I have a coon problem here---I also have bunch of barn cats. I found glazed doughnuts work very well----I crumble them up and put in a small dish in the back of the trap.

• Like 1

I started keeping record January first this year. I have four  live  traps set at all times . A week ago I cought one that was missing a back leg , I doubt if it was because of a trap , yesterday I cought one with a little stubby tail , thought that was odd.  I have used a variety of bait, fish, cat food, lobster shells,  muscles , chicken, boiled eggs, corn, ground beef, it all works. 

Given enough time a coon will tear up a trap and escape .  Most  I have cought in one night was three . I mark em on the wall of my cat house . F79CFABC-038B-4B24-9075-8AB8A5A520E3.thumb.jpeg.8a44c08de29adc8d401a7abd7af6b1d6.jpeg

8 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

I started keeping record January first this year. I have four  live  traps set at all times . A week ago I cought one that was missing a back leg , I doubt if it was because of a trap , yesterday I cought one with a little stubby tail , thought that was odd.  I have used a variety of bait, fish, cat food, lobster shells,  muscles , chicken, boiled eggs, corn, ground beef, it all works. 

Given enough time a coon will tear up a trap and escape .  Most  I have cought in one night was three . I mark em on the wall of my cat house . F79CFABC-038B-4B24-9075-8AB8A5A520E3.thumb.jpeg.8a44c08de29adc8d401a7abd7af6b1d6.jpeg

Ever caught 2 at once in a live trap?  I did once. Talk about a surprise when you look inside....

47 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Ever caught 2 at once in a live trap?  I did once. Talk about a surprise when you look inside....

Caught 2 mice in the same trap 2 days in a row, I was impressed!

9 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

We used to when there was a fur market. The last several years they have not been worth skinning. Opossums were never worth skinning here. The year that pic was taken we made good money on coons.  Split everything even with the number of guys who went. There are 86 in that picture.

I’m a hunter more than a trapper. Just got into trapping a little bit a couple years ago when I was going after a nearly white coon we had on a trail camera.  Two years after the picture a neighbor saw the coon. I set out to bag it at that point and actually should be getting a call from the taxidermist any day telling me it’s done. 

Uhmm...pity.  about the fur market...….Anyway, I guess you have far to much other things going on to worry about skinning them.,....for no reward.....

The   "  fur market  " used to be fashion dependant for certain    species...….back in the day.....  I used to trap  or poison    opossums  for many years....Used poison because of the distance ..on foot...that you had to go back into the serious hills......70 opossum skins was a fair old carry, never mind leg traps....they were a load in themselves…. Plus you can't skin an opossum  until  it is stone cold...so with traps you had to kill them ….then bleed them out ...then hang them up in a tree...(of which there were an unending supply …….)..this to stop feral pigs eating them..   These   were opossums of the Australian variety..introduced in the late Twenties......they colonised  very quickly and spread all over most of NZ.....I believe they might be different to the US  genus.

Last winter I poisoned was 1971....I skinned 3000 of them.....all 'tacked out ' and brushed, with each   adult skin being the exact dimension. after 'tacking out "...I sent the top line skins to England...about 2/3rds of them...the rest were auctioned in NZ .   That year I got enough  return for them to buy a new, Ford Zodiac  (English )  ...four sp floor shift. bucket seats,V6 engine 4 wheel discs...just right up there !!!!……...plus put a lot of dollars away...Used to get real good money...and kept a bloke very fit...….

You may well have seen the picture of one of my American  RHD  pickups   (  :rolleyes:)......picture of Mike at  19yrs....and 28yrs skinning...(1970....)Great winter job.... Used to cover a lot of country......

Mike

post-157-0-11273800-1458721527.jpg

post-157-1162228927  Mike poss.jpg

post-157-1162107036  Mike poss...2.jpg

• Like 4

Those look a bit different then what we have here. I can’t imagine anyone wanting the fur from an opossum as we know it. 

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

Those look a bit different then what we have here. I can’t imagine anyone wanting the fur from an opossum as we know it. 

I concur!  

Our opossums are thin skinned with a little bit of light hair. Mikes opossums look a little larger with an actual fur coat. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
2 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

I concur!  

Our opossums are thin skinned with a little bit of light hair. Mikes opossums look a little larger with an actual fur coat. 

