On This Day was D-Day

What the average 18 to 22 year old of today should understand what the average 18 to 22 year old was doing in June of 1944. 

• Like 5

If you read or watch any of the history of the landings. One of the American landing sections was heavily fought over. The other landing sites had less opposition. They say the Lts and Captains  were getting killed and it was up to the  seargents to gather up troops form a plan advance. There is footage from one of the naval ships where a destroyer or battleship was monitoring radio and battle messages from observers. The ships captain without orders brought ship into gun range turned broadside in shallow waters and gave fire support to allied troops for hours. These gallant efforts of individual officers and enlisted people turned to battle on the beachhead and what was looking like a failure to hold on to landing area turned victorious. I have watched history shows on  D Day landings but this excerpt says it all. Navy admiral ordered ships in to support troops guns were fired so rapidly they glowed red. Hosting them down with water to keep up and support the troops. It truly was a battle for freedom.

AABD2D60-22B6-4BF0-BC62-C7A54F80344E.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Always a SALUTE from here.🇺🇸

Hel! of a note.  We used to carry out foreign invasions------now we are being invaded from within from our own children and grandchildren. (younger generation-----not necessarily mine or yours;  but maybe some of our neighbors???)   Think about it.

Stand up America!!!!!🇺🇸

DD

• Like 2

**** of a note that its being overshadowed by all of the sh@t going on in this country right now. If the young idiots only knew about the sacrifice. But that word is no longer or has never been in their vocabulary.

• Like 1

Could not stand anymore of the current events, no news tonight for me. Expedition Unknown on  Discovery channel is playing now with all D Day stories.

8 hours ago, dale560 said:

If you read or watch any of the history of the landings. One of the American landing sections was heavily fought over. The other landing sites had less opposition. They say the Lts and Captains  were getting killed and it was up to the  seargents to gather up troops form a plan advance. There is footage from one of the naval ships where a destroyer or battleship was monitoring radio and battle messages from observers. The ships captain without orders brought ship into gun range turned broadside in shallow waters and gave fire support to allied troops for hours. These gallant efforts of individual officers and enlisted people turned to battle on the beachhead and what was looking like a failure to hold on to landing area turned victorious. I have watched history shows on  D Day landings but this excerpt says it all. Navy admiral ordered ships in to support troops guns were fired so rapidly they glowed red. Hosting them down with water to keep up and support the troops. It truly was a battle for freedom.

AABD2D60-22B6-4BF0-BC62-C7A54F80344E.png

That is on right now, Bradley was pretty much at a standstill, he was weighing his options when the navy stepped in and used their big guns and opened up for the ground troops. 

I can’t ever watch this stuff without getting  all misty every bloody time, I really think more people need to watch this stuff and see why they can act like complete idiots and have the freedom to do so.

• Like 1