaignid=9338046866&mkgroupid=94993820819&rlsatarget=pla-883569233946&abcId=1139336&merchantid=113589998&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI-eKSpOz46QIVF4-GCh1OWAxlEAQYAyABEgI0OPD_BwE

• Thanks 1

Definitely look for sellers that ship from a USA location, as you never know how long it's going to take to get to you from China or India, especially now. Even if it cost a few bucks more.

The product itself is going to be the same no matter who you buy from, or how much you pay. High price usually doesn't mean high quality; the seller is just trying to fool you into thinking that because you're paying more, you're getting something better. Unless you can VERIFY otherwise, all these tachs are made on the same line in the same factory, packed in white boxes, and shipped to whoever pays for them.

An alternative could be an electric tach that senses RPM off the coil. Problem with these is finding one that only goes up to 3000 RPM, and is the right size to fit in the dash. I was only able to find ones with 5000RPM or higher ranges, so the needle would barely move on a tractor.

• Like 1

Probably cant find one easily now but didnt there used to be aftermaarket add on tachs when wd and m aged tractors where newish? Think you could get just hourmeters lso at one time?

• Like 1

Another thing to note is there are tach available just like I posted above, with and without the IH emblem.  They are $100 more with an emblem.  I'm sure it is a licensing thing.  Also, All States Ag Parts, Steiner and others carry just a tach/ hour meter that was an optional replacement.  It doesn't have the built in speedo, just engine RPM. Not enough difference in price IMHO to go with those. 

Alright thanks for the help everyone. 

I wired in an electric hour meter when we rebuilt the motor last May. I was just wondering if their was a tach option similar to that. (cheap and functional, but not original). But I'm convinced now just to fix it the way it should be.