But they are durable, 6 shots to the head on one and it was still flopping when I went back 20 mins later to deal with it. All of em hit. Should have had hollow points 

22 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

But they are durable, 6 shots to the head on one and it was still flopping when I went back 20 mins later to deal with it. All of em hit. Should have had hollow points 

You just need to always use HP bullets unless you are keeping fur. Keeping fur I always like FMJ or when trapping, shorts out of a pistol. 

5 hours ago, mike newman said:

Uhmm...pity.  about the fur market...….Anyway, I guess you have far to much other things going on to worry about skinning them.,....for no reward.....

The   "  fur market  " used to be fashion dependant for certain    species...….back in the day.....  I used to trap  or poison    opossums  for many years....Used poison because of the distance ..on foot...that you had to go back into the serious hills......70 opossum skins was a fair old carry, never mind leg traps....they were a load in themselves…. Plus you can't skin an opossum  until  it is stone cold...so with traps you had to kill them ….then bleed them out ...then hang them up in a tree...(of which there were an unending supply …….)..this to stop feral pigs eating them..   These   were opossums of the Australian variety..introduced in the late Twenties......they colonised  very quickly and spread all over most of NZ.....I believe they might be different to the US  genus.

Last winter I poisoned was 1971....I skinned 3000 of them.....all 'tacked out ' and brushed, with each   adult skin being the exact dimension. after 'tacking out "...I sent the top line skins to England...about 2/3rds of them...the rest were auctioned in NZ .   That year I got enough  return for them to buy a new, Ford Zodiac  (English )  ...four sp floor shift. bucket seats,V6 engine 4 wheel discs...just right up there !!!!……...plus put a lot of dollars away...Used to get real good money...and kept a bloke very fit...….

You may well have seen the picture of one of my American  RHD  pickups   (  :rolleyes:)......picture of Mike at  19yrs....and 28yrs skinning...(1970....)Great winter job.... Used to cover a lot of country......

Mike

wow as said those are totally different than ours - i too did a lot of trapping as a kid and it financed my fishing/hunting/trapping hobbies - enjoyed that a lot - mom n dad got me an old dirt bike with milk crate tied to the back fender for hauling things around on it. lots of walking yes sir when muddy ............ i trapped our muddy creek bottom so for me nothing like your beautiful country mike!!! thats the top of the hill from Snowy River Movie 😉

Never trapped a possum on purpose, they would get in a set now n then by accident - 90% racoons, a few mink every year, beaver now n then, muskrat here n there was my aim. Didnt have bobcat back then, never messed with fox/coyote, too much time and i made good money on racoons and mink. I used 90% water sets with footholds and drown lines. Our season is not very long, 6 to 8 wks, best season I had was about $3000 in that short span of time and all i had were 18 traps. I didnt have any conibear/kill traps.  I averaged about $2000 this was back in the winters of 80 81 82 83 84. 

It was a lot of $$ for a kid and kept me going throughout the year on shells, tackle, gas, license, etc......paid for part of my tuition at DeVry too. I was a saver to a large degree. We didnt have much. 

• Like 3
14 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

The coons around here are pretty big . There isnt room for two of them to get inside my traps.  It is common however to see as many as four in the trail cam pictures.  The biggest one I have cought weighed 49 pounds.

I had a period of about five weeks where I had a trap sprung , bait gone and nothing in it. Finally got a picture of a coon so big he could eat the bait and back out because his butt was half way out when it tripped. 

Bought a bigger trap and finally got him but he was tearing the trap up when I arrived. He would have been out in another few minutes.

1 hour ago, searcyfarms said:

wow as said those are totally different than ours - i too did a lot of trapping as a kid and it financed my fishing/hunting/trapping hobbies - enjoyed that a lot - mom n dad got me an old dirt bike with milk crate tied to the back fender for hauling things around on it. lots of walking yes sir when muddy ............ i trapped our muddy creek bottom so for me nothing like your beautiful country mike!!! thats the top of the hill from Snowy River Movie 😉

Never trapped a possum on purpose, they would get in a set now n then by accident - 90% racoons, a few mink every year, beaver now n then, muskrat here n there was my aim. Didnt have bobcat back then, never messed with fox/coyote, too much time and i made good money on racoons and mink. I used 90% water sets with footholds and drown lines. Our season is not very long, 6 to 8 wks, best season I had was about $3000 in that short span of time and all i had were 18 traps. I didnt have any conibear/kill traps.  I averaged about $2000 this was back in the winters of 80 81 82 83 84

It was a lot of $$ for a kid and kept me going throughout the year on shells, tackle, gas, license, etc......paid for part of my tuition at DeVry too. I was a saver to a large degree. We didnt have much. 

