RABA Steigers

IH OAK

Does anybody know if there are any Raba Steigers in North America And if they are for sale?

• Like 2

Raba is an axle manufacturer......  The Steiger tractors used a lot of Raba axles.  

??????????

I believe they made the front axle for the 2+2's also if my memory is correct. 

22 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

Raba is an axle manufacturer......  The Steiger tractors used a lot of Raba axles.  

??????????

They made tractors too. In Russia.

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

??????????

The early 2+2's used KIMCO axles, 33/35/3788, 63/65/6788.  I "Think" it was the Super 70's, 72/7488 was supposed to get a RABA axle. There were 200-300 of them in a row piled up in front of Milan Surplus for several years.  The Kimco axle shared parts with the 574 utility tractor final drive. It was stressed enough on the 37/6788's.  I know we discussed those RABA axles 10+ years ago on here.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, J-Mech said:

??????????

They made tractors too. In Russia.

raba6.jpg

raba5.jpg

raba4.jpg

raba3.jpg

raba2.jpg

raba.jpg

• Like 2

They were made in Hungary, under license from Steiger in the mid-1970s. Don't think they were ever exported to North America. Think they were just offered in Europe. 

Here's a few pictures.....notice the IH 400 Cyclo corn planter painted yellow in the one picture....interesting.

Also, didn't IH have some sort of license/contract with Raba in the late 1970s? I know I've seen a yellow IH 2+2 pulling a yellow IH plow that had some connection with Raba/Hungary(think it was one of Ken Updike's IH books).

Raba tractor #1.PNG

Raba tractor #2.PNG

Raba tractor #3.PNG

• Like 4

1 hour ago, SDman said:

They were made in Hungary, under license from Steiger in the mid-1970s. Don't think they were ever exported to North America. Think they were just offered in Europe. 

Here's a few pictures.....notice the IH 400 Cyclo corn planter painted yellow in the one picture....interesting.

Also, didn't IH have some sort of license/contract with Raba in the late 1970s? I know I've seen a yellow IH 2+2 pulling a yellow IH plow that had some connection with Raba/Hungary(think it was one of Ken Updike's IH books).

Raba tractor #1.PNG

Raba tractor #2.PNG

Raba tractor #3.PNG

In that post I put up they talk about raba building or assembly of ih stuff in hungary

• Like 1

I wish the book would have went into more detail on the axle failure issue.  The few that I have seen did look undersized.  There were domestically produced axles that would have worked but I suppose agreement of export tractors to Hungary was too good to pass up.  Also, add JD to the list of axles RABA supplied for as I just discovered the other day.  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

I wish the book would have went into more detail on the axle failure issue.  The few that I have seen did look undersized.  There were domestically produced axles that would have worked but I suppose agreement of export tractors to Hungary was too good to pass up.  Also, add JD to the list of axles RABA supplied for as I just discovered the other day.  

You know the say under sized. But both ihc and jd used tractor axles in payloaders. Both mfg axles were trouble in tractors but in front on payloaders held up. Was it from pulling the rear instead of actual weight on front?

1 minute ago, dale560 said:

You know the say under sized. But both ihc and jd used tractor axles in payloaders. Both mfg axles were trouble in tractors but in front on payloaders held up. Was it from pulling the rear instead of actual weight on front?

I think maybe not under continuous load???  The axles are only getting hammered half of the time.  

12 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

I think maybe not under continuous load???  The axles are only getting hammered half of the time.  

Probably. I know the 515 payloader uses a 2+2 axle or something very close and a 644 jd payloader uses a 8630 style front end but it has brakes where tractor only used rear for brake.

9 minutes ago, dale560 said:

Probably. I know the 515 payloader uses a 2+2 axle or something very close and a 644 jd payloader uses a 8630 style front end but it has brakes where tractor only used rear for brake.

Did the 8630 axle match up with any of the 2 wheel drive models?  Didn't the 7520 use 4630 axles and the 7020 use 4020 axles.  

33 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

Did the 8630 axle match up with any of the 2 wheel drive models?  Didn't the 7520 use 4630 axles and the 7020 use 4020 axles.  

I don’t know what they matched up with I know there are 3 different axles used on the 8430 /8630. With the last year after 7000 some serial on 8630s they had the 40 and 50 style cooling axle and wider set bearings with different planet ratios. That’s why most late tractors had 38 inch rubber. 

just looked it up. The midrange serial no’s have a 4630 rear axle. Always thought front rear were the same but no they are different numbers. The late serial 8630 has 4640 axle in rear.

On 5/23/2020 at 10:37 PM, Big Bud guy said:

On 5/23/2020 at 10:46 PM, dale560 said:

On 5/23/2020 at 10:49 PM, Big Bud guy said:

I have been  told that the problem with the axles in the 4WDs was that they didn't speed them up and put planetaries at the ends to slow down the wheels. this allows the other parts to spin faster and be lighter.

• Like 1

I'm guessing just about every North American manufacturer that worked with Raba as a supplier had issues with quality control over there...certainly Steiger and CaseIH did back in the day. To put it succinctly, Raba was like every other manufacturer from the Eastern bloc/Communist countries from that time......quantity came first, while quality came a distant second. Used to deal with 598 Raba axles on the last green Steigers as well as the 91/9200 series CaseIH Steigers. Raba axles were the only product I can remember wearing out a set of special tools for them just because we did so many....we had to order all new special tools for them in the mid-1990s. Probably didn't help that by that time we had mostly triples on 91/9280s or else they had combine tire duals(30.5x32s). With those tire options, the axle bearings were terribly inadequate...especially if somebody added extra weight such as fluid in the tires or suitcase weights in front and back. Also, differentials gave a lot of problems on them, too. Most of these problems were addressed with the 694 axles on the 9370/80/90 series tractors.

598 Raba axles were one of the reasons CaseIH came out with the "2/3 price of new" warranty policy. Simply put, if the parts costs for the repair exceed 2/3 the value of a new assembly/component, order the new assembly/component instead. With the double-reduction planetary hubs in the 598 axles, it was pretty easy to exceed the "2/3 of new" figure. Replaced several complete axle assemblies on 91/9280s back when they were in warranty.

Maybe Deere can straighten out the quality control problem they have had over there for many years...but I wouldn't bet on it.

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

SD - so what does my 9230 use??  are they a similar but lighter version?  Any special treatment I need to give them--ie change oil very often, check....?

Jeff, your 9230 uses a Raba 593 axle, which is quite a bit different than the 598s used on the bigger models. Yours has a bar axle for infinite wheel spacing and inboard planetaries...the 598s had outboard planetaries and hubs, no provision for wheel spacing adjustment. 

As far as maintenance, regular oil changes would be the main thing I would stress. That was one thing CaseIH flip-flopped on over the years of 91/9200 series Steiger production...the oil used in those axles. Originally, Steiger specified 80W-90 gear lube; CaseIH changed it to Hy-Tran about halfway through 9100 series production; only to change it back to gear lube later on in 9200 series production. Don't know that I ever seen any axle failures due to the Hy-Tran itself...most of the failures I ever seen were due to the reasons in my earlier post.

To be honest with you, we never sold many 91/9200 series row-crop tractors. We sold mostly large-frame bareback models at that time...Magnums were the big seller in that HP range at the time. Eventually that would change to more small-chassis Steigers being sold at the expense of large HP Magnum models.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 5/23/2020 at 9:01 PM, SDman said:

Raba tractor #1.PNG

Would that cyclo be running off of a hyd PTO??

I believe some of the Steigers got them.