Equipment Fails and stuck

AKwelder

12 hours ago, Dave Downs said:

50 some years ago when the airport had been a grass they just paved over the grass!!

We've occasionally sunk into the pavement. We always try to find the PCN - Pavement classification number and compare it to out ACN or aircraft classification number but many of the small airports of the world haven't evaluated /reported it. Some places the runway is strong enough but the ramp isn't and we've arranged 1" plywood to park on. The airport management in Moab, Utah where we used to frequent poured a concrete pad for us and other jets to park. Runway was OK; ramp pavement started to give in the heat.

My earliest experience was as a young mechanic based in PHL. I was maneuvering an L1011 with a tug to the edge of the cargo ramp so we could replace an engine. Unknowingly I pushed it from the ramp onto a vehicle road and it started to sink! Pulled it forward immediately and parked it somewhere else. Seal coating made it indistinguishable in the dark.

Jets put a lot of weight on a very small footprint. I can imagine the shock when the tri axle started to sink on what should have been a deep base.

Pics not us but a Gulfstream. I don't know the story offhand but it looks like a fuel hose attached so it may have sunk as they fueled. It holds about 40,000lb of fuel so you can imagine the load on the pavement.

GS sunk 2.png

GS sunk 1.jpg

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Threads like this kind of ease the pain when I think I'm having a bad day! Most of mine aren't nearly as bad as most portrayed here.

Some pics of what was probably the worst day I've had, (so far). The gear on a newly acquired Parker 4000 folded up going to the elevator. Luckily I was only about a mile from home and the road ditch was wide and accommodating. It was all the ol' 10 wanted to drag it off the road. Chained it to the loader on the 6080 and took her home backwards. Managed to mangle the pallet forks in that process so I got to rebuild them. High point of this deal was the need for some tall stands to repair this thing, built them over the winter and got the wagon fixed in March.

100_0697.JPG

100_0699.JPG

100_0700.JPG

100_0701.JPG

100_0766.JPG

Those wide truck tires were a killer on Demco 365 axles as well. Always kept a dozen rights and lefts on hand. Seemed they broke the most when turning. 

1 hour ago, cedar farm said:

Those wide truck tires were a killer on Demco 365 axles as well. Always kept a dozen rights and lefts on hand. Seemed they broke the most when turning. 

Legend has it that on one occasion a Demco wagon equipped with narrow truck tires came off the gravel road to cross Hwy 18 in Boyden by Demco and when the front tires hit the pavement of 18 both front spindles broke on the spot.

I love these threads.  When I see pictures of others getting tractors and combines stuck, I do not feel alone!  During summer wheat harvest, late summer or early fall corn, fall milo and bean harvest, when wet, I always park grain trucks on high ground or roadway and combine travels to grain truck.  A grain truck sunk in the field is a far bigger PIA than the combine traveling a little further to unload.

Just now, Gearclash said:

Legend has it that on one occasion a Demco wagon equipped with narrow truck tires came off the gravel road to cross Hwy 18 in Boyden by Demco and when the front tires hit the pavement of 18 both front spindles broke on the spot.

very common. Had a guy broke down at the Ireton elevator call. His broke turning by the scale blocking it. He came in for a pair swearing never a Demco again. 75 year old man was pulling two 365's and turning toward Rock valley on the black top. Busted both right on the pavement turning out of the driveway. Boy was he p@#$$%#  Farmers mutual out of Hull sent a guy down to find out what was going on because of all the insurance claims coming in. Called over to Demco and talked to their head engineer. He said "our 12 ton spindles are the size as J & M's" I happened to have a very dusty J & M 12 ton spindle in the bin. Sent it over to Boyden for them to look at a real 12 ton spindle. A year or so later Demco came out with their 12 ton HD running gear. Guess what their new spindle looked like.

