7secondmalibu

1086 Hydraulic Pump Options

I read some old post about hitch pumps and have a few questions. 

I see Abiline machine sells 17 GPM pumps for $340 and everyone else has them for $450.  Anyone ever bought an Abiline machine pump?  Is it a cheap Chinese knockoff and I should spend the extra money?  Or same pump with less markup? 

I have a 1977 1086 which to me is a gear pump.  The guy I talked to at Abiline machine insisted the older pumps are piston and in 1980/1981 is when they went to gear pump.  I'm pretty sure he is backwards. 

I read all about the Teflon ring, so no issue and I'll probably just get one and install it during pump swaps.

Are any adjustments needed when installing the 17GPM pump, or bolt it in and go?

Thanks in advance. 

Starting at serial 48,000 the 1086 was factory equipped with the PPH hydraulic system.  Your 1977 would have a gear pump.  Sorry, I can’t speak to the quality of the Abilene pumps, but I am pretty sure your tractor had a 12 gallon pump originally.

10 hours ago, axial_al said:

Starting at serial 48,000 the 1086 was factory equipped with the PPH hydraulic system.  Your 1977 would have a gear pump.  Sorry, I can’t speak to the quality of the Abilene pumps, but I am pretty sure your tractor had a 12 gallon pump originally.

Thanks, that's what I thought also was the older tractors had gear pumps.  I may just call them today and ask who the manufacture is. Looking at the online images from Abiline machine vs Redrunrite and tractorpumps.com, Abiline machine uses a different manufacture unless they just use a photo of a random pump.  The driveshaft side plate is machined different in the photos. 

Keep me posted with what you find my 1486 needs a new hitch pump I think so I'll be in the market soon.   Loader on it is very slow....

22 hours ago, B.B. said:

Keep me posted with what you find my 1486 needs a new hitch pump I think so I'll be in the market soon.   Loader on it is very slow....

This weekend I'm pulling the pump and checking the Oring.  If the oring is not blown I will be ordering a 17GPM from RedRunRite.  Abiline said there's comes from overseas.  I would rather spend a little extra for made in the USA.  The guy I emailed at RedRunRight was very helpful in what to check first and look for.  It's appreciated.