May be a mystery to some

I had a 72 Nova with a 3 on the tree.  I rhink it was originally a straight 6 but when i got it there was a 350/350 horse in it.  Never had any trans problems and i wasnt easy on it if you know what i mean.  

• Like 1
  • Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Didn't the cards come bubble gum packs?

How many old timers remember having the shift mechanism being so worn that it sometimes put the transmission locked in two gears? Open the hood and pull the offending lever up to get it disengaged. Bo

That would be the perfect anti-theft device today.

Posted Images

2 hours ago, hobbyfarm said:

I had a 72 Nova with a 3 on the tree.  I rhink it was originally a straight 6 but when i got it there was a 350/350 horse in it.  Never had any trans problems and i wasnt easy on it if you know what i mean.  

My first car was a '70 Nova, 2 bulb 307 and 3 on the floor, Hurst shifter in place of the factory floor shifter. I drove enough miles that MPG was important.  I did have an oil consumption problem, did look for a replacement V-8, local junk yard had a 350 4bbl out of a Vette that burned to the ground. Crazy money they wanted.  Ended up ordering a new '77 Firebird, 301 V8 auto trans.

Company I started working for about 1984/'85 had a '79 F100 pickup, 300-6, 3 on the tree. 20,000 miles all put on less than a mile at a time, everybody drove it, too light duty to haul much of anything. 1000# collapsed the rear springs. It's shifter would lock up, would ordered the shifter collar around the steering column and the shipping/receiving warehouse supervisor replaced it. No more lock-up. Truck was factory radio delete, no ps or PBS, no action. Just a plain red Ford truck.

• Like 2

A friend had a '67 Impala with a 327 and 3 on the tree.

We stuck a 4 speed in, hooked it to the column shift, then drilled a 1/2 inch hole in the floor,  just under the front of the seat, put in a 'T' handle to run reverse.

Shut the engine off, put the tranny in low, pull the reverse handle......bingo=---PARK!!!

Mike

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
4 hours ago, New Englander said:

How many old timers remember having the shift mechanism being so worn that it sometimes put the transmission locked in two gears? Open the hood and pull the offending lever up to get it disengaged. Both of my sisters remember doing it in their clunkers. I had several beaters that would occasionally do it.

I went to work for my cousins summers while in college. They owned a commercial / industrial painting company I had a 68 Mustang with 3 on the floor so a manual transmission wasn't new to me. They had a worn out Suburban 3 on the tree for a shop truck. So they sent me to go pick up some paint with it. I get to a all way stop and the trans is stuck in 3rd. I can't get it out of gear no matter what I tried as traffic backed up behind me. So I wound it up, slipped the clutch and got it around the corner into a parking spot. I popped the hood, fiddled with it until I got it out of gear. I got pretty good at getting it unstuck real quick. Get it repaired? Oh they didn't have money or time for that LOL

Another story from working for them. So we worked at painting a tannery for a week (that's story in itself). The foreman wanted to use the Suburban for the weekend so he loaded the F150 6 cylinder pickup with all our equipment , ladders, sprayers, pics,  you name it. Everything we had on site. He went to the nearby gas station and inflated the tires to 100 psi ( this was back in 1969 ) so the tires didn't squat. Another 3 on the tree. We had to go up a big hill out of the river area so he told me to be going at least 65 at the bottom of the hill. I was in 1st gear doing about 20 miles / hour at the top of the hill. He didn't even follow me back to the shop. No cell phones so I didn't know what I was going to do if I had trouble. I didn't tell my cousins about that episode for about 30 years. LOL By then they just laughed.

• Like 1

Six in a row three on the tree 

My first car was 70 Nova 250 3 on the tree.

I tweaked that that thing with all the low budget stuff 2 barrel carb, open element air filter, light advance springs in the distributor, Thrush muffler etc..

I was able to get rubber in second gear with it.

Drove the wheels off that thing. 

• Like 1

My car from the past was a Regal Red 65 Impala SS with 8-4-4-5.   Eight cylinders, 4 barrels, 4 gears, 5 liters . . . . as in 4 on the floor with a 5th under the seat.  ?  Actually I was just bragging about the 5th.     

• Like 1

In 66 I got a new Impala SS, all I could finance was a 3 on the tree. Yep, the standard transmission on an Impala was the column mounted 3 speed.  Took this lady from Wisconsin out on the town. She effortless drove us home with it. I was a little bit under the weather.

I have been watching some video about 1948 Greyhound buses, the transmission was a non synchronized 4 speed with a column shifter. 40' of linkage between the clutch,  shift  lever and the transmission.  Had to be a real steep learning curve on driver training for crashless shifting.

