Sign in to follow this  
sandhiller

Letter to a distracted driver

I saw you come over a hill and around a curve. When you exited the curve, you didn't correct your steering which brought you across the yellow line.

By the time you were completely in my lane, I had right side rubber in the grass.

What you didn't know was I was as far over as I was going to get. Another few feet and the ditch would have sucked me in.  I would have wrecked the truck for sure.

By the time your tires crossed my white line, I was on the brakes and braced for impact. It was that close.

Maybe you hit my rumble strip maybe a divine hand reached down and pushed you back over but we missed.

It took me a few miles to get my heart rate down. It was very close. 

I gave thanks it did not end as bad as it could have. I hope you made it home safe. I am unloading now and will make it home safe.

Thank you Lord.

I want this to be a positive thread. Those of you with young driver's at home. Hug them and remind them to stay off the phone when driving. If they drop something, wait till it's safe to pick it up, pay attention and respect the drive. They will say "I know, I know". Mine did. You can't remind them enough.

It would break my heart to have any one of you come on here and tell your RPF friends that you lost a child to an auto accident.

Stay safe out there, please.

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Confused 1

Good issue, glad you were missed, it can't be stressed enough, but except for pricey tickets there is no real reason to drop the phone, treat it exactly like a dui, lose your licence first offence, along with penalties that befit the offence, I've been there but on a bike, lucky for you, lucky and paying attention, take care.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Been there, done that.

Couple of years ago i was coming back from dumping a load of beans and I was coming up on a crossroads, a red Pontiac Grand AM was coming up on the intersection awful fast i thought, I got on the brakes thinking "He's not going to stop " Guess what, I was partially right. He realized there was a stop sign and slammed on the brakes but forward momentum carried him out into the intersection before he was stopped. 2 young guys in the car. Good thing I saw the car back and was already on the brakes or otherwise I would have T Boned him. I still remember how wide his eyes were looking at the front of my truck after we were both stopped. Like "Holy F--- i almost died " look. Definitely has stuck with me.

• Like 2

Had it happen twice in the same day a couple of years ago. These were not kids though. Men in their 30s maybe early 40s. Had my hay trailer. Ist one I was as far over as I could get without turning everything over. I was braced. Had it over enough we weren't going to hit head on but thought he was gonna hit right behind my door. He swerved at the last minute.  In the heat of the moment he best be glad I had the trailer on. Cause I wanted to whip it around, drag him out of his truck and have a discussion with him. 2nd guy of the day was trying to text. Holding his phone up in the air with one hand and steering with the other. Eyes were on his phone though. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

Drive in a big city, there’s very few paying attention!! All our grain, and customers grain goes to the river in St.  Paul, there are days I wonder why I drive truck?!  

Last fall I actually had another truck come racing up beside me in bumper to bumper traffic and started merging in ahead of me, he forgot he was pulling a trailer, the trailer got so close, it spun my driver side mirror forward, trailer tires tore lug nut covers off my steer tire, and pulled my bumper out on a 45 degree angle!! That bumper was 3 months old! There’s still rubber from his trailer tires on my hood that I cannot get off, I’m not sure how my hood stayed intact???!!!  

Im glad you avoided an accident sandhiller!!! But unfortunately, there’s a lot of people in their own little bubble of, nothing will happen to me, and don’t pay any attention!!! It’s really sad!!

• Like 3

I had a couple of close calls in the past couple of years, the first one was I was going up over the overpass when a car was coming over the top and didn’t realize there was a lineup of cars stopped waiting for the light, instead of Rear ending the last car in the lineup he swerved right into my lane, I pulled over as tight as I could get to the guard rail and there was just enough space for him to squeeze between me and the stopped cars!

