Put the torches down- I may buy a 4020

Not the legacy I would want to leave. I know they would call the padded truck instantly if I bought one of those. Same farm or not, if it is not something you truly desire to have, keep your hand in your pocket. 

9 hours ago, redneckhippie said:

If the price is right I would be all over it. Great tractors and I doubt they will depreciate. Spent many many hours in the seat of one. 

+1, they will give stupid money for a 4020 and then a 4040 doesn't bring nothing compared to the 4020................makes no sense to me at all.  I like a 4020, but its not a $15,000 type of like.  I personally rather have a late 4050 open with a 359T..............powershift.  Never saw the love affair with the quad range.  They are more clunky to shift than a IH in good shape and it doesn't take 20/20 vision to look at the speed chart to see it the gear speeds make little sense.  

• Haha 1
52 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

+1, they will give stupid money for a 4020 and then a 4040 doesn't bring nothing compared to the 4020................makes no sense to me at all.  I like a 4020, but its not a $15,000 type of like.  I personally rather have a late 4050 open with a 359T..............powershift.  Never saw the love affair with the quad range.  They are more clunky to shift than a IH in good shape and it doesn't take 20/20 vision to look at the speed chart to see it the gear speeds make little sense.  

I have a 3010 with syncopated shift. It's not the best but I dont have a problem shifting it. I like the gear ratios generally when bailing. Get into light windows and going up a few gears is nice. It's not a hydro or powershift that's for sure. 

59 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Amen on the quadrange. How many over lap gears again?

1 hour ago, redneckhippie said:

I have a 3010 with syncopated shift. It's not the best but I dont have a problem shifting it. I like the gear ratios generally when bailing. Get into light windows and going up a few gears is nice. It's not a hydro or powershift that's for sure. 

I don't mind the psycho-range myself.......for ram around work, it works good......in the field it's annoying, but so is a quad deranged.  

I love these charts,

image.jpeg.c563afedaf69b9bec6a38cbf53511cb1.jpeg

• Haha 1

On a IHC tractor for the most part you use low 4 high 1. Sometimes low 3 very seldom high 2. On a JD tractor B2 or c2 with the 1 gears being like low in ta. All other gears on both tractors are seldom used. b range on a jd is 2/5 on a synchro.

10 minutes ago, dale560 said:

On a IHC tractor for the most part you use low 4 high 1. Sometimes low 3 very seldom high 2. On a JD tractor B2 or c2 with the 1 gears being like low in ta. All other gears on both tractors are seldom used. b range on a jd is 2/5 on a synchro.

Here with 4230's, B1 or C1 was the right speed, but you had no drop for the headland turns which alot of the time was uphill turns which didn't work.  Never had any issue with IH's, but maybe because they actually had something under the hood that didn't fall on its face, you could run it a few tenths of a mile and hour faster and had the TA for the turns and tough spots?  

I’m pretty sure to start with when a unbiased farmer was deciding between a JD 30 series and a 66 series and he bought the IH it was because of the quad range🙄🙄.  The quad never bothered me because it was what I was used to.  We sized the loads to pull in the top gear so we could down shift on a hill.  My 1256 on the other hand is the only IH tractor I’ve driven with that kind of transmission.   I’m still confused if it’s a true 16 speed or a partial 16 speed.  Can you leave the TA in low 100% of the time??????

4 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

I’m pretty sure to start with when a unbiased farmer was deciding between a JD 30 series and a 66 series and he bought the IH it was because of the quad range🙄🙄.  The quad never bothered me because it was what I was used to.  We sized the loads to pull in the top gear so we could down shift on a hill.  My 1256 on the other hand is the only IH tractor I’ve driven with that kind of transmission.   I’m still confused if it’s a true 16 speed or a partial 16 speed.  Can you leave the TA in low 100% of the time??????

Yes, you can pull with the TA continously on the large frame tractors..................Which is why on the 6* ad 3*88's they do not have a TA lever, just a range lever and numbers  

The quad bothers me as the chart shows because the numbers don't start in the basement and go up in steps, goes up, comes down, goes up again.  I understand its like that because they weren't designed to be range shifted moving, but man is that annoying to use.  Starting anything out in D1 with a gutless 404 in our terrain here is a challenge and yes, even though you aren't supposed to, I have been guilty of the find and grind with the range shifter moving.  With everything in good shape on the shift tower and under the lid, I can start out in H1 on my red one, and double clutch and easily just go up to H4 if I wanted to.  Also, didn't need a chart to see where the shifter had to move if I needed a higher or lower gear, just go down a number.  The B range and C range still gets me screwed up, and I spent some time in quad tractors.  

Just now, Art From Coleman said:

I am curious as to just what makes the shift pattern on a Synchro Range so overly complicated?

Its not, but guys who don't run them alot have trouble without the sticker.......................

1 hour ago, Art From Coleman said:

I am curious as to just what makes the shift pattern on a Synchro Range so overly complicated?

