966 Sitting 30 years

One of our landlords has this 966 that has been sitting in a shed and not started since 1989 when he quit dairy farming and we started renting his farm. We asked him about it and he said we could try to get it running and to use it if it starts. We took some new fuel filters and planned to drain the tank and put in some new fuel first. We put one battery in it to see if it was stuck and it turned over fine. Just to see if it would start we gave it a shot of either and it fired right up  within 5 seconds or so and ran really good. Really surprised it started on 30 year old diesel. All the tires were low and are holding air after pumping them up.  The plan is to drain all the fluids and  replace all the filters when we get it home and check everything out. It’s rough, all the metal is there  and can be used for odd jobs . Old IH engines are tough..

8DBF59C7-2306-40C6-A5FE-63FA4CE0747A.jpeg

458F4A77-792B-4D43-9271-89CEF2DEA6BD.jpeg

• Like 11
6 minutes ago, stronger800 said:

Rough? That’s a “clean one owner” here in NY.  More pics please

I’ll get some more pics when we get it home. Plan on power washing it and putting the metal back on along with going over it. He put a new seat on it right before he parked it. The seat still has the plastic on it . The tractor has a little over 5000 hours on the tach. It chopped a lot of silage back when he was milking.

Have to say the shelter saved its life in a matter of speaking

13 minutes ago, hagan said:

Have to say the shelter saved its life in a matter of speaking

It did, but there are a lot of people with half empty barns and sheds around  here who leave a lot of their equipment outside year round. We keep everything inside when not in the field. 

• Like 1

Me,I wouldn't want just to use it.Seems borrowed stuff always has a string attached or something will go wrong and you will be overhauling someone else's tratcor.The only that would worry me would be coolant sealant o rings in motor.I bought a 1066 sat for years ran great,little less the 5k hours.I only put 100 hours or so in it.One day checking oil after tractor sat a couple weeks here crankcase filled with coolant. Overhaul.

I would buy it out right or not use it.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If you have a needed purpose for it regularly I'd make him a fair offer and buy it from him. If it's a could do without, I'd leave it sit. If it's never been overhauled with 5000 hours it's just a matter of time till she dumps the antifreeze in the oil. Being well broke in with 5600 hours and sitting 30'years it's going to be a nickle and dime you know what, with leak's developing. Landlord needs to sell it to be fair to himself, otherwise he's going to be on the loosing end. JMO.

6 hours ago, MinnesotaFarmall said:

One owner, always been in the shed....... Lol

I was at one of Ted Everett's auctions there at his place in 1997. They drove a 1086 in the building and the auctioneer said where it came from and it was a one owner. Couple guys in their 30s standing next to me we're buying some tractors for salvage. They bought the 1086 and the one guy looked at me after it sold and said, one owner salvage tractor. We all 3 got a laugh.

5 hours ago, jass1660 said:

What’s with the fenders, no lights. 

Not sure but you can tell it’s never had any on the front of the fenders

• Like 1

I see what the other guys are saying. But its not doing anybody any good sitting there. If he is willing to let you piddle with it and use it i say go for it. Tho i agree if he is willing to part with it, might save some hard feeling if it does have a major break down if you own it at the time.

32 minutes ago, iowaboy1965 said:

I see what the other guys are saying. But its not doing anybody any good sitting there. If he is willing to let you piddle with it and use it i say go for it. Tho i agree if he is willing to part with it, might save some hard feeling if it does have a major break down if you own it at the time.

He said we can have it , he doesn’t need it or want it just sitting there. He would rather see it running and doing something 

• Like 4

Be honest, good save. If it works, great. If not maybe you can put money into it and fix it up as the purchase. Got a free round baler and a New Holland hay rake if I wanted to fix them up. Basically bought it for parts. It can be more economical to fix a free piece of equipment than buy a piece of equipment than fix it up. Only money you're into it is the parts 

You know your landowner.   Some guys are happy to give you something and see it working, will never mention it.   Some guys will want the rent to double "Since I gave you x".    Think/do what would make him happy.

The 66 series is one of the toughest old tractors out there.  That is too nice to just leave sit, but like others I'd be very worried about seals and rust pitting causing a leak soon.  If nothing else, make sure the coolant & filter is changed.

Those fenders don't look quite right.  If you look close, there is no front "lights mount" panel in the fenders-not just the lights.  Either the panel for the lights fell off, or they are aftermarket??

14 minutes ago, Jeff-C-IL said:

You know your landowner.   Some guys are happy to give you something and see it working, will never mention it.   Some guys will want the rent to double "Since I gave you x".    Think/do what would make him happy.

The 66 series is one of the toughest old tractors out there.  That is too nice to just leave sit, but like others I'd be very worried about seals and rust pitting causing a leak soon.  If nothing else, make sure the coolant & filter is changed.

Those fenders don't look quite right.  If you look close, there is no front "lights mount" panel in the fenders-not just the lights.  Either the panel for the lights fell off, or they are aftermarket??

He is a good guy, we have known him forever and have farmed his land for a long time. Those fenders have been on there since the 80’s so I don’t think they are repo but something isn’t right on them .  We will be changing all the fluids and filters, it needs a few other things also.

I almost wondered if the fenders were mounted backwards, but the hand holes appear to be on the front.  Maybe the mounting plate for the lights busted the tack welds and came off.

👏 bravo ,I love these stories 

24 minutes ago, 560Dennis said:

👏 bravo ,I love these stories 

Here is a few pics of our other 66 series(1566)

E00F12BC-AE52-4056-B130-25F9D55ACBED.jpeg

D85905EB-1F95-4550-9F1E-16EF4F587FF1.jpeg

9037512C-7510-413B-89D1-06F8C3F334E3.jpeg

• Like 11

Was this one a barn find too ? 
Can you find me a hydro while you a plucking the hot set ups 

• Haha 1