Couple of months ago coming home From delivering a load of hay there was a four axle loaded wood chip trailer That came around a slight curve and started to head straight towards me in my lane, I was pulling off onto the shoulder and I was about to lay on the airhorn When we were about 100 feet apart when he realized he was in my lane, I’m sure that would be one heck of a mess if we had of impacted head on!
it was one of my many lucky days!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Dasnake said:

Good issue, glad you were missed, it can't be stressed enough, but except for pricey tickets there is no real reason to drop the phone, treat it exactly like a dui, lose your licence first offence, along with penalties that befit the offence, I've been there but on a bike, lucky for you, lucky and paying attention, take care.

I agree there should be consequences . We live down the road from the local college and these youngsters are constantly in the ditch and running through our fences while on there phones. When i  asked the highway patrol why they didn't charge them with something and he told me without a judges order he could not search there phone. I don't like fixing fence, but the problem is Missouri has laws against texting and driving but no one inforces them. Looking at your phone while driving is just as dangerous as DUI and maybe worse.

• Like 2

Had an accident just down the highway. Heavy fog, over tired semi driver nodded out, crossed the center line and hit a 16 year old driving to school. So it happens both ways. No, the driver wasn't illegal on hours. But he'd been off for the weekend and hadn't had enough sleep before going back on duty. Only 3 or 4 hours.

So it goes both ways. What matters is that everyone be careful!

Rick

• Like 2

Twice this has happened to me.  Once a guy passed a whole string of cars on a curve. I had to pull completely off the hiway with pickup. I saw him about 1/4 mile ahead so got slowed down and pulled over. Another time I was looking at cows in our pasture that borders curve on hiway. A couple motorcycles came around curve and kept going. About a minute later 3rd motorcycle came around curve way to fast he couldn’t keep in his lane. He saw me and I saw him. I was only doing about 30 mph he was going at least 70. I just kept pulling over again I was off hiway completely in ditch. The look on his eyes when he knew he was in bad trouble was very eerie. The guy had the motorcycle leaned as far as he could and still drifted halfway into my lane. I just hate to think what would have happened both times if I wasn’t driving slow.

• Like 1

Over a couple million miles i have seen just about everything. It is not just one age group. It is not just the fairer sex. It is not just 4 wheelers. It is all across the board. Before the cell phones in the face it was Mapquest maps in the face....and people finishing dressing....and reading the morning paper....and fixing hair in the mirror....and who knows what else. 

Gotta stay on your toes all the time and watch for the others because they ain't watching you. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, oldtanker said:

So it goes both ways. What matters is that everyone be careful!

Rick

Sure does Rick....

Coming home one Sunday night...late......only had three hundred yards to go and was going to leave the new Mack at a friends place......Had a D6  9U on the back.....I was listening to a tape from my good Mate in Utah....about the most recent hunting season , over there......Had I been in the old International  6x4. would have been down three or four gears...went into the corner...waaay to fast...….I survived.....just …..

Mike

post-157-1223753672.jpg

• Sad 2

Good Lord, Mike!  He really was looking out for you in that one!

Posted (edited)

opps

Rick

Edited by oldtanker

Opps again

Rick

Opps

Rick

Image may contain: meme, possible text that says 'I DON'T ALWAYS DO YOGA BUT WHEN I DO, I PAWS AND REFLECT'

Rick

Bad day, sorry.

Rick

4 minutes ago, oldtanker said:

Image may contain: meme, possible text that says 'Feeling like a bad parent? Quokkas toss their babies at so they can escape'

Rick

Mother hamsters will eat their babies if they feel threatened. A survival strategy, they can always have more babies so save the energy.

1 hour ago, oldtanker said:

Bad day, sorry.

Rick

See what happens when yur distracted, bloody living breathing proof!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

Just now, Dasnake said:

See what happens when yur distracted, bloody living breathing proof!!!!!!!!!!

Mostly over tired, Insomnia really been kicking in the last few days.

Rick 

12 minutes ago, oldtanker said:

Mostly over tired, Insomnia really been kicking in the last few days.

Rick 

I’m there also, especially when the RA acts up. Good luck.

Glad nothing but nerves bouncing is all that happened to you sandhiller. Good luck and stay safe. 

• Thanks 1