Sign in to follow this  
augercreek

PLASMA CUTTERS

Are any of the plasma cutters on e-bay any good? I'm thinking of getting one.

HyperTherm, only way to go.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Finney said:

X2

Hypertherm for a burn table...............Thermal-Dynamics if free hand cutting.  Have ran both, for jobs in the crap and covered in crap the T-D works better in my experiences of using both for years.

I have a hypertherm, good machine

Hypertherm.  Was using my G1000 Series 3 Saturday to cut the deck out of a bush hog for replating.  Rusty interrupted cut.  Make sure whatever you get has a pilot arc for interupted cuts like expanded mesh or rusted bush hog decks!

• Like 1

Hypertherm. From a service standpoint Hypertherm is much easier to deal with.

4 hours ago, Finney said:

X3.  Hypertherm 85 probably 9 years old.  We got it right after that model first came out.    Not a moments trouble.

Early on I had a Miller,   Then bought a Hypertherm 45, what an upgrade that was.  Now I have a Hypertherm 85.  Excellent machine, excellent USA employee owned company    And the product support could not be better.       I got a call from the plant after the purchase to make sure the machine was up and running, then they send a "welcome package" of consumables also. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, gonzo 1066 said:

Early on I had a Miller

My first one was a Miller................What a POS.  

4 minutes ago, TP from Central PA said:

My first one was a Miller................What a POS.  

Some of the Miller Spectrum's were rebadged Hypertherm's.

4 hours ago, TP from Central PA said:

Hypertherm for a burn table...............Thermal-Dynamics if free hand cutting.  Have ran both, for jobs in the crap and covered in crap the T-D works better in my experiences of using both for years.

The Thremal Dynamics they brought me to demonstrate would not run off welding machine. it did not like dirty power. 

Jim Colt from Hypertherm is a great guy and offers great customer service.

We have. Hypertherm powermax 45xp

its a really nice machine, us made and capable of way more than the operators 

2 hours ago, Finney said:

The Thremal Dynamics they brought me to demonstrate would not run off welding machine. it did not like dirty power. 

Don't know on that, shop power for all of them here.  

Be careful when you finally decide on the product.  By local metal/fab/ shop had a hypertherm on an X/Y-Z table complete with all the trimmings. After 2 years the Boss Lady ended up laying off the one employee that was assigned to the Plasma adventure and cleared the machine from her shop. BECAUSE she never made enough to pay the employees salary much less make a business profit. They went back to oxy/set-random cutting.  AND farming out any plasma jobs to another someone else

1 hour ago, TP from Central PA said:

Don't know on that, shop power for all of them here.  

Sometime I have to run them off the welders, it would not power up.

I have a miller extreme.  110/220 unit great for 1/4”    I have had good luck with it.       Personal use.   If I was a shop probably hypertherm 

10 minutes ago, Finney said:

Sometime I have to run them off the welders, it would not power up.

Wonder if they are more fussy on Hz?  First think I did when I got the Cutmaster 102 was tear it apart and looked inside, always heard storys that they weren't up to the same standards as a Hypertherm, it looked well put together with clean wiring from my eye.  I haven't had any issues with it, and I think it works better for scrap than the Hypertherms at previous employers.  I was going to go with a hypertherm, but after talking to people who junk, they thought the T-D worked better too, so I went that route and got a good deal on the 102.  With that said, the cut quailty isn't as good as a Hypertherm and people are probably right not to use a T-D on a burn table.  Either way, only one that was a disappointment was the Miller I had...............625 Spectrum, not the extreme, the older big box.................Waste of good money, smoked a board with low use and wasn't worth fixing.  I gave it to the guy who bought my old Dial-arc.

Hypertherm !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well case closed it seems.

One night I saw Jesse James lay a sheet of thin gage steel across his legs and with a sweep of his hand it fell in two pieces. He said something about "Plasma Cutters" and I was hooked! That was in 2002/2003. No more saber sawing, abrasive cut off wheels, ragged torch cuts requiring lots of grinding. I had to have one!

I can't even remember what the project was, went to the welding supply shop,  wanted to buy a Miller, salesman said, "You will be happier with the HyperTherm." Tossed it in the truck, went and picked up the steel, then home and played with the Plasma cutter.  Last big project I did, Just because I could was cut up a clothes washer so I could toss it in the trash bin every week for a month instead of paying to scrap it.  I can't remember the model number, 40 amp machine, cuts 1/4" steel at a pretty good rate, above 3/8" gets a little slow. Spec's say Sever capacity 7/8".  It's the right tool for lots of jobs but not all.  I'd like to have it on a small plasma table. Then I'd want a 60 amp machine!

SON wanted to make ladder bars for the rear axle on his Lightning,  kits with all the parts already cut were cheap compared to "ready to install welded bars". He bought the steel for mounting plates,  was going to cut them out free hand, I tried to help him use straight edges to guide the torch, but he ignorred everything I said, and I walked away, and they looked like crap. And they're still sitting in a corner of the shop with some of his other projects waiting to be scrapped. Waste of perfectly good steel.

Jesse James notwithstanding, it is hard to cut a smooth line with them freehand.  Every little jiggle is translated into the cut.  Straight edges and patterns help a lot 

• Like 1