Sign in to follow this  

1466 fuel system problems

My neighbor plants some watermelons and sweet corn, maybe uses his 1466 for 50 to 100 hours a year. He says it runs great pulling a load for maybe 1/4 mile then dies, but restarts. He replaced fuel filters and he thought it ran better but last night died 3 times then needed ether to restart. Can a plugged return cause this? Also the rubber fuel hose from Injection pump to filter he replaced with a hyd hose last year, could that be related? I know I've been told to never use a hyd hose in that application. Pump was overhauled when engine was rebuilt a few thousand hours ago. I may have time to look at it today, just had a few questions before I get there, thanks

plugged return is a Roosa problem, not an American Bosch Model 100 issue. The hydraulic hose is likely coming apart inside, plugging the port to the head of the pump. They need good fuel flow to run. Repeated dying like this is almost guaranteed a fuel flow problem, not an actual injection pump problem.

I agree with injpumped. I would unscrew the supply line off at the pump and see if it runs full stream before I did anything else.

Take the hydraulic hose off and install the proper fuel line.

• Like 1

Maybe Ed can clarify but we had a 966 do this years ago and we replaced the primary pump out in the field. I mean the pump on back of inj pump

If the transfer pump failed, it would not ever run in my opinion. It won't partly fail that I can see. 

Didnt know if the 100 pumps would plug return line or not. I agree that it has to be a flow to pump issue. I'll take a look in the next day or 2. Rained this morning, finishing some shop and honey do projects, lol. Thanks a bunch!

1 hour ago, Injpumped said:

If the transfer pump failed, it would not ever run in my opinion. It won't partly fail that I can see. 

This was Around 34 years ago but I remember bolting the new transfer pump on. We were seeeding with 966 This time of year and all was working good but then about a day before tractor died out hard to restart. It would stall more often until the next day we got it running and drov it to yard. I still clearly temper dad changed primary pump then it ran