Put the torches down- I may buy a 4020

The gentleman that I purchased my 1066 from has since passed and is having an estate auction. On said auction there is a 64 power shift 4020, diesel, with can and also the fenders. 9200 hours. It’s all there but no way a cream puff.

my question is, does anyone else think it’d be cool to have two tractors from same farmer to one day heirloom to my kids?

i understand the first year production and the powershift issues. 

or do I forget that notion and look elsewhere? Nostalgia and the story are hard things to put prices on

• Like 4

It’s your money. If it means something to you, so be it. The pic doesn’t look too bad for condition.  

The only ones I have run had the zigzag zipper shifter on the dash. I figure the engineer that designed those was drunk and never made it past the third grade....

• Haha 8

I highly doubt that it’ll happen. Mainly due to there is a 10-20 parter outer here locally.  
time will tell I guess

i just wish it was a clapped out 560 lol

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
31 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

Don't look bad to me.  

x2     Looks better than both of mine, as a matter of fact a coat of paint and it would look very nice unless the other side got backed into with a combine or something

The power shift 4020s are actually pretty well made. Brakes grind up and plug control valve but they are a tough tractor. Spent many years on the exact same tractor 64 model. It has had issues but most were operator made.

• Like 1

My thing is I don’t need it. It’s just the story factor. But, knowing Linus, that tractor is in good shape. He always believed in the bigger tractor smaller implements scenario 

• Like 1
1 hour ago, zleinenbach said:

I highly doubt that it’ll happen. Mainly due to there is a 10-20 parter outer here locally.  
time will tell I guess

i just wish it was a clapped out 560 lol

You buy the 4020 and I will trade you a 560:lol:

A lot of people complain about the pre-side console tractors, honestly, other than the hitch and hydraulic levers in a dumb place, the hydraulic valve setup being under the dash cover was annoying for me but can't be upset with the rest of it.  

15 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

A lot of people complain about the pre-side console tractors, honestly, other than the hitch and hydraulic levers in a dumb place, the hydraulic valve setup being under the dash cover was annoying for me but can't be upset with the rest of it.  

Keep your phone ready on July 12.

if I buy it July 11, it’ll take a drunken stupor that evening to make it all ok, then I’ll get buyers remorse and give you a shout!!!! 😂👍👍😂

I know they are decent tractors is the only reason for considering it.

my son, in kindergarten, decided to tell his story of why John Deere was painted green........ so they could hideout in the weeds when a real tractor drove by.....

that was the hardest I’ve ever bit my tongue when teacher called to explain “equality”!!!

• Haha 1
41 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

I prefer the dash, for me works better using loader. Got something to do with that hand.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

It’s your money. If it means something to you, so be it. The pic doesn’t look too bad for condition.  

The only ones I have run had the zigzag zipper shifter on the dash. I figure the engineer that designed those was drunk and never made it past the third grade....

It’s spelled “Thurd grade”...duh

• Haha 1
4 hours ago, zleinenbach said:

i understand the first year production and the powershift issues. 

We had a 1964 power shift diesel great grandpa bought brand new.  It got ran it up to 8,000 hrs before any problems cropped up.  Traded to off in the mid 80s for a 2950 mfwd.

1 hour ago, Big Bud guy said:

We had a 1964 power shift diesel great grandpa bought brand new.  It got ran it up to 8,000 hrs before any problems cropped up.  Traded to off in the mid 80s for a 2950 mfwd.

I guess I am not aware of any changes in or changeovers in the powershift through the 20 series. It is really well built. Keeping oil in transmission and clean they last forever. That 8 speed power shift stayed the same all the way through 4440. Plates and planetary could have maybe been bigger in later 4440s but design was same. Even into the 50 series 15 speed they moved transmission pump and added another double set of clutches on flywheel to increase speed. They moved pto out of trans clutch packs to a separate clutch unit below like 5020s and 8630s used.

I’m not a big fan of the letter series in terms of operation but after they went away from hand clutches, I’ve never met a Deere I didn’t like. I don’t tell my green friends this of course, but that looks like a nice reactor, I hope you like it. 

Dad had a 4020 back in the late 60's. Had tranny repaired and about 10 hours later had it redone again by the dealer. The dealer ate the cost the second time. Then about a year or so later broke a rear axle. Traded in then  for a 756. Only green tractor that was ever on the farm and there will never be another one. That tractor had other multiple issues to, maybe just a lemon. Remember dad saying that it should be painted all yellow with LEMON on it for decals

Ze buy it or them ,and enjoy 😉 ok you can always sell but sometimes you can’t buy 

My bil has a 4020 with a 4640? Kit I think it is, M&W turbo and oil pan. It's been on their farm since the late 70's. We both are die hard IH guys but I'll admit that tractor sounds awesome. I'm not sure if the muffler is shot or what but that turbo whistles like a 407 and is kinda fun to operate. It has the same cab and I think it sucks to get in and out but could always be worse. Maybe it's just a 4240 kit who knows. If it ain't red I dont follow too close 🤣

44 minutes ago, mrfred54 said:

Dad had a 4020 back in the late 60's. Had tranny repaired and about 10 hours later had it redone again by the dealer. The dealer ate the cost the second time. Then about a year or so later broke a rear axle. Traded in then  for a 756. Only green tractor that was ever on the farm and there will never be another one. That tractor had other multiple issues to, maybe just a lemon. Remember dad saying that it should be painted all yellow with LEMON on it for decals

I just KNEW there had to be another "Money Pit Deere" out there. Dad's 4010 ate up every spare Dime the farm made for 4 years.  It was  the reason he quit farming to haul fuel & fertilizer for Grow-Mark aka Farm Service, FS.  Yep, the repair and RE-repair was common. The '51 M and Super H both got around 250 hours a year on them, 4010 maybe a bit over 100 hrs. Just tillage on 200 acres, cultivating 120 acres, and pulled #30 combine over 40 acres.

The Power-Shift was not popular around home.  Everything was Synchro-Range until the Quad-Range came out. Closest thing Deere had to a Torque-Amplifier.