advice needed on hay vs straw for garden application.

I would like to try straw for weed suppression, between rows and between plants, a certain eccentric member here says he can get me plenty come July, but im hoping to try this sooner ( I still may take him up on the straw anyway) I have access to about as much wrapped round bales as I could want, some round bales that are stored inside or square bales. I don't want to put hay down and begin a hay garden,  my question here is would the wet nature of the soggy hay kill any seeds that might want to germinate? second question would the wrapped round bale have viable seeds in it after it "ferments" and secondarily would it contain anything I wouldn't want on the garden. 

the plan, if this works, is to use it for weed control for a season, York rake it off and compost it so eventually I would end up with compost each year to till in and less weeds to deal with all year. 

I am open to thoughts. 

thanks

I will also add, in case she reads this, that the garden is truly my wifes endeavor but I am trying to streamline the process so she has more time for cooking and cleaning😉😆

2 minutes ago, Butch-Ky said:

Old News Papers and a lot of them By fall most will be gone 

we have a friend who does that, she calls it lasagna gardening. 

Just now, RichardDSalyer said:

Duck on the menu?

just duck eggs, but they make an awesome omelet with some asparagus and fresh onions. 

6 minutes ago, RichardDSalyer said:

Duck eggs are higher in cholesterol and fat, correct?

yes, also in size, they are mostly yolk and about 50 percent bigger than a chicken egg

when a neighbor did 6ac + of truck farm or cidiote sales we put down ( with his machine now sold commercially) 30- 36"-48" plastic with drip tube  then either sprayed between or the main 3 what ever was cheap newspaper, straw, weekly (under 5 " ) clippings from the 3ac yard (never use the foxtail/grabgrass from late july on

never hay it has desirable seeds and weeds that breed

bTOs use the machine /layer on sweet corn and either pumpkin ,watermelon etc for weed control

last we had at home I spaced so the troybuilt fit the plastic rows ,every 2 weeks took a pass

1 hour ago, vtfireman85 said:

I would like to try straw for weed suppression, between rows and between plants, a certain eccentric member here says he can get me plenty come July, but im hoping to try this sooner ( I still may take him up on the straw anyway) I have access to about as much wrapped round bales as I could want, some round bales that are stored inside or square bales. I don't want to put hay down and begin a hay garden,  my question here is would the wet nature of the soggy hay kill any seeds that might want to germinate? second question would the wrapped round bale have viable seeds in it after it "ferments" and secondarily would it contain anything I wouldn't want on the garden. 

the plan, if this works, is to use it for weed control for a season, York rake it off and compost it so eventually I would end up with compost each year to till in and less weeds to deal with all year. 

I am open to thoughts. 

thanks

I will also add, in case she reads this, that the garden is truly my wifes endeavor but I am trying to streamline the process so she has more time for cooking and cleaning😉😆

Is the eccentric member the one I mentioned to you?

• Haha 1

We used to have a significant truck patch and used mulch hay between rows of some crops from time to time..  Weed pressure for us was never evending.  We usually used junk or mulch hay because it is what we had. > think you have a good point straw will put less to no seeds in the garden but we got along fine with the hay. 

In our market straw sells stronger then poor quality hay so cost would be a consideration if i was purchaning it.  We were always able to plow whatever was left under and never tried to collect and compost what was still there.

Plastic mulch and plastic mulch equipment like mmi is talking about are very popular here.  i have some sitting someone could use if they were close. Unfortunately this really doesnt work well in typicalgardens for several reasons and isnt too "green".

• Like 1

I did the hay thing on my small garden for years and it worked great. I used square bales and just broke off "flakes" and covered everything up. If some weeds did sprout, I just covered them up with more flakes. Just plow whatever is left in the spring under.  My garden was about 20x20  and it took 6-8 bales to do it. Squash in particular did a lot better as it also helped with soil moisture, plus picking the fruit was a lot easier with it laying on top of the hay.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Ihfan4life said:

Is the eccentric member the one I mentioned to you?

I put confirmation of this right along with making "plans" never make a plan, because when you get to court they start using nasty terms, like "premeditated" and " with malice of forethought" 

• Confused 1
6 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I put confirmation of this right along with making "plans" never make a plan, because when you get to court they start using nasty terms, like "premeditated" and " with malice of forethought" 

If there was ever a Clintonian sidestepping of the facts at hand.

We might have to start calling you Sethro Jefferson Clinton.

Hmmmmm, what dormitory was it that you stayed in?  Oh, right, it was Clinton.  What an interesting “coincidence”.

• Haha 1
47 minutes ago, 1586 Jeff said:

If there was ever a Clintonian sidestepping of the facts at hand.

We might have to start calling you Sethro Jefferson Clinton.

Hmmmmm, what dormitory was it that you stayed in?  Oh, right, it was Clinton.  What an interesting “coincidence”.

Sigh...

only caution with straw ,,know how the grain was harvested

if they used roundup on the grain before harvest don't do it.

the straw is contaminated and will kill  your plants

several people with small gardens lost everything from this.

Mike

• Thanks 1

Used Marsh Hay for mulching new lawns, doesn't have weed seed like hay & straw and  not hollow stemmed  like straw to blow away.