My young assistant

MTO

I have invested over 2 years with this young man and he is beginning to show promise. 

1. He shows up everyday

2. Doesn`t use booze or drugs.....yet.

3 Has learned the correct place for everything in the shop AND returns them correctly

4. Has become essential to me.

But...

While I was in the hospital, he took his 790 JD backhoe to his friends to lay up a barnstone wall.

His friend was operating the hoe while Hayden was on the ground.

Hayden stumbled and fell into the operating bucket as the bucket was opening.

His left hand was nearly severed off.

Took him to local hospital which stabilized him and shipped him to Childrens in Pittsburgh.

Surgeon struggled to decide between amputation or repair.

They did surgery to repair.

Doc said radius looked like it was sheared off with tree pruners.

Dunno what the future holds yet. 

Yet another journey of a thousand miles. 

My employee of the month(s) is down.

DSC00340.JPG

• Sad 13

Crap! That sucks. Here is hoping he recovers as quickly as he can and is able to have full or as much as possible use in that hand.

Well shi!  When it rains it pours. Hes a kid. I'll bet hes more careful next time. At least he was doing something productive and didnt get drunk and fall out of the back of the pickup while he was supposed to be working. That really sucks he got hurt when it sounds like you needed him the most. I pray quick recovery for his hand and well being and also that you can find a way to get by without him while he is in recovery. Thanks for sharing Mark and great to hear from you again. I was almost giddy when you mentioned a topic about him. To be honest I kinda get a kick out of hearing his stories (not this one)  

• Like 4

Good to have you back up and running MTO?

Sorry to hear about your helper, that is a hard lesson to learn. 30 or 40 years ago the hand would have come off. Now, modern surgical procedures have advanced to where they are doing some miraculous things.

A prayer and best thoughts for a complete recovery.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MTO said:

I have invested over 2 years with this young man and he is beginning to show promise. 

1. He shows up everyday

2. Doesn`t use booze or drugs.....yet.

3 Has learned the correct place for everything in the shop AND returns them correctly

4. Has become essential to me.

But...

While I was in the hospital, he took his 790 JD backhoe to his friends to lay up a barnstone wall.

His friend was operating the hoe while Hayden was on the ground.

Hayden stumbled and fell into the operating bucket as the bucket was opening.

His left hand was nearly severed off.

Took him to local hospital which stabilized him and shipped him to Childrens in Pittsburgh.

Surgeon struggled to decide between amputation or repair.

They did surgery to repair.

Doc said radius looked like it was sheared off with tree pruners.

Dunno what the future holds yet. 

Yet another journey of a thousand miles. 

My employee of the month(s) is down.

DSC00340.JPG

??? Hope he's a good recovery! 

You tell Hayden that there's a lot of people here he doesn't know, likely will never know, and probably will never even meet that are pulling for him and wishing him a COMPLETE recovery from his accident.

• Like 7

32 minutes ago, Atilathehun99 said:

You tell Hayden that there's a lot of people here he doesn't know, likely will never know, and probably will never even meet that are pulling for him and wishing him a COMPLETE recovery from his accident.

I will tell him so.

Thanks to all the well wishers.

In one of our talks after I heard about the accident, he shared something that made me proud.

When he does something unsafe in the shop, I call him dumba$$ and point out what COULD happen if he continues the practice.

He said as soon as he saw his hand hanging off his arm, he had not felt the pain quite yet, he heard me call him dumba$$. 

Oh that boy!!!!!!

• Like 6

Well wishes for him, stuff happens way to fast in an accident.  We've all had that moment when you think I shouldn't be doing this, whoops it's too late.

Damnit! Horrible news. 

There is not much we can say or do to erase the physical pain and mental stresses he will face but please pass the following on to him -

I have a friend named Bill, he lost his left hand (and he was left-handed) when he was eight years old. His first job out of high school was in a machine shop rebuilding engines. We both started flying about the same time, the FAA wanted to limit his license to certain airplanes - he persisted, flew 7 different planes for the examiner and got an un-restricted license. Ended up with Commercial, Instrument and Multi-Engine endorsements....and an aircraft mechanics license. Over 20,000 flight hours, the majority flying pipeline patrol.

My cousin Jeff, in Viet Nam about 8 weeks, was dragging his wounded platoon Sargent into a bunker when a mortar round took off his right hand (he was left-handed). Came back home, went to Wharton Business School, retired very comfortably, now vacations in exotic spots like Easter Island an Antarctica.

My niece Rita, presently living with me, just finished her first year of College on line due to the CV-19 shut-down (a History major with Secondary Education) has a deformed right hand - a ‘sort-of’ index finger and in place of her thumb is a non-working thing that looks like it should be her little finger. She is an incredible artist, bright, outgoing and refuses to be limited by her ‘little hand’.

Tell Hayden to hang in there.

I have tears typing this.

• Like 4

Prayers for Hayden's recovery is a good one and he adapts well to whatever his new abilities are and excels despite this setback

Bad deal. Hope for the best for Hayden.

My uncle lost a hand and forearm in a corn picker in the 60's. Plus he had shrapnel in his leg from WW2 and was discharged with a Purple Heart. He was a tough old bird though. He had a prosthetic arm with a hook and used it for baling hay or whatever he could. And he loved freaking out little kids with it including all 3 of m,y boys. 

My second son now 18 works part time at a service station fixing tires etc. He looks like Hayden after a day at work, a real dirt magnet!

Prayers! Like someone else said, 30 years ago he would have lost that hand. For all the money in the world, I wouldn’t want to lose the advances in modern medicine. 
Glad to see you back here as well. I know we all give you crap ( just for the love in it?) but from what I see you’re the type of person that goes out of your way to help others. A lot of that is obviously rubbing off on Hayden. That’s all you Mark. The responsibilities that you are bestowing on him is and will always be rewarding for you and him. God bless you, and prayers for you as well!??