Back in the late70’s and early 80’s coon were worth $40.00   $45.00 if you skinned them yourself .  We had a local place to take them called Pettigrew Fur Company . They would buy anything with four legs.

Back when gas was .45 cents a gallon,  a BigMac , fry’s and a Coke was a dollar .

Those were good times. 

Just now, lorenzo said:

Back in the late70’s and early 80’s coon were worth $40.00   $45.00 if you skinned them yourself .  We had a local place to take them called Pettigrew Fur Company . They would buy anything with four legs.

Back when gas was .45 cents a gallon,  a BigMac , fry’s and a Coke was a dollar .

Those were good times. 

amen to that!!!! i could run on nothing worth of gas on my motorcycle, we didnt have a mcdonalds anywhere near us, my go to was Casey's, a half gallon of milk and a carton of oreos. Yes i sold a lot of racoons for 40 to 45, avg was 30 plus easily. I got a dollar per inch on my mink. 

I skinned everything I caught. Sold to a couple local guys around the area. 

• Like 1
15 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

amen to that!!!! i could run on nothing worth of gas on my motorcycle, we didnt have a mcdonalds anywhere near us, my go to was Casey's, a half gallon of milk and a carton of oreos. Yes i sold a lot of racoons for 40 to 45, avg was 30 plus easily. I got a dollar per inch on my mink. 

I skinned everything I caught. Sold to a couple local guys around the area. 

...LOL......yes, searcyfarms, petrol for the "American   pickup ''   was cheap as, back then.....  that was a 1928   Chevrolet   4 cylinder OHV   engine, the 15 speed transmission model  (!!!).....totally reliable  , except brakes, but eventually the Cops put me off the road....(public roads  !!), 

I used , always , 'pocket knives " for skinning opossums and deer  etc.....used to use German made ones but then found "Schrade -  Waldon "     knives...(I think I got that right ??)...made in New York,......they were just so good...at holding their edge, because  one was forever sharpening the blades...….a good blade about two and a half inches was all one needed....from rabbits   to   Red deer...Still got one of those US made knives...…..Got lots of picture from that era......good memories..

Mike

3 hours ago, mike newman said:

...LOL......yes, searcyfarms, petrol for the "American   pickup ''   was cheap as, back then.....  that was a 1928   Chevrolet   4 cylinder OHV   engine, the 15 speed transmission model  (!!!).....totally reliable  , except brakes, but eventually the Cops put me off the road....(public roads  !!), 

I used , always , 'pocket knives " for skinning opossums and deer  etc.....used to use German made ones but then found "Schrade -  Waldon "     knives...(I think I got that right ??)...made in New York,......they were just so good...at holding their edge, because  one was forever sharpening the blades...….a good blade about two and a half inches was all one needed....from rabbits   to   Red deer...Still got one of those US made knives...…..Got lots of picture from that era......good memories..

Mike

Would love to see more of those pictures some time Mike. I found that when we skinned a lot of raccoons we were always sharpening knives as you said. We started using 4” Rapala brand fillet knives.   They held and edge well for us. We kept a skinning rope on us since we were normally on foot and would stop after a couple and skin them out on the spot. Throw the rope up over a limb and around one ankle of the coon. At home I made my own gambrel that would tighten more the harder you pulled on the hide.  It had stainless wire cable and was made from 1/2” square stock. 

EA4232BE-FB24-4849-8078-65240A80C12B.jpeg

I don’t skin much but the occasional deer, I have a Helle brand made in Norway, nice knife, I’ll put up a pic tonight 

4 hours ago, mike newman said:

Mike

Good Morning Mike, Baaaah who needs brakes, they are overrated LOL - I grew up working for farmers with N series ford tractors, the best brakes on them were marginal when u had something behind u. Most didnt work much.  It makes u a better driver to have to plan ahead and anticipate all the dangers or excitement you might get yourself into. 

I dont think i even have ONE picture of all the trapping i did - mom hated my mess, dad never said a word about it, i had a corner of the basement to function in about 10 foot square. We lived in a manufactured house ( double wide ). I had a couple ropes slung over the metal frame of the double wide to skin from. 

