6.2 Starter Bolt

AKwelder

So I stopped by a couple weeks ago to see my older un-related uncle. He showed me a bolt he found in his driveway, looked like a GM starter bold and the threads were missing.  Oookay.  I pop under his plow truck, 85 GMC, and sure enough it’s missing a starter bolt. 
So I come back a few days later with tools and find it’s snapped off in the block and there is no wiggling it out or grabbing the end of the bolt. Today we went back over with a small drill and left hand bits and got the bolt out and everything is running.  But I think it should have the little bracket on the back of the starter to avoid repeating the problem, or was that later in the 6.2 life?  It sure looks like trying to get one installed is going to require a 6 pack a whole afternoon 

any ideas on who carries the bracket? Does anyone know what I am talking about?

2 minutes ago, AKwelder said:

So I stopped by a couple weeks ago to see my older un-related uncle. He showed me a bolt he found in his driveway, looked like a GM starter bold and the threads were missing.  Oookay.  I pop under his plow truck, 85 GMC, and sure enough it’s missing a starter bolt. 
So I come back a few days later with tools and find it’s snapped off in the block and there is no wiggling it out or grabbing the end of the bolt. Today we went back over with a small drill and left hand bits and got the bolt out and everything is running.  But I think it should have the little bracket on the back of the starter to avoid repeating the problem, or was that later in the 6.2 life?  It sure looks like trying to get one installed is going to require a 6 pack a whole afternoon 

any ideas on who carries the bracket? Does anyone know what I am talking about?

I got one from Amazon, still haven’t figured out how to get it on. About 8 bucks I think

i worked in a GM garage and have seen a few do that. that was the whole idea of that bracket. i just changed the starter on my 2006 Duramax couple days ago. totally different starter also.

They are very simple to install.

One bolt to the block and the other end slides over the stud on the end of the starter.

Put a nut on that and done.

It goes on the top long starter bolt that holds the whole starter together. Should have a stud on the end of the bolt.

You are up close to the motor mount and kind of a pain but very doable.

You must have that brace or you will have broken bolts.

That is a lot of torque and weight on the bolts without it and they break.

Archived