50 series synchronized gears

89vmax

I've posted before about how my 54 is hard to get into gear I've been told its sync gears but it does not grind and if you dont push clutch pedal in it does not grind I'm thinking it's a linkage problem plan on doing all the bushings soon this is range trans

Hi-med-lo is synchro'd. Our 5088 is hard to get in gear when its cold.  I'll grab reverse which isnt synchro'd.  Then over to med. 

If it grinds into reverse,  you've got the classic cold oil problem.  If it drops right into reverse, you might have linkage problems. 

10 hours ago, searcyfarms said:

i guess growing up with 400/560/706/856 i thot they all grind some so didnt think nothing of it

Synchronized gears shouldn't grind.  It isn't real good if they do.  Everything prior to the STS trans was sliding gear, which can grind. 

24 minutes ago, J-Mech said:

Synchronized gears shouldn't grind.  It isn't real good if they do.  Everything prior to the STS trans was sliding gear, which can grind. 

I will have to pay more attention and see if its actually grinding or i just have to release clutch and press back in to rotate things sometimes to get into gear - i cant remember 

2 minutes ago, searcyfarms said:

I will have to pay more attention and see if its actually grinding or i just have to release clutch and press back in to rotate things sometimes to get into gear - i cant remember 

If you are holding pressure on the gear shift lever when you let out on the clutch you can probably get it to grind even if everything is good.  Don't do that though.

8 hours ago, 5088downunder said:

Why did IH bother with a synchro box but not give you a foot throttle so you could use it?

Wonder the same thing myself why the euro's had foot throttles and we couldn't