We have a IH 574 Diesel. The other day when hooking up the brush hog my wife turned the PTO by hand with the tractor off to align the shaft with brush hog sleeve. Should this turn by hand?

Yep......won't turn 360 degrees but will turn enough to align splines for attaching shaft. That is with engine shut off so brake isn't holding. 

Do you have a big goiter sticking out the back the PTO shaft originates from? Hydraulic PTOs would turn some until engaged.

Some pros turn easy with engine off & some are hard to turn. Our old Letter series turn easy by hand. The 7/8/@ 1206 we use on augers you can't turn the PTO by hand but can using a small pipe wrench.

Thanks cant turn it by hand when the tractor is running but can almost go 360 with it off. Other issue i have run into now is the PTO slows/bogs if there is heavy pressure on it. IR brush hogging thick weeds or trying to round bale. If just tething or light brush hogging there is no issue. SO now to figure this out. I have to check for debris around the lever see if maybe IDK lol

Could be the clutch pack didn’t think of that. It has 8000 and some hours and I doubt that was ever checked

May only need to re adjust the clutch a tad!--usually dont take much!

895 PTO turns some with engine off, sometimes still not enough to hook up shaft.