So the BD308 is an entirely different motor from the 264. That much I know. I found out recently that my lethargic S-160 has a BG241 not the 264 it had from the factory. Now I'm fine with lethargic, but this truck will be doing a lot of hauling locally. So I'd at least like to get back a fresh 264, but I've been keeping an eye out for a BD308 with trans out of a loadstar or CO. I "think" it should fit with a little massaging. 264s or BG265s are hard to come by. I've also looked at sv304s which would leave the steering column alone where I understand the 345 will require the column to be redone.

There's an mV404 near me, but it'd be far too large I'm sure.

So, the main question, for the few that may have had both, is there any advantage to the BD308 or just better off continuing to look for a 264?

As I understand it, the 266 and 304 were narrower than the 345 and 392.

The 264 and bg265 is bolt in, but the 308 would need a matching trans.

Unfortunately a lot of this can only be confirmed by reading on my end as few people seem to know much about the inline 6 for the trucks. The yards and online resources seem to be equally unknowledgable as I am :D

One person I spoke to who proclaimed himself to be an expert was hostile and began contradicting himself half way through the conversation about what would be bolt In and what motor came in what that I realized I was spending minutes I'd never get back.

My main thought is if a BD308 (or 282 or 269) were to come available would it offer any significant advantage to the 264 (or 265).

This truck has been an education. A lot of information on these trucks really do seem to be lost to time.

I know that the BD 308 is different than the 264/5, but I cant tell you how off the top of my head. I expect the parts situation for the 308 to be basically non existent. I guess I didn’t know that the 264’s were that hard to find, I have several pickups with them. I think the 264 is a fine engine, however pistons have been getting harder to find, especially oversize ones. I have been told the Egge will custom make the oversize ones for a reasonable price. AFAIK rings, bearings, gaskets, etc are still available. As far as the V8’s, a 345/392 has a taller deck than a 266/304. This means that the intake manifold is a bit wider on a 345 than a 304. In an S the V8’s will not fit with. Out a lot of mods, the engine bay is just too narrow. The A/B series was the first to feature a V8 from the factory. There is info around on these, it’s just a matter of knowing where to look. 

• Like 1

The V8s are easier to find info on,  I think thanks in large part to the scout community. The inline 6 of any variety seems to be a bit tougher. I've been told the BG265 and BD264 have different bell housing patterns, then also told they have the same... both by knowledgeable sources. Parts list don't show compatible numbers and no one's parts computers seem to have the info (which is reasonable considering the age).

I'm sure there are BD264's heading to scrap every day. But no one seems interested in putting them up for sale. Everyone pitched them in favor of 35 chevies it seems . I'm sure one will pop up eventually, just looking at various options. I could rebuild the BG241 in it right now, but if I'm going to spend money on something, I'd rather it be a 264/265 or something along those lines.

A couple people said they put 304s in their S trucks and it cleared the steering column, but I don't remember seeing any pictures.

I have a possible solution, the Rambler 232 family replaced all the small i-6 engines in the late 60's.  Although I found a BD264 in an aluminum stepvan in a junkyard in the early 90's. Since it was an all aluminum box I figured it was at least a 66 or so. I can't believe Rambler cast a different block for IHC so with the correct bell the Rambler would be a replacement for any low HP applications. Of course they are about as rare as an IHC I-6.

My first ever pickup  truck was a 1960 B110 with a slant-valve BD240 engine, way back in 1968.  When I went looking for a set of pistons I discovered the engine had been around in some configuration since before WW2, IHC wasn't known for changing things that worked.    That BD240, carried me all over California for several years, never a BD240 issue.

• Like 1

The BD264 and BG265 use the same bellhousing, they are essentially the same motor, the “update” was essentially in name only. The AMC 232/258 that International used from 69 to 75 used a unique bellhousing and are usually found with automatic transmissions. Neither would be a good choice for your S 160 IMO. Personally if I was going to look at newer/ non IH motors I would think long and hard about a 4bt Cummins.

• Like 1

My dad had an R-160 ex-highway department truck that said 240 on the door plate but it had a 265 and for a short time he had a '66 Loadstar with a 265.

• Like 1

264 is a world-beater, best 6 cylinder gas engine ever! Getting hard to find though.The later ones had a two-piece bell that the back piece bolted to a 304 V8.

• Like 2

I have 3 trucks with 264 motor, really simple runner I rebuilt one and really baby it with nice oil and it seriously runs like a sewing machine.  You can do what you want with that motor if you play with your gears in front/rear end.  you should be able to find a core and do it up.  In N California if I can help - John

• Like 1
  • 2 weeks later...
On 5/30/2020 at 11:41 AM, BiggieSmalls said:

I have 3 trucks with 264 motor, really simple runner I rebuilt one and really baby it with nice oil and it seriously runs like a sewing machine.  You can do what you want with that motor if you play with your gears in front/rear end.  you should be able to find a core and do it up.  In N California if I can help - John

I've been keeping an eye out. It runs now but definitely not fresh. I'd like to rebuild a 264/265 if I can.

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought an S-182 with a bd308. It’s frozen right now and I’m trying to get it broken loose. FWIW the front of the engine is mounted on the front crossmember under the timing cover. I think the back uses the transmission for support. There’s a separate cover under the flywheel that exposes half of the flywheel and clutch. Not a normal bell housing. I’m super new to this so I don’t really know how to label this but I’d be happy to take pictures or measurements or whatever. 
Fingers crossed I can get this sucker running.

if someone knows where to look for parts for these, I’d be happy to know about it.

A819C070-3F4A-492F-8496-1E7F19AD3EEC.jpeg