Well I was thinking a straight tread tire.    Just for floatation?  Less ground compaction 

Yes, we did that years ago when running 20 in row beans. The front tire tracks were too hard to plant into if conditions were wrong so Dad put front duals on the planter tractor. worked like a charm. Of course this was over thirty years ago before we had Early Riser row units. Today we would just use big fronts like the ones on Cruella.

KIMG1477.jpg

• Like 5
9 hours ago, dannyredfan said:

Anyone ever duel the front tires for flotation ?

harder on bearings and spindles the more rubber you hang up front not to mention more steering effort I would advise against it those IH spindles break very easily anyway

I prefer tall front tires on front in mud. I have a set of 11X24 on the front of my 856. It has a loader on it most all the time. Thx-Ace

You gotta keep in mind these tractors have a pretty heavy camber (why the outside of the tire wears off first). Another tire of the same size is just going to put a lot of pressure on the inner rim and hub and bearings. At the very least you'd want to downsize a size maybe more.

Not that iam going to.       But you hang 1300# on the front  thats a lot of psi on front tires 

55 minutes ago, dannyredfan said:

Not that iam going to.       But you hang 1300# on the front  thats a lot of psi on front tires 

No worse than running a loader on the front....factory sized tires and wheels will handle that just fine....

Travis

I thought you were talking about pistols at 50 paces.

7 hours ago, o121937 said:

I thought you were talking about pistols at 50 paces.

I would rather not lol.  

Never seen a 2wd with front duals but years ago a relative put duals on the steer axle of a 403 combine. IIRC, he took the duals off within a couple hours. Combine was hard to steer and the rear duals drug in the mud to the point it was worse than having single. At the time I had a JD 4400 combine & I had the local welding shop split the rear rims & widen then  to put on 11:00 × 16 tri-ribs. Also had them split the front rims & put on 23.1 tires in place of the 18.4s that came on it. Combine handled a lot better in mud.  Dont remember  but year but was between '74 when I bought the combine & 79 when I traded it. 

I bet RAINMAN has seen the 706 right on the south edge of Sun Prairie with home-made frt duals, think they were worn out pickup tires. Same place had the rattiest 806-D abandoned on the roadbank until about a year or two ago.

Guys made marsh hay, if they rutted up the field they bounced thru the ruts for years.  Bet they used some sort of spacer bank and four pieces of ready-rod fed thru the four wheel weight bolt holes on each wheel. And like MATT said, outer tire needs to be a bit shorter.

I would go to bigger/taller tires before duals.  Just like the 11-24, etc FWA tires they put on 2wd combines for better flotation.    Who says you have to have FWA to use the tires?   

And yes, 2wd front tires can do a LOT of compaction....the motor and weights all sitting over a much smaller footprint.   The front tires always dig the ruts in first, IME usually the back tires get dug in trying to get the front tires out of the mud!    I'll bet there is some research out there somewhere.

• Thanks 1

We added aircraft tires to the front end of out 464 mower tractor. technically they are H-950-31-16- 16 ply.  Basically they are 9.5" wide and 31" tall, much wider than the pizza dish 700-16  stock tires  The wider tires really make a difference in field damage after a soaking rain and the AC 16 ply will support the tractor with 5 PSI of AP.  Only down side I have discovered is I had to put the off-set out to keep the mud off the front spindles. The flotation was a freebee, we got the AC 16 Ply to keep the Maclura Pomifera  THRONES out of the fronts!

I put duals on the front of my A one year. We were frost seeding and there were some soft spots. All I did was take a second wheel center with a rim and tire mounted on it and bolted it to the original wheel center just as if I was adding a wheel weigh. I used 3 pieces of pipe to space them out. Worked ok