Morrill

8315 Case IH Mower Plugging

I’ve got an 8315 Case IH disc mower that is giving me problems and I can’t seem to make it work. It pulling grass in behind the baskets or drums on the outer two disks and plugging up. Mostly the left side.  Seems to be ok in lighter grass but you can’t go fifty feet in heavy grass. I’ve tried mowing with the left side out of the grass and I still does it. Tried opening and closing the conditioner rolls and didn’t really change it. Knives are new and disc’s looks good. Can’t see anything that is catching the grass. I’ve run this mower since new and have it do this a little before but not this bad. It has seen a lot of acres and I know things are worn. Anyone had problems like this before or have any idea? 

i had a 8315 and never expeirenced that problem, but mostly what i cut was alfalfa with maybe at best 10% grass in it. i even tried to plug it many times and couldnt by picking up a full 15' windrow on the ends along with a narrow strip left when finishing a field. no matter how fast i drove it just kept putting it through.

Dont know your machine. The end pods normally have something to throw the hay inside and back. I'll bet yours are more wore than you might think. Tall tough grass is probably giving you fits I would guess. The only other time I have had wrapping issues with any disc mower it had driveline issues. Either a slipping friction disc or a belt. Both times i swore it was the hay wrapping causing them to slip. In both cases when I got into thick hay it slowed down the knives and caused the plug due to it slipping. I kept looking at why the hay was wrapping around the pods instead of why the pods were slipping if that makes sense. Neither one would do it in thinner or not tough hay. Hope this helps. 

34 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

Dont know your machine. The end pods normally have something to throw the hay inside and back. I'll bet yours are more wore than you might think. Tall tough grass is probably giving you fits I would guess. The only other time I have had wrapping issues with any disc mower it had driveline issues. Either a slipping friction disc or a belt. Both times i swore it was the hay wrapping causing them to slip. In both cases when I got into thick hay it slowed down the knives and caused the plug due to it slipping. I kept looking at why the hay was wrapping around the pods instead of why the pods were slipping if that makes sense. Neither one would do it in thinner or not tough hay. Hope this helps. 

Thanks, I’ll take a look at the drive line again.