12 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Spraying for bugs or fungicides? South of here about 150 miles there’s some irrigated land that they grow potatoes on but nothing close to home at all.

On a side note the potatoes in our garden are growing like crazy. Been eating fresh ones for about 3 weeks now.  The tops on them are huge this year. 

Both. June was a cool wet month , Late Blight spores are in the area.

• Like 1
  • Replies 363
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well finally got some more done. Just about half done now. Wee little bit of wheat to do and we’ll be at the half way point.  Technically speaking though I’m all done lol.  Finished up the last of the

42 year old 1460 in 215 bu corn....

Soybeans here in north central Kansas Looking good 

Posted Images

hot weather here crops still holding the grass in my yard on the other hand is burning up quite quick which is surprising, some hail did happen friday night north west of here kicked the crop down abit but should regain over time here,

i seen your slugs on the 306 page there was wondering what they are up to in barley ive never seen them, what are thrips?

Thrips are a little new to me as well. I was scouting one field for them a few years ago and found some but not enough to spray. They’re a tiny insect that will crawl back into the stem where the head comes out. They’ll suck the juices out and kill the head. Ive found them in the head too deep down inside. I’ve never seen the slugs before. Didn’t know what they were for sure when I saw them. Thought they looked like snails in a way and I guess I was halfway correct. Another fellow posted some pics of slugs in his canola from last year. They did a lot of damage to the leaves by the looks of it. Now he said they’re in his barley this year again on that same field. 

I thought the neighbors cows had gotten out again when I saw this. Upon further review, think it's those darned masked bandits! No cow poop to be seen, the way the ears were eaten leads me to believe it was coons. I can't believe how much corn they knocked down! They better not let me see them!

IMG_0537.JPG

On 7/28/2020 at 12:19 PM, DT Fan said:

I thought the neighbors cows had gotten out again when I saw this. Upon further review, think it's those darned masked bandits! No cow poop to be seen, the way the ears were eaten leads me to believe it was coons. I can't believe how much corn they knocked down! They better not let me see them!

IMG_0537.JPG

They can sure do a lot of damage in a short time. They raided our patch last year but it was already basically mature and no longer good for eating.  I see tracks around here I asionally but don’t usually see them. The one I did see is no longer with us. 

Things are coming along nicely here crop wise. Maybe a bit too fast actually. We've been getting moisture al along now this summer too. Got another half inch yesterday. Good for the crops, not so much for haying lol

Here's our flax from a week ago. Was past yesterday and it was solid blue now but forgot to snap a picture lol. Hay crops are back to what we are used to. Were on the heaviest field now. Should go 5 bale an acre

Snapchat-1681856267.thumb.jpg.f8560959ea7dc8d8912402b7006ed34f.jpg

Snapchat-501327366.thumb.jpg.53dc492efc6f9581ab5f3dc201d5a635.jpg

Snapchat-1230328333.thumb.jpg.50d0006c3936828c122e05596a285014.jpg

Snapchat-1696400210.thumb.jpg.7307d04b9f6425c914e596c8aca4de26.jpg

On 8/1/2020 at 7:11 AM, db1486 said:

Things are coming along nicely here crop wise. Maybe a bit too fast actually. We've been getting moisture al along now this summer too. Got another half inch yesterday. Good for the crops, not so much for haying lol

Here's our flax from a week ago. Was past yesterday and it was solid blue now but forgot to snap a picture lol. Hay crops are back to what we are used to. Were on the heaviest field now. Should go 5 bale an acre

Snapchat-1681856267.thumb.jpg.f8560959ea7dc8d8912402b7006ed34f.jpg

Snapchat-501327366.thumb.jpg.53dc492efc6f9581ab5f3dc201d5a635.jpg

Snapchat-1230328333.thumb.jpg.50d0006c3936828c122e05596a285014.jpg

Snapchat-1696400210.thumb.jpg.7307d04b9f6425c914e596c8aca4de26.jpg

Sounds like you’ll be spending more time tying bales them bailing lol. Not a bad problem though. Kind of fun but kind of repetitive too when you can only go a little ways and you have to stop and wait again. Never made a bale of hay in my life so it’s all foreign to me to a certain degree lol.  Flax is looking nice. I haven’t seen any around here this year. Seems to be less and less every year.  Conditions haven’t exactly been favourable for it so that doesn’t help. 

