things must be getting better cleaned up a bit today a ton of mixed steel , tin ,barrels and small stuff 55 a ton, they said was 25 recently but expect a better price next week,

Smaller yard near me us $70/ton for tin and long iron. Cast and short iron is $100. Doesn't make it worth the gas the gas to cut it up for $30 difference.

I haul scrap iron from a processor to a steel mill here in No East Nebraska.   Price coming in there is better than you are seeing.  Plus the price WONT tank "when PO PO cars hit the yard"   Theres soooooooooooooooo much more going on that drives the prices of scrap than you would believe. 

• Like 2

A month ago scrap steel was $20 a ton here ,   I have not checked again but I have at least 3 ton in the trailer ready to go. 

8 hours ago, Killer Red Mater said:

I haul scrap iron from a processor to a steel mill here in No East Nebraska.   Price coming in there is better than you are seeing.  Plus the price WONT tank "when PO PO cars hit the yard"   Theres soooooooooooooooo much more going on that drives the prices of scrap than you would believe. 

There's a daily newspaper, American Metal Market, that is strictly about the ferrous scrap business, scrap yards, steel mills, etc. Also has some filler articles on non-ferrous.  It's the Wall Street Journal of metals.  But KRM is exactly right,  the 47 cop cars burned the other night, and all the others since then aren't even a blip on the screen.  Heck, the day I placed the PO for 100,000-120,000# of 4140 Aircraft quality cold drawn and annealed 4" & 5" steel bars back in 1986 didn't effect anything one way or another.

9 hours ago, Killer Red Mater said:

I always figured foreign steel markets do more than anything to move markets as that's where demand is.  Cant imagine it being good as we are currently feuding.  

Maybe we will finally pull our heads out of our butts and build more arc furnaces here to process scrap..

• Like 1

$20 a ton here for mixed scrap a month ago. I'll have to see where it is now. Hopefully it doesn't go too high. I don't feel like having what little they didn't steal last time scrap was high, taken now.

8 hours ago, rcb said:

$20 a ton here for mixed scrap a month ago. I'll have to see where it is now. Hopefully it doesn't go too high. I don't feel like having what little they didn't steal last time scrap was high, taken now.

Same here...had “help” clean my scrap up including an old poop spreader I used as a wood trailer. Last I heard he was back in the big house...🤬

The biggest surprise I had with scrap was two years ago, I cleaned out my storage locker and took two 5 gallon pails of .38 brass and got over 200.00 for it, good mad money score.

I work in a mill in western pa, we melt 90 tons in less than an hour, with one furnace, it takes a lot of scrap to keep that thing happy for a week, a constant flow of trucks and rail cars. Most mills are either down or running at low volume right now, and the Chinese aren't buying much right now. That has a lot to do with the price.