I had originally posted this in the general ih but was suggested to move it over here, by GT&T, so i am reposting the question here.

I am helping a freind sort out a large lot of tractors that she inherited. Among them is an international td40 serial number 5694. The engine starts and runs really good for sitting for at least 10 years.

The problem we currently have is the main clutch is rusted engauged and will not release we have started soaking it in penetrating oil to try and free it up. But if it comes down to removing the clutch do we have to remove the engine or will the clutch come out the top of the clutch housing?

Thank you for any helpful responses we are also trying not to spray the clutch disk just the release finger area for now.

20200524_185815.jpg

The clutch assy  can be removed from the top.  A clutch coupler sits ahead of the tranny input with 6 bolts at each end, removal allows the clutch splined shaft to slide rearward clearing the pilot bearing [ if not rusty ]. 

mike

• 4 weeks later...

Just an update on the clutch, it is still stuck so far the penetrating oil hasn't freed anything up.

We are going to keep try to free it up but more than likely the clutch will be coming out to get disassembled and cleaned. 

7 hours ago, nbent said:

Just an update on the clutch, it is still stuck so far the penetrating oil hasn't freed anything up.

We are going to keep try to free it up but more than likely the clutch will be coming out to get disassembled and cleaned. 

on old stuff like that is dont pay to be waiting on oils to do the job. it takes disassembly and time. and if you would have did that off the bat you would be running it now,lol. plus to free it up you need to be pulling it around. it wont happen sitting there.

• 1 month later...

After knocking out a few projects a head of this one i was able to remove the clutch today and found its FUBAR. I tried to find a parts catalog that would give me part numbers but i haven't had any luck yet.

Does anyone know of any other model that uses the same clutch and pressure plate? Possibly a td-35?

If i can't locate a decent replacement does anyone know how to disassemble the pressure plate so i can clean it and free it up?

20200808_181000.jpg

20200808_181006.jpg

20200808_181040.jpg

20200808_181013.jpg

• 5 weeks later...

...I would suggest  the clutch plate could be relined.......and the flywheel refaced ...a smidgeon   to get it clean........but the pressure   plate and thrust bearing   could present    issues......I guess again.....if push came to shove.....it is the springs that are shot ????

Mike

Thank you for the replies.

I have spoken with john and he has td35 parts but not td40. We are trying to get part numbers to verify they are the same.

The flywheel i can machine at work, i think i have found a local company to relign the clutch disk. The pressure plate is siezed and has been soaking in diesel and atf to try and get it freed up to where we can get it apart to resurface it.

If the clutches are the same td40 to td35 we will hopefully find a good replacement instead of taking the pressure plate apart.

Might want to try ultrasonic or electrolysis on it

• 1 month later...

I have a TD14 and it seized up. Can you tell me how you got yours out? Did you use a puller or chain? I took mine apart because I was afraid it was going to break the studs off. 

Thanks. Jesse

IMG_20201021_163350.jpg

There are about 3 serial number breaks in the clutch on that tractor.  If you are taking parts out of a wreck try to get a serial number higher than 4356 to match yours.  

release bearing 31240D or New Departure 3115 

complete clutch 25976DEX. all components

driven disk 25982D

pressure plate 31299D, 26034DBX is from the next earlier serial break and is supposed to fit.

pilot bearing 13147D or New Departure 7206, or IH ST226. The pilot bearing is the only clutch part that specifies gas or Diesel engine.  

I have a pair of 35's here for parts but probably the clutches are the same shape as yours, also heavy and I am probably a long way from you.   Rosetown Sk Canada. I dare you to make me an offer on the 35's. I also have a TD14 clutch assembly here but I have no parts books for the 14's.  Some late 40 parts fit early 14's.