Went to look at a spare deck for my 2185 last sat. Well both decks he had were useable but not as good as what ive already got so i passed. Was a small junkyard type place and there were 5 or 6 late 60s, early 70s model cubs and decks there as well. Kinda gave em a quick glance. Only model i recall was a 149 and maybe a 70. Got to thinking would be kinda fun to play with an early cub as ive never been around one.......so i spotted this 123 online. Went to look at it and it followed me home....guy i got it from knew original owner, then his uncle bought it in 70 when the guy moved. Then he ended up with it.  Been sitting since 94 or so he said. Looks like always had pretty decent care. Even got the owners manual.

20200520_181520.jpg

20200520_181510.jpg

20200520_180136.jpg

20200520_180130.jpg

• Like 1

Congrats on getting an IH Cub Cadet.

The 123 was the first model offered with a hydrostatic transmission. 

• Thanks 1

Wow!  That is a nice unmolested Cubbie. Paint looks too good to be original, I think it's a VERY well maintained repaint.  You picked a good one to start your collection!

• Thanks 1

I dont know if paint is original or not but suspect it might be. I can see where somebody touched up  paint  on a weld on the deck lift arms up near the front. There is a tin gaurd to keep belt from being fliped off if you run over tall grass or an obstacle, least i think thats what its for. Any how it must have vibrated loose or cracked as it has been rewelded and spray bomed after from looks of it. 

Engine has a couple paper stickers stuck to side of it still and is black. The manual i got with it shows engine painted same color as frame so im wondering if it was repowered with a new or reman engine at some point? Took the air cleaner off and varnish had oozed out of carb and ran down face and stuck filter

13 hours ago, DOCTOR EVIL said:

Wow!  That is a nice unmolested Cubbie. Paint looks too good to be original, I think it's a VERY well maintained repaint.  You picked a good one to start your collection!

to carb so im looking at a good carb cleaning at very least. Also looking in tank it is dry and kinda rusty looking in there so i may have to come up with a tank.

Havent really had time to do much yet other than blow up the tires and look at a it for a few min. Still in truck under a tarp. Hope to find a spot for it and take apart carb this weekend. But there are a lot of other things waiting too i was reminded last nite. 😳

Replacement engines were painted black.

• Thanks 1

Places like the front edges of the hood, and that little bit of grill casting exposed ahead of the hood normally wore the paint off from trimming around plants, bushes, and trees. Edges of fenders beside the seat where I rested my hands wore the paint thin too. The fenders on wide frames and newer didn't wear so bad.  Lots of guys used the hoods on their Cubbies as a work bench. They sat all kinds of stuff on the bare paint.

Dad's problem was his cordless drill. Bet SON welded up 20 or more holes in the hood of the 70. The center brace pulled the spotwelds. He brazed the holes shut. Sorta. We ended up cutting a hole, cutting a patch and welding it in.  With the Base Coat Clear Coat paint it looks really good!

And there's no bare spots on the foot rests.  The paint all seems to match color and patina well.  The tractor is 53 or 54 years old. Louisville didn't paint them That Well so they looked that nice this long.  Decals were easily available, only took about 2 quarts of paint to repaint one, quart of white, quart of yellow.  I even did a rattle can repaint on my #72 January & Feb. Of '81.  I still think it's a really nice Cub Cadet, well maintained!

• Thanks 1

Hard to tell from pics but sure looks like original paint with a replacement motor!    A little rubbing compound and the rust should come off the hood.  Looks like you found a nice one.  

• Thanks 1

Hood is maybe a lil more surface rusted than pics make it show. They gave it a good power washing before they advertised it. I unloaded it today and took carb off and put it in a small container of fresh gas to soak forn a day or 2 to see what losens up. It does have stickers on the side that say something about short block or some such that makes me think it has been replaced. Also he thought he quit using it in 94, but battery had 95 scratched in top of it. And i noticed the starter/ gen had a reman sticker on it with a 96 date on tag.

Now the bad. The drive/ tow lever was in tow postion but when i tried to flip it up it seemed lose and like it wasnt doing any thing. Before that i was trying all the controls, lubing up choke and throttle cables. Lubed up brake linkage and got under dash and lubed self center mechanism as it was making brake pedal stick down. Totally forgot about tow lever and move hydro lever forward and reverse while lubing self center stuff, trying to see if it worked. Hope i didnt screw something up....😬 cant honestly say if lever worked right before or not. Was in tow postion, or i thought it was, and i didnt mess with it. It pushe kinda hard up to garage but i chalked that up to a sticking brake pedal....rolled real easy before i messed with brakes.

Got the carb apart yesterday and let soak about 18 hours in a can of berrymans carb cleaner i had around. Sure not as good as what used to be available, but seemed like it might have got most of the gunk this time. Spent most of the day on another project i started on, so other than rinsing of the parts and putting them on a rag to finish drying off, i didnt get any more done on it today.