I tend to read books anyway but the last few weeks I have cut my screen time due to gwtting headaches so I have been reading a few books.

I thought I'd post what I have been reading and maybe othwrs may like to poat anything they read.

Boris Johnson's book on Churchill. 

1047806991_Screenshot_20200518-201225_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.555701f7f596080151d4908f5df643b9.jpg

Been reading a lot of James Michener lately. Many of them are LONG and go into lots of detail. I find them to be very educational. Also some detective novels, some by Lincoln child and Douglas Preston, the Pendergast series.  David Baldacci's Memory Man series, just need to find a copy of the last one.

Found a couple this weekend at Mom's about Thomas Jefferson, may give them a look.

The Swallows and Amazons series by Arthur Ransome.

Swallows and Amazons

Swallowdale

PeterDuck

Winter Holiday

Coot Club

Pigeon Post

We Didn't Mean To Go To Sea.

Secret Water

The Big Six

Missee Lee

The Picts and the Martyrs

I have yet to read Great Northern?

And the part finished

Coots in the North.

Also read

The Saga of the San Demitrio. About an oil tanker that was part of an Atlantic convoy that was attacked, and consequently abandoned due to fire. Part of the crew drifted in a lifeboat for sometime before coming across the stricken burning tanker and reboarding and nanage to get the engines and pumps going and manage to bring the ship home.

A Night to Remember by Walter Lord about the Titanic.

Discovery of the Lusitania by Robert Ballard.

Operation Mincemeat. About the deception using a dead body to fool the Germans during WW2 about the location of the landings in the Mediterranean 

I just started a  book on the Mauritania

20200510_171425.thumb.jpg.65c984fa3972ca151b2c8b027f26a1ea.jpg

That lot should keep me going for a week or 2.

Edited by Pid 1831
additional information

This is cool. Thank You. Give us your personal opinion too -how much you liked them or didn't.

Enjoyed the Churchill book. Interesting to read and quite entertaining in places.

I did wonder if I was reading about Boria or Churchill at one point.

Swallows and Amazons.

Good well written books about children on boats in English Lake District and also in rivers of east of england.

Set in the 1930s so an interesting travel back through time.

Ok I know it a kids series of books but I havent read them for 30 years  and well gotta read something.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Swallows_and_Amazons_series

I'll  post about the Mauretania tomorrow.

One of the lads in work has borrowed Exploring the Lusitania so I'll  say something anout that qhen it comes back.

I like books about WW1 an 2, but have a hard time if they are too dry because I don't make it very far before falling asleep, ive read all the bond books, all the Longmire books, all the harry potters, I am currently still working on a book about Bill Ruger, its a good read, but can get a little dry at times. my favorite book of all time is "the Great Gatsby" 

• Like 1
14 minutes ago, Big Bud guy said:

You need to get this one if you haven't already.  One of my favorites of all time.  

02B0042C-96A2-46E8-A18D-6AB3B017CA81.jpeg

this is one of my favorites, sorry I can't do a screenshot on my computer..or don't know how http://nealbascomb.com/books-bascomb/the-winter-fortress/

Grand Canyon Country, by Fishbein

On 5/19/2020 at 7:27 AM, DT Fan said:

Been reading a lot of James Michener lately. Many of them are LONG and go into lots of detail. I find them to be very educational. Also some detective novels, some by Lincoln child and Douglas Preston, the Pendergast series.  David Baldacci's Memory Man series, just need to find a copy of the last one.

Found a couple this weekend at Mom's about Thomas Jefferson, may give them a look.

I'm with you with  Michener's    books...…..all the American  ones are a great read...….virtually history books...with "Centennial "   my favourite …...I have a few years on the clock...but have read that book five times......enjoyed it  immensely   each time,...….might just go get     "Chesapeake" ...and get stuck into that one       ……~~:)

Mike

8 hours ago, mike newman said:

I'm with you with  Michener's    books...…..all the American  ones are a great read...….virtually history books...with "Centennial "   my favourite …...I have a few years on the clock...but have read that book five times......enjoyed it  immensely   each time,...….might just go get     "Chesapeake" ...and get stuck into that one       ……~~:)

Mike

Mike, Chesapeake is another great one. You'll love the history aspect of it. I've only read Centennial once, so far, it is my favorite. Will read again at some point. Poland, Hawaii, Space, Alaska, all good plus several others. Journey is one related to Alaska, in the back of the book he explains how it was going to be a chapter in Alaska but didn't want to add 300 pages to an already near 1000 page book! That one will make you appreciate how easy life today is! 

I've read most of John Grisham's stuff, not a bad one in the bunch. James Rollins, Steve Berry, and Dan Brown all great writers too. When younger I read a lot of science books, learned a lot there too. Friend of mine commented last weekend about when he found me reading a physics book at work during lunch. I didn't take it in high-school and that was the only way to learn it. A lot of it stayed with me, found it interesting though there were some pretty dry spots.

10 hours ago, DaveinSD said:

If you liked Castles of Steel, you also need to read Dreadnaught, which actually proceeds it chronologically. 

I have that one too.  I like it but just warning there are some dry spots in it 

E2383480-A787-46E5-B5B3-1B40DC71A909.jpeg

• 1 month later...

Any book by Byron Farwell is a good read, my favorite of his is "The Great War in Africa"

John Grisham's books are good reads, I like the lawyer humor in them, the Camino Real, which now seems to be a series, makes me fear that he is becoming another Tom Clancy, with the books becoming repetitive.

Books by Mitchner, or Stephen King, would be best said in one hundred words, instead of the thousands they both use to get the point across.

Frederick Forsythe books were always good, as were books by Joseph Wambaugh.

Going through “ blue moon “ by lee child right now. Enjoy jack reacher.

Big magazine fan, true west, Wild West, and like keeping up on the diesel power rags.

And I still receive/read the newspaper everyday.

Patrick O'brian's 18th century naval fiction.  21 of them beginning with Master and Commander. They used several of the books together to make the basis for the movie.  Also C.S. Forester and the "Hornblower" series. Same time period, same British navy.  And, any Zane Grey

22 minutes ago, yellowrosefarm said:

Patrick O'brian's 18th century naval fiction.  21 of them beginning with Master and Commander. They used several of the books together to make the basis for the movie.  Also C.S. Forester and the "Hornblower" series. Same time period, same British navy.  And, any Zane Grey

Master and Commander, what a great movie, I was always looking forward to a sequel, especially the young midshipman who lost his arm, and then excelled in battle, one officer I was always in awe of was Nelson, the man and the legend and the hero.

Civil War books are my favourite with Logging a second choice. While reading Civil War accounts I quite often put myself in the scene and wonder why they did that, I would have done it differently. Oh hind sight is so good isn't it.

John Jakes wrote some really good novels of early American history. There are 8 in 'The Kent family chronicles'. Going to start on North and South tomorrow.

Michael Crichton wrote several good ones too. Would like to find a copy of 'The Andromeda Strain'.

Dana Fuller Ross's Wagons West series were pretty entertaining.

On 5/18/2020 at 2:13 PM, Pid 1831 said:

I tend to read books anyway but the last few weeks I have cut my screen time due to gwtting headaches so I have been reading a few books.

I thought I'd post what I have been reading and maybe othwrs may like to poat anything they read.

Boris Johnson's book on Churchill. 

1047806991_Screenshot_20200518-201225_AmazonShopping.thumb.jpg.555701f7f596080151d4908f5df643b9.jpg

Have someone reset the refresh rate on your screen. That will do away with the computer headaches.