• Like 2

I had a 1968 Chevrolet three on the tree and 250 six cylinder.  The pickup pulled many a loaded hay trailer from the field to the barn to be unloaded.  My dad, after five kids before me, tired of purchasing reasonably nice cars for his teenage drivers and purchased a 1963 Ford Falcon with three on the tree and 260 V8.  Dad heard me burn rubber in the vehicle and I was grounded. Car was given to older sister and Dad bought another Volkswagen bug.  Those old VW's were hard to hot rod and were very cold in the winter.  My best friend in high school had a Saab with four speed on column.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, oleman said:

In 66 I got a new Impala SS, all I could finance was a 3 on the tree. Yep, the standard transmission on an Impala was the column mounted 3 speed.  Took this lady from Wisconsin out on the town. She effortless drove us home with it. I was a little bit under the weather.

I have been watching some video about 1948 Greyhound buses, the transmission was a non synchronized 4 speed with a column shifter. 40' of linkage between the clutch,  shift  lever and the transmission.  Had to be a real steep learning curve on driver training for crashless shifting.

Old customer had a 65 Impala 283 3 n the tree WITH overdrive! Had a T handle under dash right of column and you could pull it out for O/D. Never tried  pulling it out in 1st or 2nd. Maybe it would work like a T/A and give u 6 speeds, dunno.

• Like 1

Dad's truck was a 64 C20 with a 292 6 banger and 3 on the tree. Good old truck. Must have had some deep gears because 60 MPH is about all it would do. 

• Like 1

Had a 302 in a 71 Maverick with column 3 sp.

Swapped it out to a 4 sp on the floor after replacing 2 column shifters  that snapped off power shifting  2nd..

• Like 1
2 hours ago, oleman said:

Did you ever have the misfortune to drive an Emeryville or TransStar semi-tractor with a million miles on it? Talk about sloppy shifting! Good thing most had Road-Rangers and you used every hole twice!  If there had been one or two more universal joints with a little slop in them you would have needed to open the driver's door and stand outside to get in the lower gears.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1
45 minutes ago, MTO said:

Had a 302 in a 71 Maverick with column 3 sp.

Swapped it out to a 4 sp on the floor after replacing 2 column shifters  that snapped off power shifting  2nd..

In the old Ford Falcon, I could be driving and hand the column shift lever to the passenger.  In order to up or down shift, the passenger would have to return the shift lever.

• Like 1

Here is my 67 Travelall 5 speed Overdrive shift pattern

183108136_t34ih5spdpattern.jpg.30b6712c0429bb3459250ae85494de96.jpg

• Like 1

Dad has a 66 toyota 1 ton with 4 on the tree. I got my driver's license in it and got pulled over shortly afterwards. I was a nervous pup as I had been driving a little wild. Fortunately for me they were looking for someone. He also had a 69 saab with 4 on the tree. I still have it. Got it running a few years ago. Needs tires and they're a narrow 15. Hard to find used and hate to buy new but that's another story. 

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Kevingweq said:

Here is my 67 Travelall 5 speed Overdrive shift pattern

183108136_t34ih5spdpattern.jpg.30b6712c0429bb3459250ae85494de96.jpg

Same shift pattern on my '39 D-35.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, smfarms said:

Ok all you old farmers. Didn’t anyone have 60’s era cab over IH truck with a 5 on the tree?  2 speed rear was a toggle switch on the dashboard. In late 70’s I worked at an IH dealership and had a 1700 cab over with a roll back bed for delivering equipment 

Yup, early CO-Loadstars.  It didn't last too long, so came with a floor shift, apparently it was too difficult to keep in adjustment and finding 2-3 wasn't easy.  Two speed switch on the right.  I know where there is one.

CO-1700 5 on the tree, George Mitchell Collection (1).JPG

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
2 hours ago, yellowrosefarm said:

The most fun was having your right arm around your girlfriend sitting beside you on the truck bench seat and then shifting the 3 on the tree with your left hand.

Yes!! I hadn’t thought of that in decades. 

• Like 1
23 hours ago, lorenzo said:

D87E651F-6CD5-455D-A656-D6D175C18FBC.jpeg.07b8bb6e981d047c98e8f2d63b8a4e94.jpeg

Shift pattern is the same as the Farmall Cub (just my observation, I’m not in to pickups as much as I am tractors) 

• Like 1

The weirdest and worst, from my limited experience were the 46’ Jeep CJ2A, it kind of telescoped .. was weird, and as most sat out getting rained on, dirt and dust in them, then rained on again they were worn out, seized up or an unusual combination of both. Going to floor mount in 47’ was a good move 

• Like 2