Sign in to follow this  
mikeih354

1872 won't charge

I have tractor and engine manuals says check rectifier-regulator where is that on the tractor. I want to check everything before I get to stator. Battery don't have enough charge to engage pto. Help would be appreciated thanks mike.

Rectifier is on top of blower housing on right side above flywheel. Small rectangle with a 1/4" bolt on each side and a flat 3 terminal wiring harness. 

Measure across 2 outside terminals at wide open throttle and you should have 28-29 volts AC.  Center terminal to ground should read 14-14.5 volts DC

Anything less and dive deeper.  Low AC usually bad starter, low DC good AC bad regulator.

Also, if charging system checks out, PTO clutch could be out of adjustment or going out.  If gap is too wide you dont have the juice to engage the clutch.    If coil is bad same deal, cant make enough magnetism to engage. 

Just put in new rectifier how do I check if it's charging, checked on battery Sims to be charging volts going up.

14-14.5 volts at battery when running over 1/2 throttle means its charging.

Basically same checks above apply to new regulator as well.....

Should have 14.5 volts DC center pin to good ground.  If you dont, the VR is likely bad.

Got new rectifier from Amazon no good just ordered one from dealer, no more messing around.