Farmall 560 sediment bowl Replacement

dsp

Hi,

I need to replace the warped and badly leaking sediment bow assembly on the 560 diesel and was wondering if any of you guys have done something similar? It has been warped forever but now it just started leaking like a sieve. There was a mix of 4 different thick and thin cork gaskets above the glass bowl and no matter what I try now it will not seal up at all.  It seems like the quickest way is to just put a ball valve on (not sure of thread size) but it is nice having a water separator since often times there is at least some water in mine. I don't care about stock appearance, I just need something that that works effectively and doesn't leak.  Any help will be appreciated.

• Like 1

i replaced my seals with rubber that stopped mine - i drained the fuel, removed the sediment bowl and found issues with some old seal stuck to the housing where the glass meets teh seal/metal housing and that was what was causing teh offset - i couldnt see it with naked eye, thinking back after the fact i thot - why didnt i use a mirror to look at it DOH!!!

maybe you are beyond the point of a mirror but maybe its not teh housing or seal that is bad something is not allowing it to seat up level - i shouldnt say mine was rubber, it was that cork/rubber combo stuff they have 

I have succesfully  straightened a few of those sediment bowls on the 4 & 560's  over the years.  Not all worked out but enough to give them a try. I would find a good fit pipe or old bearing race and use a arbor press or vise.  The old M Diesels up through 450 would bend them up also.  You know how it goes, if it leaks, tighten it a little more and so it goes. 

Same way with oil filter canisters that cave in the top trying to stop a leak .  Other wise, just a shut off valve as a lot of tractors never did use that glass bowl under the tank.  The difference was that they  had a little bubble in the very bottom of the tank with a small line and shut off valve to drain off water.  BUT, many never had that valve opened because they didn't know what it was for. 

ASAP (All State Ag Parts) has replacements as does Ebay.  Can't speak for there quality but will soon as I need one as I have a leaking shut-off on my 656.

Scott

I got a couple new gaskets from the local case/IH dealer and they are a really nice thick rubber but the bowl rocks back and forth in the housing and leaks badly. The mirror is a pretty good idea. I had to twist my head pretty good to get a clear look under there and my housing is most definitely warped. I don't have an arbor press but do have a vise and some old bearing races lying around; it would be worth a shot. From what I can find, the aftermarket fuel bowl assemblies seem to be lacking in the quality department. I wonder if I can find a water separator/filter assembly from a diesel vehicle or industrial engine that will work. 

6 hours ago, dsp said:

What is the later style?

I did away with it and plumbed it like my 656 diesel same filter setup and basic design

It's not a diesel, but the factory installed sediment bowl on my Super H leaked, actually, leaked pretty bad. The shut-off valve leaked on through the fuel line to the carb and leaked externally. I bought a WHOLE new sediment bowl from my Case/IH dealer. Was Real happy when I saw the "Made in China" printed on the label.  I let it sit on the bench for a year or two. I finally installed it over a year ago. I don't smell the very strong gas smell when I walk into the shop anymore. I paused many times wondering if it was safe to flip the lights on!

I bought the valve stem sealing thread for the valve on the original sediment bowl, but it really didn't want to come apart. I really hate to put much pressure on diecast parts.

15 hours ago, dsp said:

I don't care about stock appearance, I just need something that that works effectively and doesn't leak.  

Then just replace the sediment bowl assembly.   They are easy to get, relatively cheap, and last a good long while.  It's pretty simple.....

Well, it was a pain but it seems like I was able to get the housing straightened out pretty good. When I rest the glass bowl on the housing there is no side to side wobble and only an almost imperceptible bit of movement front to back. Before there was about a 3/16 inch gap front to back. Hopefully the thick new rubber gasket should be good enough now to seal it up. Only issue now is whatever that sealer/packing material is on the shutoff valve crumbled and fell apart. It was so old and crappy I can't even tell what kind of material it was or how it was originally packed in there. Anybody have any advice on what to use and how to reseal those things?

10 hours ago, pete23 said:

Except a 656 has a separate water trap.

My fuel sediment bowl thing leaked continuously and one day in the shop I had both tractors close by and I thought what the heck same engine same fuel filters just get rid of the leaky thing i tee'ed a water drain (if anyone really uses them ) but it eliminated the mess

1 hour ago, ksfarmdude said:

My fuel sediment bowl thing leaked continuously and one day in the shop I had both tractors close by and I thought what the heck same engine same fuel filters just get rid of the leaky thing i tee'ed a water drain (if anyone really uses them ) but it eliminated the mess

I realize a lot of guys   never open that water trap valve but I feel it is important to do so.  It sits on the very bottom of the tank where a shut off or sediment bowl for that matter always has a stand pipe a bit above bottom of tank.  I feel the screen in the sediment bowl does a pretty good job of trapping most of the water but not as good as the pipe out of bottom of tank. And, I do realize a lot of those large sediment bowls on the diesels were prone to leakage.