Jump to content
Amo

Lockable door knob

Recommended Posts

So the door knob to the front door of my mom's house won't work.  I take both knobs off, and they turn like they should if unlocked.  The plunger that goes into the door jam will not retract into the door.  I can't even move it with a screw driver.  Any thoughts?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Have you tried removing the handle completely from the door. I would try this and maybe give it a cleaning. Test it before you put it back on to confirm all the parts are working 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes, it's both sides of the knob are out.  If I knew how to post a pic on this site I would.  Knob is 4 months old.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The two little brass colored things in the center hole is what would retract the plunger out of the jam.  I can't move them.  

15911484258016551009010073768251.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There's a little roll pin that goes in a slot on the right edge.  Looks like that'd pull the outer part of the plunger further into the door if I moved it to the left.  Really can't see that doing anything.  Something is messed up inside.  I just don't know what.  It's mom's favorite door.  I told her might need a chainsaw 🤣.  I can't even pull the pins on the hinges because the hinge on the door can't come past the jam with it shut.  I'm not sure what to do except call a lock smith.  Don't have any within 60 miles that I'm aware of.

15911488618888605065654485668868.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  Seems Simple enough,      Is the door "Bound" against the Stricker Plate?   Will the Door Raddle Against the Stricker Plate?

I can see scratches on the Stricker Plate, are these Witness marks from the "old" door lock?

Is it possible for the "Weight" of the door to be resting on the Stricker Plate?

My mother in law slammed one of her interior doors so hard,    that the sudden stop of the  lock, "Broke" the locking part off, and wedged in the small opening!!

We removed the hinge pins,  removed the door, and repaired the lock.  

My 2 cents,    Jim Droscha

 

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The hole in the center that looks like a half moon is where the latch is retracted. Hold the knob that has the rods that go through the door and turn the knob like your opening the door. You will see how the center shaft rotates and opens the door.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What he said. Get your screwdriver back in there, and get a Thin blade/putty knife/screwdriver and work it in between the door and the striker and try to help push it back ( you really shouldn’t have to though).  Like he said, try wiggling push/pull on the door and maybe place a wedge/bar under the door and lift up. Take a light, get a stool, look in the crack all around the door and make sure it isn’t physically stuck in the frame, at an angle that is binding up your latch mechanism.  It’s one of those things.....so simple that we can’t explain it. Please don’t pay a locksmith. If you don’t get it....have a neighbor thats close? 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
25 minutes ago, MarkG said:

The hole in the center that looks like a half moon is where the latch is retracted. Hold the knob that has the rods that go through the door and turn the knob like your opening the door. You will see how the center shaft rotates and opens the door.

Yuppers.  Been pushing on the half moon brass colored part with a screw driver.  It won't budge.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

What he said. Get your screwdriver back in there, and get a Thin blade/putty knife/screwdriver and work it in between the door and the striker and try to help push it back ( you really shouldn’t have to though).  Like he said, try wiggling push/pull on the door and maybe place a wedge/bar under the door and lift up. Take a light, get a stool, look in the crack all around the door and make sure it isn’t physically stuck in the frame, at an angle that is binding up your latch mechanism.  It’s one of those things.....so simple that we can’t explain it. Please don’t pay a locksmith. If you don’t get it....have a neighbor thats close? 

 

 

Ok.  I'll try again tomorrow.  Unless I'm reading it wrong, I think I've been trying to do what your telling me to do.  Doesn't appear to be warped/bound up.  Mom shut the door last night and locked it.  Couldn't rotate the knob this morning.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'd take it out in pieces before I destroyed the door.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
45 minutes ago, DroschaFamilyDairy said:

  Seems Simple enough,      Is the door "Bound" against the Stricker Plate?   Will the Door Raddle Against the Stricker Plate?

I can see scratches on the Stricker Plate, are these Witness marks from the "old" door lock?

Is it possible for the "Weight" of the door to be resting on the Stricker Plate?

My mother in law slammed one of her interior doors so hard,    that the sudden stop of the  lock, "Broke" the locking part off, and wedged in the small opening!!

We removed the hinge pins,  removed the door, and repaired the lock.  

My 2 cents,    Jim Droscha

 

I'm not sure what the scratches on the striker plate are from.  Replaced the knob this winter.  The part of the "plunger" that is outside the door didn't fit quite the best.  I kinda dug around and made it fit better.  I'm wondering if that isn't the culprit with warmer weather and all.....stuff swelled a bit overnight and here we are.  It worked perfectly last night when she locked up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Rawleigh99 said:

I'd take it out in pieces before I destroyed the door.

Brother mentioned a sawzall to cut the plunger if worse come to worse.  I'd thought of that. Weather stripping/jam on the other side.  Could probably get it done with the very outer tip of the blade.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Try a small pair of vice grips at the base of the center shaft. Then stick the knob and shaft into the door. The shaft might be long enough to reach. Then use vice grips handle for more leverage. If you need more leverage put the box end of a wrench on the vice grip handle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Large flat tip screw driver in the hole where the knob shaft went thru. Vise grips on screwdriver handle. Twist while tapping on the handle of the screwdriver lightly. A little wd40 sprayed in the action, it wont hurt the finish on the door.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I bought a couple of door knobs a couple/three years ago, as replacements for existing ones, and nothing lined up.  I ratted out the holes and got them to work half-azzed, but both only latch if you turn the knob one way.

I was NOT happy!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well something had it bound up against the striker plate.  Pushed on the door and mom was able to slide the plunger over with a screw driver.  First day of the year with serious heat.  Don't know if something swelled or what?  Door has been there, varnished and all for dang near 20 years 🤔

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I'm going to guess that the door got shut hard and both pins of the latch were in the strike plate. They are a security feature. The big tapered pin should enter the hole in the strike. The small thin pin should not go into the hole. In this position the bigger pin cannot be forced to retract with a credit card from the outside. Sometimes if the door gets slammed shut both get in the hole and then the pressure on the pins from the weather stripping makes it hard to turn the knob. Hope this makes sense. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...