Sign in to follow this  
dads706

Moon phases.........

Wife's aunt swore by the phases of the moon.     When to wean calves, when to cut calves, when to plant certain things in the garden, etc etc.  I personally never believed in them, but she swore they helped.  Fog days, I've seen them be pretty darn close. Catydidds not so much.

Anybody here do things by the phases of the moon?

Full moons make me crave captain Morgan with doctor pepper and a bonfire, but thats it

• Like 1

Had a local guy when asked when to plant something or other said “well we used to do it by the weather, but then those fools when and set those bombs off in Japan so you can’t go by that anymore, then we did it by the moon, but those fools went up there and walked all over it so that is no damn good anymore... so I don’t know “

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, vtfireman85 said:

Had a local guy when asked when to plant something or other said “well we used to do it by the weather, but then those fools when and set those bombs off in Japan so you can’t go by that anymore, then we did it by the moon, but those fools went up there and walked all over it so that is no damn good anymore... so I don’t know “

I don't believe they landed on the moon, looked into it alot, don't believe it a bit

My wife is a firm believer in the full moon “nuts come out theory” I don’t have any thoughts really but when I was working and the province had their “welfare day” and the moon was full it was a different world, narcan was just starting to be used on the bad ODs that were inevitable on that day and we saw a fair share being used.

Oh, my wife swears that full moon winds the kids up , I hear it from a lot of teachers. I think there is something to it , if nothing else it’s bright outside and disturbs the sleep cycle. 

3 minutes ago, Rusty shackleford said:

I don't believe they landed on the moon, looked into it alot, don't believe it a bit

Loosen your foil hat, it’s too tight, cutting off circulation. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I have one daughter that is a nurse in the maternity dept of a close by hospital, and one that is a police detective...

Neither of them are big fans of the full moon....

Just sayin.

Mike

11 minutes ago, mikem said:

I have one daughter that is a nurse in the maternity dept of a close by hospital, and one that is a police detective...

Neither of them are big fans of the full moon....

Just sayin.

Mike

That’s where I was also, anytime your dealing with the public ya gotta wonder.

Had a neighbor that insisted he had to plant potatoes on good Friday. I even watched him plow the garden with 4 or 5 inches of snow on it a few years. Dad would make sure he was not planting any garden on good Friday because of the neighbor and we never starved. 

16 hours ago, Rusty shackleford said:

Same here my friend

• Like 1

I heard old timers,  talked about a corn crib ,they tried to tear down that was not used , looking pretty sad . They thought it was going to be easy. Took most of the day. They said they thought that they use to put up building with the phase of the moon ,so might be something to it. 

I have worked for the local county road department for 45+ years. The receptionist usually gives me the calls she can't answer or redirect. Trust me those calls increase significantly around the full moon.

On a cold winter night when the moon is full..... My beagles howl like crazy!

How come you dig a 8" hole put a 6" post in, and don't have enough dirt to fill hole good?  

Next time there is more then enough.  

planting potatoes on the wane? of the moon if planted as moon rises you got to keep hilling them up. Ever dug a hole and not have enough dirt to fill it  or a fence post you did it on the wrong side of moon. I trust the old timers and now i am one

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, edwardporter1 said:

planting potatoes on the wane? of the moon if planted as moon rises you got to keep hilling them up. Ever dug a hole and not have enough dirt to fill it  or a fence post you did it on the wrong side of moon. I trust the old timers and now i am one

We must have typed the same time  lol.  

26 minutes ago, dannyredfan said:

How come you dig a 8" hole put a 6" post in, and don't have enough dirt to fill hole good?  

👽

56 minutes ago, TomH said:

On a cold winter night when the moon is full..... My beagles howl like crazy!

We were in Chicago one time and our KOA was 50 miles west of town so we trained in went to wrigley for a game then dinner and home, shorts and T shirt for me and same for mother, the sky was darkening so grabbed a hack and got back to camp from the station, a light sprinkling started so we turned on the weather channel and were told they were expecting 70 mph winds, thunderstorms and torrential rain.  

After being in and walking our dog it started, our little guy would not leave us alone he wanted up and that was that, the power was down by now anyway so the three of us crawled into the top bunk and stayed there, little guy buried himself between us and wouldn’t move, little guys are funny when things are different.

Most all the old times here believed it made a difference with how much animals bleed when castrated. But not many lead their lives looking for the right day to do those things. With very casual observation you can see steers bleeding much more on castration  so days than others with the work done by the same person. The same thing when weaning calves, sometime much more balling than others.

Every spring there is a week of cold wether after the full moon. Usually if you are going to get a frost in May it will be around a week after the full moon. I prefer to plant during the full moon. I figure by the time the seed comes up we will be past a frost scare.

I weaned calves last winter under the full moon. Never had a snotty nose in any of them this time. Not sure if there is a connection but usually get a couple that need a shot of pen....

2 hours ago, dannyredfan said:

Whats this digging post holes ypu speak of?

• Haha 3

I have noticed that first frost in the fall usually happens around a full moon, if you can get through an early one you usually have a few more weeks of growing season. And yes, from my second job working at the restaurant, a full moon is usually idiot nite, I have no idea why but it sure seems to be a thing...

3 hours ago, DaveinSD said:

I have noticed that first frost in the fall usually happens around a full moon

A possible explanation for that is that there's lots of radiation cooling on a clear night and a clear night makes you notice a full moon. - Just a thought....

I'm kind of shocked that with a seemingly high level of intelligence generally displayed on this site there would be any conspiracy theorists that believe that we didn't land on the moon. I suppose there are a few flat earthers out there too.😪

• Haha 1