Sign in to follow this  
Ihfan4life

Port-a-power?

What’s everyone buying for porta-powers? The cheap harbor fright or more expensive ones? Is there any difference between them? Does the more expensive one come with all the fancy gadgets and are those things worth having? 
I’m not looking to do a lot but I have some projects that I need one for.

I have cheap one been working good but I don’t use it a lot.

• Like 1

I did use mine pretty hard before I closed up the garage..............Always bought Hazard Fraught and if it broke, I would get another and use the old one for parts.  I only went through 2, and mine wasn't the one that broke.  I had my brothers and mine trying to pull the drive hub for the apron chain off the shaft and out of the gear box, ended up splitting his spreader and had to use a different method to get it out.

for normal use the cheap ones usually work. if your going to use alot enerpac or otc is the way to go but way more expensive

Place I worked at that built automobile scrap metal shredder rotors had an air powered Enerpac. Imagine a hammer mill feed grinder rotor on steroids, rotor 9-10 feet wide, 6-7 feet in diameter, 16 or 20 inch diameter forged shaft 15 to 18 feet long tied to 5000 to 7000 hp electric motors. The alloy castings were machined to within .002-.003" diameter of the. shaft size, heavy coat of anti-sieze brushed on shaft before parts slid on, I bought anti-sieze by the 5 gallon buckets! Finished new rotor without wear parts weighed 70,000-80,000#, had a Super-Duty rotor for Auto-Shred of DETROIT that weighed 120,000#. They had a mountain of Detroit Diesel 2-stroke bus engines they wanted GONE. And they broke our rotor, fed a 40 ft I-beam in it,wrapped around a spider and broke the end off. We sent our Field Service guy and the Enerpac and the parts to Detroit. Carl got sent ALL over!

Our Enerpac got used a Lot. The distributor said we should see 10,000# psi from the pump. I think trying to get our pump making 10,000 psi became his retirement program, 9000 psi cold and 8000 psi warm/hot was all we ever saw after 4-5 trips in for repair, if 2 cylinders wouldn't move something we added a third, or a 4th, I forget if they were 50 or 100 ton cylinders, about 7-8" diameter and 7 inches tall.  

The idea behind the air powered pump was ALL scrap yards had compressed air around their shredder mills, but every scrap yard had different electric power around there. We covered all of North America, parts of Canada has different power than the US.

• Like 1

The cast parts of the cheapos will break pretty easily

• Like 1

I have a "big red" 4 ton that's done everything I could expect it to.  I'd get the 10 ton next time, though. Usually when I get to needing the porta power, more would be better.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Place I worked at that built automobile scrap metal shredder rotors had an air powered Enerpac. Imagine a hammer mill feed grinder rotor on steroids, rotor 9-10 feet wide, 6-7 feet in diameter, 16 or 20 inch diameter forged shaft 15 to 18 feet long tied to 5000 to 7000 hp electric motors. The alloy castings were machined to within .002-.003" diameter of the. shaft size, heavy coat of anti-sieze brushed on shaft before parts slid on, I bought anti-sieze by the 5 gallon buckets! Finished new rotor without wear parts weighed 70,000-80,000#, had a Super-Duty rotor for Auto-Shred of DETROIT that weighed 120,000#. They had a mountain of Detroit Diesel 2-stroke bus engines they wanted GONE. And they broke our rotor, fed a 40 ft I-beam in it,wrapped around a spider and broke the end off. We sent our Field Service guy and the Enerpac and the parts to Detroit. Carl got sent ALL over!

Our Enerpac got used a Lot. The distributor said we should see 10,000# psi from the pump. I think trying to get our pump making 10,000 psi became his retirement program, 9000 psi cold and 8000 psi warm/hot was all we ever saw after 4-5 trips in for repair, if 2 cylinders wouldn't move something we added a third, or a 4th, I forget if they were 50 or 100 ton cylinders, about 7-8" diameter and 7 inches tall.  

The idea behind the air powered pump was ALL scrap yards had compressed air around their shredder mills, but every scrap yard had different electric power around there. We covered all of North America, parts of Canada has different power than the US.

We have an air powered enerpac I think it goes to 10000 on 120 of air has outlasted several electric models and gets abused.