Jump to content

Recommended Posts

So after catching 2 coons I had one tear my havahart trap up. Kinda pricey at 2 coons per trap, so I have ordered a couple dogproofs, I was trying to be nicer about it but it’s war now. 

Any advice for using these traps? Any better trap suggestions? 

Anyone have a use for dead coons? 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Bait them with the cheapest cat food you can find and a couple drops of shellfish oil. Now, the oil is some of the most foul smelling stuff known to mankind so take this as a warning. Put some cat food in a sandwich baggie and add a few drops of oil. Stir it up and place some in the dog proof trap with a plastic spoon. Be sure and stake the trap into the ground well. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Bait them with the cheapest cat food you can find and a couple drops of shellfish oil. Now, the oil is some of the most foul smelling stuff known to mankind so take this as a warning. Put some cat food in a sandwich baggie and add a few drops of oil. Stir it up and place some in the dog proof trap with a plastic spoon. Be sure and stake the trap into the ground well. 

Chain to a tree?

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Chain to a tree?

It will have a small 6-8” spike on the bottom for sticking into the ground along with a short piece of chain. The chain will typically go to a trap stake which is 18” or so and doesn’t come with the trap. I lengthen my chain also but that’s just me. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

What type of cat food? Just dry stuff? We put up a trail cam in the barn last night after something flipped the cat food dish over and tore into a bag of milk replacer.  Got coon pics this morning. I haven’t seen 5 coon on the entire farm in my life. Rare to see one at all around here. I have a have-a-heart I was going to set up, tomorrow. Forgot about it tonight.  I’m sure I’ll just catch one of the three cats though.  Sounds  like the dog proof trapsyou guys are talking about....wouldn’t be good with my cats.  I was considering trying to see if I could catch the coon in an empty 55 gallon drum. set it beside the shelf that I know he was on, bait in the bottom, maybe he would jump down in there? The cat could probably jump out, could a coon? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

What type of cat food? Just dry stuff? We put up a trail cam in the barn last night after something flipped the cat food dish over and tore into a bag of milk replacer.  Got coon pics this morning. I haven’t seen 5 coon on the entire farm in my life. Rare to see one at all around here. I have a have-a-heart I was going to set up, tomorrow. Forgot about it tonight.  I’m sure I’ll just catch one of the three cats though.  Sounds  like the dog proof trapsyou guys are talking about....wouldn’t be good with my cats.  I was considering trying to see if I could catch the coon in an empty 55 gallon drum. set it beside the shelf that I know he was on, bait in the bottom, maybe he would jump down in there? The cat could probably jump out, could a coon? 

Cheap dry cat food. The shellfish oil really drives them nuts. I’ve seen people use marshmallows also. Not sure the drum would be worth your time. The live traps work fine. I find that they work better when covered.  I made a plywood box to go over ours. Place regular dry cat food in a dish at the back and see what happens. We have LOTS of coons around here. Low fur prices the last several years means nobody bothers hunting or trapping much. 
 

This was a one night haul in 2013 with 5 of us. No dogs and no traps. Just shining and covering as much ground as we could. 

01E89EA8-7F3F-4F9C-8CBE-AF59558CA843.jpeg

  • Like 5
Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, Sledgehammer said:

Cheap dry cat food. The shellfish oil really drives them nuts. I’ve seen people use marshmallows also. Not sure the drum would be worth your time. The live traps work fine. I find that they work better when covered.  I made a plywood box to go over ours. Place regular dry cat food in a dish at the back and see what happens. We have LOTS of coons around here. Low fur prices the last several years means nobody bothers hunting or trapping much. 
 

This was a one night haul in 2013 with 5 of us. No dogs and no traps. Just shining and covering as much ground as we could. 

01E89EA8-7F3F-4F9C-8CBE-AF59558CA843.jpeg

Good lord! That’s a lot of coons! You can keep them, thanks. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, nate said:

Just put a couple small marshmallows in the dogproof trap.  You’ll have one by morning.  

Any idea why marshmallow? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Any idea why marshmallow? 

Cats dont go for them as much i believe

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I also had them bust out the cage. I now have a paw trap. 4 nights. 4 coons. I was using cat food. 5th night I got a cat. Darn cat limped around a few days and has been fine since except she now has 6 kittens.

Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, cedar farm said:

I also had them bust out the cage. I now have a paw trap. 4 nights. 4 coons. I was using cat food. 5th night I got a cat. Darn cat limped around a few days and has been fine since except she now has 6 kittens.

Just a guess here but I’m betting my wife wouldn’t be very understanding if I caught her cat, better make sure it’s inside before setting the traps...?

Link to post
Share on other sites

I get a lot of coons on my game camera at the sawmill, which is behind our grain building. I also get a lot of these guys. They don't fit in the Haveaheart traps. That's a 50# bag of feed. 