I can remember a couple times mom lit into me when i got home from school. You get down there RIGHT NOW and kill whatever is making noises in the basement. Something is moving around I can hear it. It was always a possum..........I carried a piece of dead elm that was hard as a rock, any of you that know how hard dead elm gets know what im mean. I used it to dispatch anything that I caught that was still alive. Possums are by far the hardest thing to kill I have ever seen. With 90% water sets it was rare i caught much on land outside of a possum, skunk, or occasional raccoon. 

I skinned all my critters with one of these that my uncle gave me - it disappeared in the tornado that hit our home in 04. It was one of these. My uncle was retired Army. I have no idea if it was his or one he acquired but it served me well. I sharped it a lot on a whetstone. 

My favorite memory was when I butchered my leg with a chainsaw one winter. Over 100 stitches. Dad was ticked at me as usual about most anything that disrupted his normal. Mom was always my go to. She said well we've gotta run your traps. You show me where they are and I will help you until you can walk better. First Day running them wouldnt you know a beaver got in one. Still Alive of course. Tore the heck out of things. Caught by front foot in a #11. Mom was scared pulling on the chain/wire as it would come up and start thrashing when it cleared the top of the water. This was in our creek and I had to make my sets where i could get to them with hip waders so deep enough to make things difficult.

There was no way mom was going to be able to do it. I went back, put on hip waders to help. Mom only had rubber chore boots. Of course with my leg being stiff cut mostly at the knee area I couldnt flex much and pick up my foot. So of course first thing I did was trip, fell, tore about 15 stitches loose. felt the warm blood going down my leg........ugh...........I didnt tell mom, we had business to take care of. Just told her i was fine. 

It took both of us, she would pull on the chain/wire and get him to surface and i got a big 4 inch chunk of wood about 8 to 10 foot and when he surfaced I would try to time my swing to attempt to stun him. Finally after about 4 or 5 attempts he was dispatched. 40lbs it was. Pretty good sized and i didnt catch many. With my torn up leg it only prolonged my recovery. My dr was ticked, he said you tear them out again and you will have to go somewhere else to get them fixed. I was more careful after that. 

Mom and I talk about that from time to time..........how funny - no pictures but we still have that vivid place in our minds. 

image.png.368b5e7f6dfbfac73295fae571e3988b.png

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
On 5/26/2020 at 9:06 AM, vtfireman85 said:

I have had good luck with my 9 iron golf club i keep handy...ring their bell good, toss them in the truck and take em to a back road and pitch them. The buzzards wont eat a possum unless they are starving...

• Haha 1
19 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

Good Morning Mike, Baaaah who needs brakes, they are overrated LOL - I grew up working for farmers with N series ford tractors, the best brakes on them were marginal when u had something behind u. Most didnt work much.  It makes u a better driver to have to plan ahead and anticipate all the dangers or excitement you might get yourself into. 

I dont think i even have ONE picture of all the trapping i did - mom hated my mess, dad never said a word about it, i had a corner of the basement to function in about 10 foot square. We lived in a manufactured house ( double wide ). I had a couple ropes slung over the metal frame of the double wide to skin from. 

I can remember a couple times mom lit into me when i got home from school. You get down there RIGHT NOW and kill whatever is making noises in the basement. Something is moving around I can hear it. It was always a possum..........I carried a piece of dead elm that was hard as a rock, any of you that know how hard dead elm gets know what im mean. I used it to dispatch anything that I caught that was still alive. Possums are by far the hardest thing to kill I have ever seen. With 90% water sets it was rare i caught much on land outside of a possum, skunk, or occasional raccoon. 

I skinned all my critters with one of these that my uncle gave me - it disappeared in the tornado that hit our home in 04. It was one of these. My uncle was retired Army. I have no idea if it was his or one he acquired but it served me well. I sharped it a lot on a whetstone. 

My favorite memory was when I butchered my leg with a chainsaw one winter. Over 100 stitches. Dad was ticked at me as usual about most anything that disrupted his normal. Mom was always my go to. She said well we've gotta run your traps. You show me where they are and I will help you until you can walk better. First Day running them wouldnt you know a beaver got in one. Still Alive of course. Tore the heck out of things. Caught by front foot in a #11. Mom was scared pulling on the chain/wire as it would come up and start thrashing when it cleared the top of the water. This was in our creek and I had to make my sets where i could get to them with hip waders so deep enough to make things difficult.