5 hours ago, RichardDSalyer said:

I love these threads.  When I see pictures of others getting tractors and combines stuck, I do not feel alone!  During summer wheat harvest, late summer or early fall corn, fall milo and bean harvest, when wet, I always park grain trucks on high ground or roadway and combine travels to grain truck.  A grain truck sunk in the field is a far bigger PIA than the combine traveling a little further to unload.

Me to. My former employer was the type that always thought when something broke it was the drivers.fault. When we were chopping corn one year spindle broke on one of the wagons. He was all he!! Bent to figure out what happened. I was running the chopper and I said that it's a 30+ year old running gear, what do you expect. Stuff breaks, people fix it, life moves on.

On 6/5/2020 at 3:48 AM, td9inidaho said:

There seems to be similar situations when kids use our equipment, never thought it possible, but my son buried the td9 so bad he broke the winch cable and the 8 wouldn't help either. Had to lift it several times and place logs under it to finally get it out

Mark

IMG_20170530_162532459.jpg

certainly a  great  effort from your lad  !!!!…..he must have waited until the old TD9 was floating on her belly...before throwing the clutch out  !!

Mike

On 6/7/2020 at 12:12 PM, cedar farm said:

That may be the case, I'm not sure. That was only the second time I headed to town after buying that thing. First time only had about 2/3 of a load of beans on it, may have still had the 16.5x16.1's on it then. They were really weather cracked so I put the super singles on it. There was evidence the gear was already cracked and just waiting for the right bump to let go and it did!

1 hour ago, DT Fan said:

That may be the case, I'm not sure. That was only the second time I headed to town after buying that thing. First time only had about 2/3 of a load of beans on it, may have still had the 16.5x16.1's on it then. They were really weather cracked so I put the super singles on it. There was evidence the gear was already cracked and just waiting for the right bump to let go and it did!

I have a couple of the parker 2600 wagons myself. They hold around 325 bushels. The parker spindles look like good spindles. Mine are on floatations. I see you have the double doors. I suppose thats a 450-500 bushel box. I bet it was the old crack that finally gave way on yours.

Mike

On 6/7/2020 at 3:35 PM, MTO said:

I`ll give you the story after bit.

Lucky man.

CIH 895 with  7ish ft 3pt disc mower.

DSC00405.JPG

DSC00404.JPG

DSC00403.JPG

DSC00401.JPG

DSC00399.JPG

He had the mower up driving across the sidehill? Those mowers have torque to swing a tractor whatever way they want to

On 6/7/2020 at 2:35 PM, MTO said:

I`ll give you the story after bit.

Lucky man.

CIH 895 with  7ish ft 3pt disc mower.

DSC00405.JPG

DSC00404.JPG

DSC00403.JPG

DSC00401.JPG

DSC00399.JPG

Looks like a lot of wasted grass. 6 strand barbwire fence and a bunch of 6wt calves would save a lot of trouble and make a few bucks....

1 hour ago, new guy said:

Looks like a lot of wasted grass. 6 strand barbwire fence and a bunch of 6wt calves would save a lot of trouble and make a few bucks....

His dad raised beef on this farm. When dad passed, he tore down fences, house, barn and mows everything the renter doesn't harvest.

2 hours ago, bitty said:

He had the mower up driving across the sidehill? Those mowers have torque to swing a tractor whatever way they want to

He dropped lower rear and spun out. Got backhoe and before hooking chain, started  895 and dismounted.  Musta bumped lever as he walked away, heard engine labor as mower creeped  up and over it went

Motor  hammered hard, bearings  b4 he could bar door open to shut off

Tractor I saw sitting on June 4 is still in the field. They bailed the hay around it, don't get it moved soon they'll be mowing around it! The wheel and tire are gone, wonder what's broken?

IMG_0443.JPG

1 hour ago, MinnesotaFarmall said:

I call this one the road ditch special. Bent perfect for mowing all the grass out of your ditch. Don't know who's it is, it was at the local dealer. 

KIMG1578.JPG

I have a feeling the tractor got stuck and they hooked a chain to the cutter bar to pull it out backwards. I have seen it done although not that bad

Archived