Jump to content
Wes806

1999 Ford f350

Recommended Posts

Bought a 99 f350 with the 7.3 it has been sitting about 2 1/2 years. Everything worked on this truck before it stopped running on him . (Fuel relay went bad ) got it to running good but I have no dash gauges or speedometer  and the heater motor fan doesn't work. Fuses and relays look to be good and fuses check out. Any ideas on this. As said they all worked good when he parked it. Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a pic of the truck

447.jpeg

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

First thought MICE have helped out with the wiring some where.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
44 minutes ago, Timothy56 said:

First thought MICE have helped out with the wiring some where.

So far I haven't seen any signs of that

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe a master fuse under the hood in the box blown. Neighbor had an 07 that did that. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In-laws had an explorer that the gauges and some other crap was tied in with the ABS fuse, I pulled it one night in a snow storm and lost a lot of stuff, had to put it back in. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Off the top, I think power comes in to the key switch then goes to the fuse box under the dash. Check for power at the appropriate fuse. This allows the engine to start but no gauges etc. Same for the blower, check for power at the motor, the speeds are controlled by a resistor, check for voltage with switch set to high.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Did that year have the GEM in them or did that come later?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If you get discouraged , working on it , I will be a member of your support group. Just saying I’m here for you Wes!

check the air filter box ,it might be full of acorns like my 89 F350 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wes

     These trucks have what Rawleigh99 has asked, above.    They have a (GEM)  Generic Electronic Module, mounted behind the fuse panel that is just ahead of your left knee.   This GEM is a bugger to get out.  You will need to remove the fuse box and the parking brake release lever.    Then with a 1/4"  10mm deep socket remove 2 hex bolts that are in the center of each of the wiring harness connection blocks.    There is "almost" enough room to work on these.

     The GEM has control of these functions, and maybe a lot more:  electric windows, radio, heater, A/C, cruise control, speedometer, interior lights.

     There is a You Tube video that shows what is required to remove the GEM.   I will try to link it here:

 

     I hope this helps you.

GT&T

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, 560Dennis said:

If you get discouraged , working on it , I will be a member of your support group. Just saying I’m here for you Wes!

check the air filter box ,it might be full of acorns like my 89 F350 

Has a K&N air filter system on it.  Having a hard time with this one. All fuses have power to both sides which tell me I should power. Up on checking more in to it . The low beam lights don't work , no 4 way flashers. and had a sanner put on comes up link error. If the GEM was bad Would I still haver power on both sides of fuses?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

DITCH THE K&N!!!!!! lots of diesels have been ruined by them. The high air volume of a boosted diesel literally sucks the oil out of the filter media, leaving you with a crap filter.

Look into the napa 6637 air filter.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like the looks of your truck. Hopefully things get straightened out.
I will second the K&N removal. More air in also means more dirt in. 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

enjoy the old girl............i dont have a k&n but i have aftermarket, got 315K on  mine and it doesnt burn any oil yet knock on wood ..........6.0 though 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Wes806 said:

Has a K&N air filter system on it.  Having a hard time with this one. All fuses have power to both sides which tell me I should power. Up on checking more in to it . The low beam lights don't work , no 4 way flashers. and had a sanner put on comes up link error. If the GEM was bad Would I still haver power on both sides of fuses?

I was starring at electrical schematics till late at night trying For 4 days to figure why the lights  , ugh I will stop there but mice chewed the wiring harness ,also replaced  hazard and directional, switch, ugh 😩 
good luck  but a truck or car that sits is a nightmare , 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Sledgehammer said:

I will second the K&N removal.

A colleague of mine put everything on his truck that promised some percentage of more power. If he added it all up it would have been making at least 100% more😁. I'm pretty happy leaving everything stock myself unless it's to fix an actual flaw. Stock air filters generally do a good job and lots of new vehicles have a clog indicator.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like how the young crowd brag about what they have under the hood. Start out with stock 215 hp, add 100 hp injectors, now 315, cold air intake add 25, now 340 an on & on. Local diesel shop had a "dyno day" more left with their tail between legs than not. Probably still can't figure out why their numbers don't add up. 

Me, I will just leave it stock, an oh......... I have a strong dislike for K&N intake filters. 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The K&N filter will be gone and back to factory. Just want to get everything else working first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had an ignition switch go bad years ago and it did something similar. I think. Oldtimers is catching up. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, New Englander said:

 I'm pretty happy leaving everything stock myself unless it's to fix an actual flaw. Stock air filters generally do a good job and lots of new vehicles have a clog indicator.

 

2 hours ago, CIHTECH said:

Me, I will just leave it stock, an oh......... I have a strong dislike for K&N intake filters. 

I agree. Mine is stock. It has plenty of power the way it is but reliability is my biggest concern. Normally power aids seems to come with more wrench time fixing things from what I have seen. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, CIHTECH said:

I like how the young crowd brag about what they have under the hood. Start out with stock 215 hp, add 100 hp injectors, now 315, cold air intake add 25, now 340 an on & on. Local diesel shop had a "dyno day" more left with their tail between legs than not. Probably still can't figure out why their numbers don't add up. 

Me, I will just leave it stock, an oh......... I have a strong dislike for K&N intake filters. 

Lol.  It’s been the same way since the first model T got an after market product.  Back when I was in high school it was intake manifolds, headers, and even magnets on the fuel line.  They do try

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last one I had like that I just swapped the entire fuse box not hard to do if you have a spare or can borrow one they have issues with the fuse box going bad

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
47 minutes ago, 4x4ford said:

Last one I had like that I just swapped the entire fuse box not hard to do if you have a spare or can borrow one they have issues with the fuse box going bad

I going to try and find one and replace it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/20/2020 at 6:16 AM, CIHTECH said:

I like how the young crowd brag about what they have under the hood. Start out with stock 215 hp, add 100 hp injectors, now 315, cold air intake add 25, now 340 an on & on. Local diesel shop had a "dyno day" more left with their tail between legs than not. Probably still can't figure out why their numbers don't add up. 

Me, I will just leave it stock, an oh......... I have a strong dislike for K&N intake filters. 

I love dyno days, everyone's 800hp trucks leave making 400hp.

 

My 580hp truck puts 422hp to the wheels, nothing impressive these days.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...