There was no way mom was going to be able to do it. I went back, put on hip waders to help. Mom only had rubber chore boots. Of course with my leg being stiff cut mostly at the knee area I couldnt flex much and pick up my foot. So of course first thing I did was trip, fell, tore about 15 stitches loose. felt the warm blood going down my leg........ugh...........I didnt tell mom, we had business to take care of. Just told her i was fine. 

It took both of us, she would pull on the chain/wire and get him to surface and i got a big 4 inch chunk of wood about 8 to 10 foot and when he surfaced I would try to time my swing to attempt to stun him. Finally after about 4 or 5 attempts he was dispatched. 40lbs it was. Pretty good sized and i didnt catch many. With my torn up leg it only prolonged my recovery. My dr was ticked, he said you tear them out again and you will have to go somewhere else to get them fixed. I was more careful after that. 

Mom and I talk about that from time to time..........how funny - no pictures but we still have that vivid place in our minds. 

Great story,,,,,,,,Mother's eh...just the greatest......:)

Couple things before we beat this thread to death  !!...The opossum   that we have here, is very hard to put away......it was great when poison became more ''user friendly "....cyanide paste, out of a tube......had to carry an antidote always, though...just in case !!…...Sledgehammer   was saying about skinning the "coons"   ….hanging them up with his gambrel.....With the opossum...….cut from lower lip to base of tail...one side to other with legs......peel the corner from north south cut where east west leg cut come s over....work thumb under the skin, over its back until the animal is face down and you plant a boot between skin and its back...then pull up working with the old thumb all the while...bit of a knack with the tail basically required "locking the tail "   in a very tight grip and sliding the skin up the tail ...roll it up and into the day pack......sounds simple  ...but you need a few hundred to get on the process......takes a couple of minutes......some skin like a rabbit.....slide it off like a glove...….quicker..but more work back home in the shed......opening it out, after drying and scraping the old ''under arm fat '  off prior to selling.....the "slow " way removed that with that thumb ……..Thumbs took a helluva   beating over the years.....Sometimes would "lock back " in protest,,,!!

Can't skin them when freshly killed...fur just falls out in chunks......

Thought you blokes might have picked up on the 15 speed Chev   !!……..One of my first attempts at engineering   was fitting a  Rugby   gear box behind the Chev's.....  Rugby's had a "cone clutch "...thus no conventional, bell housing on the front  of those box's....thus the fifteen or more speeds.....but low gear was  an absolute snail's pace...for crossing our rivers....

Another bit of useless information......sigh...apologies  to VT Fireman, re his thread...….

Mike

• Like 1
22 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

Brakes might have come in handy in those hills...almost looks like an episode out of the Beverly Hillbillies...lol

Great story can picture your Mom commenting on the noises emanating from the bowels and the tag team action on the beaver, wonderful times that may never be seen again...

On 5/26/2020 at 4:06 AM, mike newman said:

Mike

post-157-0-11273800-1458721527.jpg

post-157-1162228927  Mike poss.jpg

post-157-1162107036  Mike poss...2.jpg

Last nights catch.  Loaded with ticks in his ears, cought on dry cat food. One less Opossum in the Neighborhood38515266-43EA-4313-B147-D1FF8F2A46FE.thumb.jpeg.1439fb87acccd2bf3d2df3d5b4c2fd7a.jpeg3CA36BC2-F115-4ADD-B1B7-C503CA5CB59E.thumb.jpeg.1ba1b64f1fa775d38a17bff2486aa4fb.jpegB75D7BEB-90FB-4F87-AD62-CBC3C24D7B48.thumb.jpeg.87aea4201d9dd297c216fa60b2b0a0bd.jpeg

..thanks for that , Lorenzo...….totally different critter from the Australian version, now colonised   throughout NZ..... On 'ours "   the tail had to be attached, otherwise skin down graded, because the  real thick fur ran right down  the tail.....except for a thin strip of 'skin' under his tail...….Yeah   no wonder you blokes must of thought  "W** " you skinning them for …..!!

Mike

• Haha 1
On 5/25/2020 at 9:15 PM, Sledgehammer said:

Once I caught a momma raccoon with 5 little ones in a have-a-Heart. One more little one was running around the trap. Caught him the next night. 

• Like 1

Possums must have some rugged guts. Every night a whole bag of rat/mouse bait was getting eaten. Rat traps sprung but no one home. I finally set a Have A Heart and caught a 'possum. Face only another one could love. I turned it loose and it never came back.

• Like 1