2166 with 1020 30 ft

No plain and simple answer.  Here, in the land of tough stemmed, roping, green soybeans where we don’t see a frost until November.

No it won’t.

• Like 1

Yes it will. I have ran a 30' 1020 on my 2144 for many years. Originally had the 5.9 turned up and could run 50bu at 5 mph and 70 bu at 3.5. mph. The 5.9 will not stand it forever and finally gave up so I swapped in an 8.3 from a 2188 which basically made a 2366. The 2166 has 205 hp stock and will be fine there with 45 bu beans. You will need to extend the auger, even the 208" auger is too short for a semi, if you have wagons you can back up to them with the auger back a little and get dumped.

Buddy had one in a 1666, he knew exactly when it got tough.  He'd slug it first when the 2188 would growl and run another hour or so.

This is one of those really weird things.....I've seen heads that will cut like a dream at 6+ mph, and other heads of the exact same model that push beans over at 3mph.    I think most heads will cut OK at higher speeds, if everything is "right".   This means good sections, good guards, correct angle on the bar, sickle to guard timing, stabilizer bars not sloppy, and the wobble box in good shape and drive not sloppy.     It also depends on being able to cut LOW on hard ground....having to raise up the cutterbar at all means plants push easier.

And of course, it always depends on the plant variety and how well they get sucked away from the sickle.   A draper or sharp, properly adjusted cross auger makes a big difference

7 hours ago, dale560 said:

I am wondering also. 3.9 is tops here. In beans a lot less.

Change the drive pulley on sickle.  Parts book shows several sizes for 1020 head.  I ran the fast one for a couple years at 7 mph. Drawback is it will wear out the sickle and guards twice as fast. 

jerry

We ran a 2366 with a 25' 1020 for 5 years. Early in the season with tough beans I wish we only had a 20'. Late in the season after a hard frost I wish we would have had a 30'. This was 60 65 BPA beans , most days 3.5 - 4 mph. 

Be careful using the high speed pulley setup. My 1020 had it, didn’t realize it and pretty near vibrated the head to death. When I talked to the dealer about my head issues after spending a bunch of money in repairs they said “oh you got the high speed pulley they’re known to do damage”. Gee thanks for the info. 

John

1 hour ago, Weapon said:

Be careful using the high speed pulley setup. My 1020 had it, didn’t realize it and pretty near vibrated the head to death. When I talked to the dealer about my head issues after spending a bunch of money in repairs they said “oh you got the high speed pulley they’re known to do damage”. Gee thanks for the info. 

John

Actually there are 3 different size wobble box drive pulleys as I recall. Low speed was designed for 1.5" cut, iirc it was under 500 cpm( cycles oer minute). Medium was approx 550 com & was intended for normall 3" sickle. Then there was the high speed pulley, around 600 cpm.  I know several 1.5" cut head got changed to 3" cut and the pulley didnt get changed. We were one of them. Parts man didnt realize the sickle needed speeded up. Fought the head for a couple years until service manager asked if we changed the sickle drive pulley when we switched to the 3" cut. Made a different head out of it when we went to the med spd pulley. We asked about the high speed pulley & he said it was too fast, would shake the head apart.