nepoweshiekfarmalls

Anniversary Celebration Cub Cadet

My wife and I celebrated our 5th wedding Anniversary on May 23rd. To mark the occasion, She decided to purchase a Cub Cadet.  She found a nice looking 1200 with 44A deck, blade, chains and 2 sets of rear weights in Cedar Rapids.   I called the owner and made arrangements to look at the machine the next evening.   The owner said that his wife's grandparents purchased it new in Monticello, IA.  They had not used it much for several years, and decided to let it go. 

When I arrived that evening to look it it , She almost hated to part with it.  However, my name had seemed familiar to them.  After a phone call to another IH collector, they realized that we were all members of Iowa Chapter 5!  They remembered my name from my service as President for the last couple of years.   I was impressed how well the 1200 ran and how clean it was.  The only issue is a weak clutch. Easy enough to fix. We paid them and loaded up the mower and accessories. 

Last night, I mounted the deck and it mowed beautifully!  Plan to overhaul the clutch next weekend.

20200527_202755.jpg

20200527_220537.jpg

20200530_091928.jpg

20200530_091911.jpg

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

Nice! Even has the side shields. 

1200 makes a fantastic garden tractor.  Not so great as a mowing machine.  I hate mowing with a gear drive.  Much too slow.  Nice find!

Sharp old Quiet Line!!!!

I "THINK" the 1200 has the "In between" 2nd gear, want to say 17 tooth?  The original '61 to '63's and 70 & 100 had the 16 tooth, 3.2 mph, great mowing gear. My 72 has the 19 tooth, 3.9 mph, plenty fast if you have the horsepower. I mowed lots absolutely wide open in 2nd gear but it was all the transplanted 10 hp Kohler wanted.

Once I fixed a lot of the prior owners cobbled up repairs our old 129 hydro and 44A deck was a favorite. I thought I had my last mower with the 982 and 50C deck. Not sure where Onan/Cummins buys their points & condensers but I'm not paying $100 for parts that only last 40-50 hours. I'm pretty sure they come from China. I don't really have a problem with the tractor, it's the constant fiddling to keep the engine running. Onan did so many stupid design things on those B48G engines!  I'd love to drop a 2 cylinder air cooled Duetz engine in the tractor!

On 6/8/2020 at 12:03 PM, DOCTOR EVIL said:

I "THINK" the 1200 has the "In between" 2nd gear, want to say 17 tooth?  The original '61 to '63's and 70 & 100 had the 16 tooth, 3.2 mph, great mowing gear. My 72 has the 19 tooth, 3.9 mph, plenty fast if you have the horsepower. I mowed lots absolutely wide open in 2nd gear but it was all the transplanted 10 hp Kohler wanted.

Once I fixed a lot of the prior owners cobbled up repairs our old 129 hydro and 44A deck was a favorite. I thought I had my last mower with the 982 and 50C deck. Not sure where Onan/Cummins buys their points & condensers but I'm not paying $100 for parts that only last 40-50 hours. I'm pretty sure they come from China. I don't really have a problem with the tractor, it's the constant fiddling to keep the engine running. Onan did so many stupid design things on those B48G engines!  I'd love to drop a 2 cylinder air cooled Duetz engine in the tractor!

We have 3 129 hydro cubs. 2. 42" decks and a 44" deck. Love 'em.  Wore engines out on 2 of them.  On list for rebuilding. 

1200 is 17T second.

19T from a 122 is perfect for plowing/mowing with a 12hp gear drive.