A 430 ih square baler is advertised locally.  Priced pretty cheap, and I wouldn't mind having a square baler anyway, but have zero experience around them.  Whats the good bad and ugly on them?  It is twine tie.  Thanks.

They're 50 years old, and likely very worn, if not completely worn out.

My personal opinion on them is very poor after bad experiences with reliability on 430 and then a 435 baler in my youth. After they got a little wear on them, neither baler would tie reliably no matter what adjustments you made or who worked on them, and every time it would miss, the chamber would be full of untied bales. Once it missed, you had to stop, tie all the loose bales in the chamber by hand, clear out the fouled knotter, and start again. Doing that 6-7 times a load to get 125 bales in the wagon got REAL old REAL quick.

It did not matter what we did, or what anyone else did. Follow the adjustment for problem A, and it would start doing problem C. Fix it for problem C, and it would start problem B. Fix it for problem B, and it would go back to problem A.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

i have the 430 my dad and uncle bought new. baled thousands of bales with it. in my youth i used to pray it would miss a tie so could have a brake on the rack. my uncle thought all bales should weigh at least 60 lbs. and we where in a stock car race. been a really good baler keptup good will miss the first bale everytime then maybe 1 in 500

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Make sure it has the "All Twine" knotters, my brother had a 430 for years, then a neighbor retired and he had an IH 435 that he hadn't used much as the last while he had done all round bales. My brother bought the 435, we transferred the thrower from the 430 to the 435 and he sold his 430 to someone. He likes the 435 better as it has the wider pickup that is better bigger windrows. He does half of his hay crop with the 435 for horse people and the rest in rounds for his beef cattle.
Both the 430 and 435 were good balers.

• Thanks 1
10 hours ago, Matt Kirsch said:

They're 50 years old, and likely very worn, if not completely worn out.

My personal opinion on them is very poor after bad experiences with reliability on 430 and then a 435 baler in my youth. After they got a little wear on them, neither baler would tie reliably no matter what adjustments you made or who worked on them, and every time it would miss, the chamber would be full of untied bales. Once it missed, you had to stop, tie all the loose bales in the chamber by hand, clear out the fouled knotter, and start again. Doing that 6-7 times a load to get 125 bales in the wagon got REAL old REAL quick.

It did not matter what we did, or what anyone else did. Follow the adjustment for problem A, and it would start doing problem C. Fix it for problem C, and it would start problem B. Fix it for problem B, and it would go back to problem A.

agree 100%

• Thanks 1

I like mine, it usually does a good job, I’ve made an awefull lot of bales over the years. Mine will miss a tie every now and again, and sometimes the twine will catch on the bill hook. I make mostly rounds now but usually pull the 430 out every year to make a few hundred squares.

• Thanks 1