They're not terrible, just kind of like an 8LL Eaton, it just doesn't make sense as compared to everything that's "normal". And for everyone that says a powershift is expensive, yes they are. But if you get in deep on a really poorly run/maintained syncroshift, those parts can be VERY expensive as well. All available from Deere, for a price! It's not just the syncros when you lose reverse, it's all of the shifting linkages and gates as I call them, a type of shifting fork if you will. I think one of them was around $350-400 on the last 3020 I worked on.

cvphoto17872.jpg

You  can range shift a jd while moving you just need to move speed lever to neutral. The quad range is exact same as what ihc calls the ta. It splits your gears on ahead of the input. Only thing is jd used clutch discs and not sprag. The only tractors you ever have 2 speed problems with is the 4 wd. If you don’t have a metallic clutch in a 4020 you won’t have shifting problems

JDs design was unique compared to Ihc. With jd you have 8 speeds and reverse roughly in the size of ihc range transmission. High low reverse are synchronized on some models and reverse is collar shifted on some. The range gears are on bottom pinion . This synchro gives you high low reverse in 4 ranges. Where ihc had 4 speeds in 2 ranges plus reverse. 

10 minutes ago, RBootsMI said:

They're not terrible, just kind of like an 8LL Eaton, it just doesn't make sense as compared to everything that's "normal". And for everyone that says a powershift is expensive, yes they are. But if you get in deep on a really poorly run/maintained syncroshift, those parts can be VERY expensive as well. All available from Deere, for a price! It's not just the syncros when you lose reverse, it's all of the shifting linkages and gates as I call them, a type of shifting fork if you will. I think one of them was around $350-400 on the last 3020 I worked on.

cvphoto17872.jpg

Where it says shift station that would be A B C D on 4430. 3 5 7 8 would be 4 the othe numbers 2 The planetary gives you 3 and 1 in those same gears. 

9 minutes ago, dale560 said:

You  can range shift a jd while moving you just need to move speed lever to neutral.

I don't believe that is the case from reading the manual years ago, seem to recall Deere specifically recommended to not shift ranges unless setting still.  

58 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

I don't believe that is the case from reading the manual years ago, seem to recall Deere specifically recommended to not shift ranges unless setting still.  

Yes your supposed to be stopped. The big tractors with more clutch discs drag. The 8640 went to one shift lever to force you to go to neutral before shifting range.

2 hours ago, dale560 said:

JDs design was unique compared to Ihc. With jd you have 8 speeds and reverse roughly in the size of ihc range transmission. High low reverse are synchronized on some models and reverse is collar shifted on some. The range gears are on bottom pinion . This synchro gives you high low reverse in 4 ranges. Where ihc had 4 speeds in 2 ranges plus reverse. 

I think JD did pretty good with the synchro/quad considering they lasted into the late 80s and what they had before was the clunk gear into place 2 cylinder transmission.  Pretty big tech difference between the two.  Think about it, the synchro/quad out lasted the 16 speed TA, hydro, and Tri Six.  

3 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

Yes, you can pull with the TA continously on the large frame tractors..................Which is why on the 6* ad 3*88's they do not have a TA lever, just a range lever and numbers  

The quad bothers me as the chart shows because the numbers don't start in the basement and go up in steps, goes up, comes down, goes up again.  

Didn't know that. Thanks.  It sounds like you couldn't pull continuously with the TA down on the smaller older tractors?

9 hours ago, dale560 said:

You  can range shift a jd while moving you just need to move speed lever to neutral. The quad range is exact same as what ihc calls the ta. It splits your gears on ahead of the input. Only thing is jd used clutch discs and not sprag. The only tractors you ever have 2 speed problems with is the 4 wd. If you don’t have a metallic clutch in a 4020 you won’t have shifting problems

Thousands of times have shifted my 4020 from 5th to 6th or 7th on the roll, but I see how that is doable with the single shift lever on the syncro and not the duel lever design of the quadrange.

7 minutes ago, 1480x3 said:

Thousands of times have shifted my 4020 from 5th to 6th or 7th on the roll, but I see how that is doable with the single shift lever on the syncro and not the duel lever design of the quadrange.

You don’t really need to be in neutral on quad range either. The 4630,4640 8430 8630 had more clutch discs. Up to 44 size tractors had 2 discs , 46 size had 3 8630s have 4 or 5 discs can’t remember. The tractors with more than 2 discs drag the clutch. That is why on big 4 wd John Deere went to one lever forcing you to be in neutral to shift range.the ranges on jd are a sliding shift collar. They take some abuse but can be ruined by a bad operator over time. That was a steady job fixing synchro on jd. I want to buy a late model 3020 diesel one day. Just to have. 

I had an uncle that was an all is man, he decided to switch to a 4020, a repairman dream, after several major repairs he gave up on it, got himself a massey.

The 3rd-reverse/5th-reverse is very handy on a loader. I have WL-42 brackets on my 706(56 shift) and 4020. The 4020 is nicer. But my 656 Hydro beats both.