Sign in to follow this  
Reichow7120

Hydraulic hose crimpers

Does anyone know anything about the hydraulic hose crimper in the picture i have here?  Staying at home with nothing to do had me looking at stuff online for something to do and i came across this hydraulic hose crimper. Thought " if it works it would be nice to have to fix and make our own hydraulic hoses and not be into it a fortune. The stuff you'd find at a dealer the crimper alone is between 1500 and over 2000 dollars. Not enough work to make that type of investment by the time you invest in hose ends and hose. But since has been a pain part wise all spring it has me thinking about ways to have stuff like this on hand to fix common stuff. 

Tell me if im full of crap thinking about this if i am.

s-l400-2.jpg

I would think the biggest issue would be then proprietary nature of hose fittings. Any experience I’ve had it seems the crimper has to match the brand of fitting. If that is an off brand crimper where do you get hose fittings and do you keep a stock of any size and kind you might need? 

Sounds convenient on one hand but might become a rabbit hole quickly on the other hand. 

• Like 2

We rent a portable hose maker from a local hydraulic company ,it is a parker brand and uses the same dies as his mounted press. I think he told me it cost about 600 dollars, it is really nice on hard to get to hoses. We will cut the bad spot out and splice an end on, just to keep going. We thought about buying our own but with the cost of all the different fittings and hoses we decided against it.

51 minutes ago, from H to 80 said:

We rent a portable hose maker from a local hydraulic company ,it is a parker brand and uses the same dies as his mounted press. I think he told me it cost about 600 dollars, it is really nice on hard to get to hoses. We will cut the bad spot out and splice an end on, just to keep going. We thought about buying our own but with the cost of all the different fittings and hoses we decided against it.

I'll bet you need to add a 2 in front of that 600 if it's like this one. They make a pump up one a little cheaper but if you could buy a parker hose crimper for 600 I'd have one. My bil uses this one and it's perfect for service calls. I've been down this exact road before and didnt buy one. I am all about keeping everything I need. It would cost you 4-5k to have mostly what you need. The cheapest thing you could probably do is go to your local farm supply store. Mine sells hoses In all lengths from 1-10'. Recently they switched to better hose than before and it's all pipe thread. Then above you can buy adapters to jic or whatever. They have a good selection to help you out. I bought a handful of hoses and different adapters. Spent 500 or more but I'm confident I can make something happen if I need to. Probably just as equipped as if I had bought hose crimper because of the ends being so high. 

Screenshot_20200518-082545_Samsung Internet.jpg

52 minutes ago, Missouri Mule said:

I'll bet you need to add a 2 in front of that 600 if it's like this one. They make a pump up one a little cheaper but if you could buy a parker hose crimper for 600 I'd have one. My bil uses this one and it's perfect for service calls. I've been down this exact road before and didnt buy one. I am all about keeping everything I need. It would cost you 4-5k to have mostly what you need. The cheapest thing you could probably do is go to your local farm supply store. Mine sells hoses In all lengths from 1-10'. Recently they switched to better hose than before and it's all pipe thread. Then above you can buy adapters to jic or whatever. They have a good selection to help you out. I bought a handful of hoses and different adapters. Spent 500 or more but I'm confident I can make something happen if I need to. Probably just as equipped as if I had bought hose crimper because of the ends being so high. 

Screenshot_20200518-082545_Samsung Internet.jpg

Call me crazy but that's what I did on the Toyota post pounder it's all hoses with pipe thread except the main inch dia. hammer hose 

That way wherever I am I can got to the nearest farmstore and get the hose for under 30 bucks...vs the custom hose. Little more work in the short term but easier in the long run....

• Like 1

I keep adapters to put NPT to about anything, and keep a few npt hoses of different lengths, can get by with that nearly all the time.  Discount hydraulic hose is close enough to me that I order the exact one(They have a great, easy to use website) and replace it when it comes the next day.  To have a crimper here isn't the issue, having all the fitting is, and that is where the money is.  Unless you have a ton to spend and have it possibly sit on the shelf for years before ever needing it, it doesn't make a ton of sense for most, me included.  

It probably is a dumb idea. I just saw it and thought the price was reasonable compared to the industrial version. Yeah I know the hardware is a sticking point but i know around here if i was worth it it'd get used. We've blown 3 hydraulic lines on stuff already this year and with all the hoses on our stuff it seems like we have to replace between 3 to 6 a year on various things. I have one blown on the chisel plow at the moment that controls the raise and lower the trash disc gangs. Haven't fixed it yet as we are done with it at the moment and getting one mended is a pain around here at the moment.

Have a dayco and Kwik crimp machine. Like said before hose ends are getting specific to brands now. But nothing like having your own machine to crimp ends on with. Kind of like a tire machine doesn’t take long to pay for itself.

• Like 1

You have to be careful with just cutting of an end and putting on somebody else’s fittings. Not all brands interchange with each other. Especially with no name fittings. Hose and fittings are where all the money is. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, smfarms said:

You have to be careful with just cutting of an end and putting on somebody else’s fittings. Not all brands interchange with each other. Especially with no name fittings. Hose and fittings are where all the money is. 

Yup, that is the big issue and for me makes it not worth it. 

20 yrs ago there were 3 guys within 5 mile of me that could make their own hose, today none. They gave it up cause $ to keep inventory. A fert/chem/seed dealer 11 mile away has made hose for 40 yrs. Probly 25 yrs ago they also became a distributer- warehouse for a fitting co. Don't ever recall them not having in stock what I needed.

I grew up with a Weatherhead hose crimper and a huge cabinet of fittings.

Sadly it was sold when we auctioned off some excess equipment.  I do miss it sometimes.

But the  Discount Hydraulic Hose website has been great for making up hoses and getting them to me quickly.  I have also started ordering the same style of hose from them each time AND reusable hose fittings.  Again it is more expensive up front, but not having to buy the fittings again should be helpful down the road.

I did manage to barter for a hose crimper last  year from a farmer who had an extra.  Thanks Orin!!

So the consensus for the most part is bad idea?

Not if it uses a common style of fitting you can get easily. I also get all mine from discount hydraulic hose. I couldn’t be without a crimper now that I’ve had one 

Find a used one I bought my dealers old one Parker brand with the cutter 1000’of 1/4- 3/4 hose and couple hundred fittings for 1500$ you can use anybody’s fittings on any hose as long as you crimp it down to specs 

We’ve floated the idea around several times and usually end up with the same result. For us it’s a bit cost prohibitive. The only advantage is being able to get going quicker and sometimes that does pay off. We have 3 ag dealers with similar stock of fittings 12 miles away and 2 very good specialized hyd shops 40 miles away. We tried to buy a crumpet from the one show as the one small local coop and returned a almost new machine to them.  They had a deal where they bought all their fittings and they supplied tencrimoer free of charge. 

For us we have so many different sized hoses and fittings that we’d need at least 4-5000 dollars in fittings to make most hoses when we need to. Add that onto a 4,000 crimped and it gets doesn’t quick.  Step up, down, jic, sae, orfs, orb, and of course npt. The flange fittings on the hoe and loader would definitely be out of reach for us. 

For quick repairs you can always use those reusable thread on fittings , then change out the hose when you are done.

• Like 1