 

MFDC4120.JPG

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

After all my years of hunting, camping and fishing, I bought two nightvision trail cams, why? I had a rat problem, a sh**rat problem, piece of misery stole my compressor, like the proverbial closing the barn door after the horse is gone there hasn't been anyone sticking their nose around, we have 'coons also but they don't creat any problems.

  • Sad 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dave Shepard said:

I get a lot of coons on my game camera at the sawmill, which is behind our grain building. I also get a lot of these guys. They don't fit in the Haveaheart traps. That's a 50# bag of feed. 

 

MFDC4120.JPG

We have them, thus far only need to replace bird feeders and clean up trash cans once in a while, hot pepper powder usually encourages them to go annoy someone who’s birdseed and trash don’t enflame their noses. Seem to need an annual reminder. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

i have lots of coon cuffs, marshmellows work great under the trigger - maple syrup is good outside of the sticky it creates - fish emulsion is cheap and stinks for attractant, you can use anise oil it carries far and has that sweet smell they like and i put it in my fish emulsion for attractant when making pocket sets and in a dawn dish bottle and just squirt it in teh hole

sardines work well, poke holes in bottom of can and wire to bottom of cage so they cant move it 

tuna is cheap u cna put a dollup of tha tin the cant each nite 

love the coon cuffs but catching a fox is a little more tricky and usually ground sets work best for them 

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Just little marshmallows here do the trick

 No stink and treats for me while setting the traps. I used cat food one time and got a cat. Never again. Just marshmallows from now on.

Resized_20200317_171938_1019.jpeg

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

Cheap dry cat food. The shellfish oil really drives them nuts. I’ve seen people use marshmallows also. Not sure the drum would be worth your time. The live traps work fine. I find that they work better when covered.  I made a plywood box to go over ours. Place regular dry cat food in a dish at the back and see what happens. We have LOTS of coons around here. Low fur prices the last several years means nobody bothers hunting or trapping much. 
 

This was a one night haul in 2013 with 5 of us. No dogs and no traps. Just shining and covering as much ground as we could. 

01E89EA8-7F3F-4F9C-8CBE-AF59558CA843.jpeg

   Todd....do you skin them....??   like is there  a market for coon skins  ???   I know my good mate in Utah   skins coyotes   and bobcats..to sell...….

,..I used to  trap / poison   and skin opossums   for years...….chasing   the dollar !!

Mike

Link to post
Share on other sites

Dad used to trap coons in Hav-a-Hart traps, and the coons started tearing them up. So Dad started making his own traps from old water heaters, heavy, stronger, hardly needed to stake them. He got the water heaters from anyone who had one to get rid of. Then people found out what he was doing and people stopped giving them to him.  He did get a couple requests to make traps for people.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

If what you call dog proof traps are the ones that the coon puts its paw into and the trap snaps closed on his paw, they work pretty good..... Most of the time. I caught several coons in our garden sweet corn patch. I loaned some traps to a friend for his corn patch. He caught a few coons also. But one morning all he had in a trap was  a coon's paw !!! There is a three legged coon in his neighborhood now.  

  • Haha 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, 7and8and1456 said:

If what you call dog proof traps are the ones that the coon puts its paw into and the trap snaps closed on his paw, they work pretty good..... Most of the time. I caught several coons in our garden sweet corn patch. I loaned some traps to a friend for his corn patch. He caught a few coons also. But one morning all he had in a trap was  a coon's paw !!! There is a three legged coon in his neighborhood now.  

That’s determination 

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mike newman said:

   Todd....do you skin them....??   like is there  a market for coon skins  ???   I know my good mate in Utah   skins coyotes   and bobcats..to sell...….

,..I used to  trap / poison   and skin opossums   for years...….chasing   the dollar !!

Mike

We used to when there was a fur market. The last several years they have not been worth skinning. Opossums were never worth skinning here. The year that pic was taken we made good money on coons.  Split everything even with the number of guys who went. There are 86 in that picture.

I’m a hunter more than a trapper. Just got into trapping a little bit a couple years ago when I was going after a nearly white coon we had on a trail camera.  Two years after the picture a neighbor saw the coon. I set out to bag it at that point and actually should be getting a call from the taxidermist any day telling me it’s done. 

3FB9C818-3264-40C3-BDAB-FD33DCA1B1B2.jpeg

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 7and8and1456 said:

If what you call dog proof traps are the ones that the coon puts its paw into and the trap snaps closed on his paw, they work pretty good..... Most of the time. I caught several coons in our garden sweet corn patch. I loaned some traps to a friend for his corn patch. He caught a few coons also. But one morning all he had in a trap was  a coon's paw !!! There is a three legged coon in his neighborhood now.  

I had one do that as i walked up to dispatch him. He didnt get far tho....

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...