I went and looked at a 1486 with some transmission issues. The tractor would get stuck in high range and could not move the lever out. It also needs a clutch so maybe that will solve that issue. Do these tractors have differential issues? I jacked up the rear of the tractor and spun one wheel and expected the other wheel to turn the opposite direction, but no movement. Also had a lot of filings in the filter screen and in the speed trans when i drained a little out.

8 hours ago, fordfx413 said:

I went and looked at a 1486 with some transmission issues. The tractor would get stuck in high range and could not move the lever out. It also needs a clutch so maybe that will solve that issue. Do these tractors have differential issues? I jacked up the rear of the tractor and spun one wheel and expected the other wheel to turn the opposite direction, but no movement. Also had a lot of filings in the filter screen and in the speed trans when i drained a little out.

How many hours does it have metal in the filter screen is not good could have a bearing failure somewhere and be very costly to repair if the whole transmission ans speed transmission need to be rebulit

I'm not sure of the hours it has. It been run hard though. They were side dressing corn when this all occurred. When i drained oil out, it was really dark with a burnt clutch smell. They said the smoked the PTO clutch last fall, so i was going to pull it and check the clutches. They also thought that the T/A wasn't acting right, so I'm going to check pressures. Basically a lot going on with this tractor.

If your tranny is in gear, and you can spin one wheel w/o the other moving, then the differential is toast.    Not in gear, the pinion & gears can spin instead.

Sounds like the clutch is bad,  the T/A may be out, the differential spider gears pins are worn off, and the PTO is fried.

3 hours ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

If your tranny is in gear, and you can spin one wheel w/o the other moving, then the differential is toast.    Not in gear, the pinion & gears can spin instead.

Sounds like the clutch is bad,  the T/A may be out, the differential spider gears pins are worn off, and the PTO is fried.

Other than that it's a nice rig 😳

• Haha 1
2 hours ago, Missouri Mule said:

Other than that it's a nice rig 😳

If the engine and radiator are good, front end is solid,  tires are nice, cab is rust free with nice interior and the A/C is ice cold! 😄

20 hours ago, fordfx413 said:

went and looked at a 1486 with some transmission issues. The tractor would get stuck in high range and could not move the lever out.

Huh, im dealing with that issue on a 786 at the moment except ours the lever is stuck in low. Disconnect the linkage from the lever and ours can be shifted by reaching down and grabbing the plate attached to the shifting shaft going down to the forks in the range Transmission, so ours is binding in the linkages before it goes into the Transmission. 

I started working on ours today until this afternoon's other jobs turned into a $---show and I didn't get back to it. Maybe tomorrow.

Yeah, how many hundred HP do they have the engine cranking out? It was quite popular in the day to crank those DT436's up to roll the coal and then flog the tractor like a rented mule. That ended up in accelerated drivetrain wear, differential failures, or ticking time bombs waiting until the spring of 2020 to go off...

IIRC even IH admitted these drivetrains could only handle 165HP reliably. Beyond that, quickly diminishing returns.

It's funny how many are terrified of a 14 rear end and a turned fuel screw. Have several 14's and they are all turned way up. Have only had one failure in 40 years of running 14's in a rear end. And I wrecked that one myself doing something stupid. My point is drive them with a brain in your head and very few problems. Care is everything though, and many had no care and hence destruction.

• Like 1

Salvage tractor. If you got it free you'd never come out on it. You can see how much love it's had if they ran it since last fall with burnt hydraulic oil and their sidedressing corn with it now.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

856 has a point! :)

A very valid point!

On 6/12/2020 at 1:13 AM, INTERNATIONAL 1466 said:

It's funny how many are terrified of a 14 rear end and a turned fuel screw. Have several 14's and they are all turned way up. Have only had one failure in 40 years of running 14's in a rear end. And I wrecked that one myself doing something stupid. My point is drive them with a brain in your head and very few problems. Care is everything though, and many had no care and hence destruction.

You've summed up the exact reasons why people are wary of 14's with a turned up fuel screw quite nicely in your attempt to discredit those who are indeed wary.

Here in Western NY this would be a clean one owner tractor though. I love that line. It's so true.

3 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

You've summed up the exact reasons why people are wary of 14's with a turned up fuel screw quite nicely in your attempt to discredit those who are indeed wary.

Here in Western NY this would be a clean one owner tractor though. I love that line. It's so true.

My attempt to discredit? I wasn't trying to discredit anyone or anything.