Sign in to follow this  
red tractor fever

Yesterday

My job took me to Johnson county Iowa. Was pretty much business as usual till I got there. Their was a old car in the way. Poor place to park a non running vehicle in front of my trailer but that seems to go with the territory lately. We tried starting it but failed. So three of us pushed it out of the way. After swapping out the trailers I snapped some pictures. Looks like it was sold new in California and has since migrated to Iowa. Don't know if theirs any Cadillac fans on here? But thought I'd share. Looked interesting to me. Almost forgot, look at the big battery that's in it 😏!

After arriving home I had a OH $Hit I'm getting old moment. The water had stopped draining out of that automatic straight truck shown in the "TRUCK SHOW" thread. And I haven't had a chance yet to try and get it running, so I grabbed a water scoop which is fancy terminology for a gallon jug with the bottom cut out, climbed over the side of the box cause those stock racks make a nice ladder. And began bailing water cause the box is in nice shape. Hate to have water ruin it cause it can't get out. Well after bailing water it was time to get back out. Darn near couldn't. For a few seconds I contemplated calling my wife to get a ladder but I finally won the battle. 15 years ago it was easy peasy. Guess I'm not as flexible as I use to be.😏

0519201222.jpg

0519201222a.jpg

0519201223.jpg

0519201223a.jpg

0519201212.jpg

0519201212a.jpg

0519201212b.jpg

0519201227.jpg

0519201223b.jpg

• Like 2

That’s was a perfect spot for that car, right in the way, there was room, and his car fit, so perfect spot!!👍🏻🤣     
I’m 10 years behind you, but I can already feel what adding 10 more will feel like!! Glad you got out, would have made for a good picture before she let you out!!😬😬🤣

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Farmall1066 said:

That’s was a perfect spot for that car, right in the way, there was room, and his car fit, so perfect spot!!👍🏻🤣     
I’m 10 years behind you, but I can already feel what adding 10 more will feel like!! Glad you got out, would have made for a good picture before she let you out!!😬😬🤣

Yes a picture would've been funny. 👍

My mother-in-law had a '72 or '73 Coupe Deville (2 door hardtop)------near identical to the one pictured.

It had a big 472 (???) cu inch engine and would move on down the road.

Whenever we would go visit-------she would insist that I take it out on the open highway and "blow the cob webs" out for her.  She didn't drive much.

That long nose hood seemed to go on forever------took some getting use to when parking in tight quarters;  but I wuz riding in style!!!!😎😂

DD

• Like 2

BUDDY HAD ONE IN HIGHSCHOOL BUT 4 DOOR. THAT 472 WOULD JUST MELT THE FIRES. TRUE "LEAD-SLED".HAD A TWO-BARREL TRUNK IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. GOOD DRIVE IN MOVIE CAR.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, farmall666 said:

BUDDY HAD ONE IN HIGHSCHOOL BUT 4 DOOR. THAT 472 WOULD JUST MELT THE FIRES. TRUE "LEAD-SLED".HAD A TWO-BARREL TRUNK IF YOU KNOW WHAT I MEAN. GOOD DRIVE IN MOVIE CAR.

Two barrel trunk? Iszat da same as a ten body trunk?

• Like 1

Remarkable condition for the age of that Caddy.

Our first FWD car was a '73 Toronado during '78 gas crisis, followed by another '73, a '72, and a couple '78s, before we started buying smaller FWDs. those 455s could get up and go. not so much with the 403? in the '78.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Dasnake said:

Two barrel trunk? Iszat da same as a ten body trunk?

Thinkin as in keg of beer 

• Like 1

That would sell in an hour here if it were for sale . 

I love the caddy's thanks for sharing if I'm not mistaken in 70 you could get the high compression 500, I looked at putting one in a old pickup I had in highschool but didn't because I would have had the crank machined for a pilot bearing to keep my four speed.

20 minutes ago, 88power said:

I love the caddy's thanks for sharing if I'm not mistaken in 70 you could get the high compression 500, I looked at putting one in a old pickup I had in highschool but didn't because I would have had the crank machined for a pilot bearing to keep my four speed.

yes thinking the 500 engine as well........they were pretty good but wouldnt run nothing like my 455 buick - it would walk off n leave them - friend had a 2 door coupe deville with 500 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lorenzo said:

That would sell in an hour here if it were for sale . 

I better not tell the shop owner that. Sounded like it'd been in the way for awhile. He was ready to just haul it away. But that was his frustration talking. 

2 hours ago, 88power said:

Your welcome. I thought it looked pretty cool. It somewhat resembles the front of a 71 Impala to. That's what I thought it was at first glance.

2 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

yes thinking the 500 engine as well........they were pretty good but wouldnt run nothing like my 455 buick - it would walk off n leave them - friend had a 2 door coupe deville with 500 

I know just what your talking about. My folks bought a 72 Oldsmobile Delta Royale 88 used for my sister to drive. It had the 455 Rocket engine. I heard plenty of stories of my sister's now husband blowing the cobs out. And I remember driving it when I got my permit. So I had a copilot. But I could tell what little I drove it their was little doubt of its capabilities. The transmission was the demise of that car. It pulled a camper before we got it. It got to where it would only shift into second and not drive so we stayed close to home with it. That engine was thirsty in second at 55 mph. But when reverse gave out dad gave up to.

• Like 1

All those old cars from that era are cool in some way. Caddies were huge old tanks then. Mom and dad had a 65 galaxie they bought from moms parents. Got hit on a gravel road by a girl in a 53 chevy. Talk about a near miss! Tore front fender and wrapped the headlight area back toward the door. Next car was a brand new New Yorker. 4 door soft top, no post between windows iirc. First car with ac. Another tank. We drove it till early to mid 80s when the distributor broke a roll pin for the drive gear in the replacement engine. Different time when those cars were new.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

yeah i was young and at the time i wanted a big block with big numbers and that was the cheapest easiest fastest way to do it plus i wanted to pull up at the local hang out on friday and Saturday night and say look what i got under my hood but i ended up going with a 454 that came out of a wreaked truck a guy next door had