Sign in to follow this  
TN Hillbilly

Brake booster needed for 1974 Loadstar 1600

Where would you all look for a new or good used brake booster for a 74 Loadstar?  We have plenty of shoes and good drums on this old truck, but still doesn't stop like it should.  I have found some used boosters, but they are on trucks that have been sitting a while, like this one was.  So I figure that's a roll of the dice.  For something important like the brakes, I would rather have something I have confidence in.  Thanks for any and all help.  Here's the truck.

20200518_100930.jpg

Nice looking truck! I bought one for one of my 74s last year from napa.  Ill try to find the part number.  Is yours leaking?  It can be a pain to get all the air out of the lines.  Thx-Ace

I don't know if it is leaking, just don't seem to have any boost in the brakes.  Feels like all I have is manual brakes. 

Maybe the booster is okay, I don't know how to test it.

Have you checked vacuum line from manifold for leaks ?

Visually looks okay.  Beyond that I don't know.  Used to have a vacuum gauge at work, but don't at home. 

I've gotten a few from Rebuilders Enterprises Inc in Illinois 800-489-9860. They rebuild & test them. Be sure to bleed the brakes with a pressure bleeder. 

Thanks for the heads up.  What is a pressure bleeder?  We just bled them like you would on a car or pickup.

I have an old school one that is round like a basket ball on wheels. Has a diaphragm in it. Fluid on top & air up the bottom. New ones look like a weed sprayer. Fill it with brake fluid, pump it up to 30 psi, hook it up to the master cylinder where the cap goes and open the bleeders to let it flow out. Pumping the brakes the conventional way just doesn't seem to get all of the air out of the hydrovac. 

If the engine idles like it has a vacuum leak, the diaphragm could be cracked. They are easy to replace,

I just got a new master cylinder from truckid.com for my '56 S-182. It was pretty inexpensive. $65.