966 Sitting 30 years

IHBOWEN

48 minutes ago, 560Dennis said:

Was this one a barn find too ? 
Can you find me a hydro while you a plucking the hot set ups 

NO my Dad bought it around 1980, it was our main tillage and planting tractor for years. We pulled a 7-16 plow, 13 shank chisel plow and a 23’ 480 disk with a cultipacker behind it. The 1566 dynos 220hp. Here is a video of my late Dad plowing with it in 1993.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVVBC7KNBl8

• Like 1

3 hours ago, IHBOWEN said:

NO my Dad bought it around 1980, it was our main tillage and planting tractor for years. We pulled a 7-16 plow, 13 shank chisel plow and a 23’ 480 disk with a cultipacker behind it. The 1566 dynos 220hp. Here is a video of my late Dad plowing with it in 1993.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVVBC7KNBl8

Very cool video.I like how your dad was plowing not fast like a bat out of **** but good steady speed .Some of this plow videos it's like they go fast just to be cool,smoke flying.I think to myself it would wear you out bouncing,ripping and tearing all day in that seat trying to hang on.If you hooked a rock or something busted it be tore to pieces untill you got stopped.It looked like you had snap on  duals on that 1566.So much for them being weak.I have couple sets of them never had a problem with them.

7 minutes ago, Jacka said:

Very cool video.I like how your dad was plowing not fast like a bat out of **** but good steady speed .Some of this plow videos it's like they go fast just to be cool,smoke flying.I think to myself it would wear you out bouncing,ripping and tearing all.day in that seat trying to hang on.If you hooked a rock or something busted it be tore to pieces untill you got stopped.It looked like you had snap on  duals on that 1566.So much for them being weak.I have couple sets of them never had a problem witj them.

The tractor did nothing but heavy work and we never had any issues with the snap on duals when they were on the tractor. 1566’s get a bad rap about only being a 3 speed but it had all the speed needed in each gear. 

• Like 1

You take that tractor and get it running. Make sure and take it over to show it to him every chance you get. If he wasnt proud of it he would of sold it years ago. It evidently meant enough he hung on to it, and you evidently mean something to him as well or he would of never gave it to you. Thats my .02. I've got a few things laying around (not a 966) that I would be the same way about. I'm a little surprised to see that straight pipe on the 15 back in 93. I'll bet pops hearing isnt the best after all the years. Mostly retired toy tractors get the straight pipes. I would of made 3 laps and  said WHAT!!!! DO YOU STILL HAVE THE MUFFLER!!!! LOL  No offense it's your rig and that's cool it's been the backbone of the farm and you still got it. Keep us posted on the new rig. 

On 5/22/2020 at 8:46 PM, red tractor fever said:

I wondered the same thing about backwards mounting.

The frame brace cross plate is under the front frame, as it should be.   I think the lights mounting plate just fell off, as suggested.

1 hour ago, TeachersPet1066 said:

Does make peace of mind when pump and injectors are gone through...

Yeah but what have you got to lose by checking the oil, looking for mouse nests up under the dash, putting some batteries in it, and giving it a try? I'd put good money on it popping right off with the fuel that's in it, and better than 50% chance that it will run just fine without dropping a bunch of money on a pump and injectors.

If it doesn't run right then you fix the pump and injectors.

58 minutes ago, Matt Kirsch said:

Yeah but what have you got to lose by checking the oil, looking for mouse nests up under the dash, putting some batteries in it, and giving it a try? I'd put good money on it popping right off with the fuel that's in it, and better than 50% chance that it will run just fine without dropping a bunch of money on a pump and injectors.

If it doesn't run right then you fix the pump and injectors.

unless it runs away and blows a rod out the side, hurting someone. It is probably way better off having 30 year old diesel in it like mentioned above, but in either case injection pump parts get gummed up and sticky. On these and inline pumps, they can start and run uncontrolled. The Roosa and CAV pumps usually will not pump fuel when gummed up. I've rebuilt many pumps that are on tractors/trucks that have been sitting for long periods. If it runs, good deal, but most likely they begin leaking externally or putting fuel in the oil, so keep an eye on the oil level. It's good to hear another getting resurected, I really don't like seeing machines sit to rot away. Let someone take it and bring it back to enjoy, and others to enjoy also.

• Like 1

I think it’s a heck of a find. That tractor is in way better shape than when I bought my 966. I’m thinking there may be some wolves in JD green clothing doubting the old girl?. Sure you’re gonna have some leaks here and there when you start using it but those old tractors were way over built.  

From the looks of that 1566 you obviously know what you’re doing!  Post more pics and let us know how things progress.  Make your friend proud!

1 hour ago, kub3130 said:

I think it’s a heck of a find. That tractor is in way better shape than when I bought my 966. I’m thinking there may be some wolves in JD green clothing doubting the old girl?. Sure you’re gonna have some leaks here and there when you start using it but those old tractors were way over built.  

From the looks of that 1566 you obviously know what you’re doing!  Post more pics and let us know how things progress.  Make your friend proud!

Soon as we get finished planting I’ll start working on it. It’s been so wet here in Ky we are way behind on planting , did get to plant the last few days. Blew a hydraulic line on the 5488 steering  cylinder late this afternoon . It was a original hose from 1984 so I guess it was time.  Have to fix that in the morning. We plant with. 350HD and. 5488. Our courses  the planter I use doesn’t have the bulk fill tanks 

3CC09F0C-407D-43A7-ABCA-A167B4901CE6.jpeg

2C6DA956-DE0C-48B8-828E-E4326EF800D4.jpeg

729E112C-2841-4147-826E-9B98D4D17420.jpeg

• Like 4

10 hours ago, catman13 said:

those are not the original fenders, the deck plate looks narrow , my guess it had a after market cab, those fenders look like 656 fenders ,. just my 2 cents

Not saying they aren't, but the 656's I've seen all have 2 lights per fender....not none!  SO if they are 656 fenders, then they'd still have the light plate gone!  Did IH ever make in flat top fenders w/o a light plate on them...606??

13 hours ago, catman13 said:

those are not the original fenders, the deck plate looks narrow , my guess it had a after market cab, those fenders look like 656 fenders ,. just my 2 cents

They look like aftermarket fenders to me