Looking for new screwdriver set

Call me wrong, I don’t care. But for $25 Craftsman screwdrivers are a pretty good deal. I’m probably going to get another set next time I go to Lowe’s. They’re cheap enough that you can toss them, lose them, put a couple in a vehicle or tractor and not worry about them. Just my opinion. 

That isn’t something I would want to do with Snap on or any other premium priced screwdriver.

• Like 2

I would recommend Snap-On for screw drivers if you have a local dealer that you can reach.  My dealer I can normally meet at his lunch and he will leave things for me at a friend’s business if I ask.  He will also pick up and warranty tools at the buddies.

But I don’t turn wrenches for a living anymore so I have three levels of tools 

First level is my shop/garage.  I like good stuff that is warranted.  I have some Snap-On and I will freely admit to being a fan.  If I use something a lot I buy Snap-On or an equally good product.  I am not a total tool snob though, I have plenty of cheap tools for single use to. One example is the clutch fan tool set I have, rarely use so it’s just a O’Rielys kit. Snap-On screwdrivers and sockets, Knipex pliers, Gear wrench ratchet wrenches, Proto punches, Cresent adjustable size, and so on.  

Second Level. Tools that I use on the job site (I am charging for the work) . I buy quality that works. I watch the budget but use Klein screwdrivers, Rigid tools, channel locks and crescent for some other stuff, they Craftsman or Kobalt tools.  I want good stuff to get the job done but not so much that if it walks off or gets left behind I lose a mortgage payment 

Third level.  Tools I hope not to use.  I buy the cheap sets as needed for behind the seat of the truck, in the camper, and on the tractor.  Besides being in position to be stolen, I don’t plan to use them.  If I do they are good enough to get the job done. I also have some of these for loaning out.  

so where does your use fall in this?  Lol. 

• Like 1
17 hours ago, vtfireman85 said:

I have a Carlisle set in the garage, I really like, the grip is kinda triangular and gives a very positive grip with greasy hands. 

Klein is also outstanding quality but the grips are tough with grease and oil sometimes. 

I use Klein mostly atleast on the job. I had a Klein set when I was and apprentice with triangular handle. Really liked them eventhough I believe they were made in Germany. 

I have a set of old triangle shaped Snap On's that I've used for over 30 years and I love them. They grip well and the bits are extremely durable.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, AKwelder said:

so where does your use fall in this?  Lol. 

Your third string made me laff, I have more  ******* sockets for one time applications, but the funniest was repiping a 500 gallon GD air tank, 24 inch pipe wrench’s with a snipe wouldn’t work, had to buy a 3/4” drive    2 1/2” socket with a 21” 3/4” drive Johnson bar, those along with the snipe made it possible to get the bung plug out, 100.00 or so for a one time application.

• Like 1

C.J. Baker used to write some EXCELLENT technical articles in Hot-Rod magazine back in the late 1960's and '70's.  Things the new hot-rodder needed to learn. His advice on what a young car guy needed in his tool box was great. He said you needed one screwdriver to be a pry bar, chisel, gasket scraper, and anything/everything else you needed, then your "Good SET" to tighten/loosen screws with. I bought a big 3/8" square shank straight blade STANLEY screwdriver, kinda a 3 lobe handle, think I bought it in 1967 or '68. Still the best screwdriver I own by far! It has been abused too. I've had three? Maybe 4 sets of good screwdrivers that have been pure junk. Think one set was Irwin? Two Craftsman, and the other set was PennCraft, Wife used to work at Penny's 35+ yrs ago and they had a pretty respectable tool dept. With the Wife's 15% employee discount. Had lots of Penney's power tools too.  The last set of Craftsman screwdrivers I could twist up the shank almost half a turn with one hand. My NEW set I haven't used that much, they're the gray handled ones, grit blasted tips, seems to be a lot better, but not near as good as the Stanley.  I use driver bits in drills, or drivers, chew them up and toss them.  I considered buying a set of Snap-On's, even considered going to Kenosha and buying them at the company store, but still too dang much money!

I've been looking for a GOOD set of SAE and Metric nut drivers. Same brands win as with screwdrivers. Like for tightening/loosening hose clamps, nut drivers are the best.

On 5/23/2020 at 8:52 AM, Diesel Doctor said:

Mine are so old the grips are starting to split and the dealer replaces them without any questions.

High priced, not in the long run if you can keep from losing them.

I just got about six replaced because of the same problem. The old epoxy handles from the 70s and 80s will eventually just fall apart just sitting in  the toolbox.  Replace them no questions asked.  Craftsman are hard to beat for everyday use though.

On 5/23/2020 at 8:51 AM, yellowrosefarm said:

Lots of Snap On screwdriver sets on EBAY.  All the dealers in the trucks are individual franchise holders. So, they each run their business as they see fit. I've been more than fortunate to have one of the best to deal with for 25 years, but I've heard the horror stories of some others.

That’s very true. 

I have known mine since 1980 and have never had any sort of financial specific requirements , monthly requirements, or revolving credit Mumbo  jumbo as stated above.   O well,  in the long run it’s a screw driver for Christ’s sake , who gives a dam . 

Go to harbor  frieght, get the cheapest ones on the planet , use them once and throw them away . 🙄

14 minutes ago, lorenzo said:

That’s very true. 

I have known mine since 1980 and have never had any sort of financial specific requirements , monthly requirements, or revolving credit Mumbo  jumbo as stated above.   O well,  in the long run it’s a screw driver for Christ’s sake , who gives a dam . 

Go to harbor  frieght, get the cheapest ones on the planet , use them once and throw them away . 🙄

Everyone is going to be taking pictures of their hands all bandaged up because the cheap harbor freight screwdriver rounded off the tip, but they just bought it so being cheap bas***** like all of us are, won’t throw them away. Instead they take the opposite hand and hold the tip onto whatever it is they’re trying to fix, the tip slips and goes threw the hand...🤕🥴☹️

• Haha 1