Looking at a 175 with drott

owner claims "steer cables" are bad

does that make sense?

How  does the steering work on a 175?

Brake cable maybe? not 100% sure but most of the steering will be one lever to the back for the steering and one follower lever to activate the helper cylinder on each side, all with lots of different adjustments plus wear in pins and clevises can make things interesting.  The one cable is for the foot brake and ties both brakes together.    

The brakes are actuated by the linkage above the deck and a short cable, 12-14''' long goes down through the deck to the brake pack down inside.  The cables have been known to break but not common.  One reason they could break is because the brakes are worn out so the operator just pulls harder on the steer lever until the cable breaks.  I would figure a brake job is needed in your offer number if buying.  The track needs to be broke and final drive removed for the brake repair.  The brakes are multi disc with an expander that the cable hooks to.  Not saying the brakes are shot but I would be suspicious.  The other cable Pede mentioned is for the foot brake that actuates the same brakes that the levers do for pivot. 

Also, take a good look at the loader boom.  The early 250's/175's with Drott loaders were subject to broken booms.  Just sayin.

Dennis

do you have foot or lever steering?

10 hours ago, nomorejohndeere said:

The ad has been deleted so must have sold

Might have been your lucky day.  You'll find another.

Dennis

Where are you located? I have a friend with a 175c for sale.

I'm not really looking other than this was close and needed work

you're along ways away!!!

I know this thread is done but I got to add;  I've been over almost every part on my 20c over the 40years we ran it, some places several times, but I have never seen those short cables that work the brakes, mater of fact we never had the rear deck off.  

my 250-c dont have any cables that I know of ----might just be a 175 thing. Everything on the 250 is hooked direct.

You got the one cable for the brakes right? ties the pivot brakes together. I was just thinking there could be one from the pivot down into the case but I've never had to go there, did the brake cable once...man what a bit$h, going to have to look in a parts book if i still got one. 

Yep, found a break down online, sure enough part with the brake adjusting bolt is cable on the other end, I'll bet that's a hard one to find.  

The early 175/250, and 15B/20B's which the original poster was asking about had a smaller dia. cable than replacements or later machines.  Those were the ones most subject to breaking.  The cables are not visible from the outside but if you ever adjusted the pivot brakes, you were tampering with the top end of the cable.  Yes, 250C's have them too.

Looks like pede found the info.

Dennis

We had the same 20c from 1974-mid 90"s, bought another plus a 250c and in all that time never removed the top deck, these were day to day runners, well except the 250 was bought for parts.  

3 hours ago, pede said:

We had the same 20c from 1974-mid 90"s, bought another plus a 250c and in all that time never removed the top deck, these were day to day runners, well except the 250 was bought for parts.  

You are right pede, the rear end/steering system on all the later IH crawlers, B series and newer, were very trouble free.  Actually I think The complete line of  IH crawlers were very good machines. 

Dennis