No rain here now for almost 2 weeks and surprisingly we’re getting dry now. Some of the canola is showing signs of stress in spots.  A nice half inch soaked rain would be perfect about now. As long as it knows when to quit again at least lol. 

Decided to go back out and check my barley tonight again. this heat seems to have cut slug population back some anyways.  Found a few but nothing like before. Barley seems to be filling out good and if it keeps filling should be a pretty decent crop.  

Canola has almost lost its bloom now. Fields are starting to get more green. No sign of army worms yet. Hopefully they’re not a issue this year. 

Got the swather out a few days ago and all set up again. Managed to pinch a hyd line a little bit with the center tilt cylinder though. When I started the swather up the header shifted a bit up and the cylinder happened to catch a line as it moved. Didn’t hurt it bad but still not great. Got the combines out this afternoon and took the header off the ih. Have to repair the rock trap beater bearing. It went out at the end of last fall. Bad enough it lost all the balls. Thinking I’ll have to pull the feederhoise and go through it at the same time.  Tempted to put a new front drum in it. The chains worn into it pretty bad. Last time I priced it I think it was around 800. They wanted 200 for the bands to repair the drum so I didn’t really think that was worth it either. They weren’t even sure that came with 3 as we have the 3 strand feeder chain. 

3DAAAA72-B019-46DE-91C8-774405A92347.jpeg

7C1CF034-1815-4697-9A23-B8CEEC7046A9.jpeg

80D6FD30-8D44-4DB7-BD16-D9D603409593.jpeg

8B8CAE05-C056-4B83-BAC7-F0DBCF3F6CEF.jpeg

52FF4B07-0F28-4F1D-AE53-53739F36EDD1.jpeg

6C2F4C34-1E4C-45EF-8586-335213B04E3C.jpeg

5CB917ED-C37E-458C-B29B-CF12B9EDED03.jpeg

• Like 1

ya the crops are well on there way the peas are in the filling stage and looking good everything is slowly comin along,

the swather can be abit of a chore to put back together i usually get my neighbor to come give me a hand lining it up, as for the feedhouse on there i did my 2388 i left the header on and took the feedhouse off if i were to do it again id chain the feeder house to a power pole or front end loader it was a pickle to get it back lines up and bolts back in, i put an A&I feeder chain and floor in dads 2188 and seemed to hold up well last year plus gives you lots of time to do some vanes inside aswell as the rock trap beater bars, better get to it poorfarmer your about to be more poor haha

10 hours ago, wheatking said:

ya the crops are well on there way the peas are in the filling stage and looking good everything is slowly comin along,

the swather can be abit of a chore to put back together i usually get my neighbor to come give me a hand lining it up, as for the feedhouse on there i did my 2388 i left the header on and took the feedhouse off if i were to do it again id chain the feeder house to a power pole or front end loader it was a pickle to get it back lines up and bolts back in, i put an A&I feeder chain and floor in dads 2188 and seemed to hold up well last year plus gives you lots of time to do some vanes inside aswell as the rock trap beater bars, better get to it poorfarmer your about to be more poor haha

I always get nervous with that big glass window only a few inches away from the header. I have visions of things moving the wrong way and me picking up the pieces lol. 

Feeder chain isn’t that old on ours I don’t think and the floor is good. Must’ve been done at some time or another before we got it as it does have quite a few hours on it. I’m sure I’ll find more to repair though as I get into it. You know all to well how those projects go lol. And yup you got the poorer part right 😂😂

On 8/2/2020 at 11:12 PM, poor farmer/logger said:

Sounds like you’ll be spending more time tying bales them bailing lol. Not a bad problem though. Kind of fun but kind of repetitive too when you can only go a little ways and you have to stop and wait again. Never made a bale of hay in my life so it’s all foreign to me to a certain degree lol.  Flax is looking nice. I haven’t seen any around here this year. Seems to be less and less every year.  Conditions haven’t exactly been favourable for it so that doesn’t help. 

No rain here now for almost 2 weeks and surprisingly we’re getting dry now. Some of the canola is showing signs of stress in spots.  A nice half inch soaked rain would be perfect about now. As long as it knows when to quit again at least lol. 

I would rather stop every minute to tie a bale then run up and down swaths trying to hit the full line. That field in the pics went 5 bale an acre. I'll take it. The ol 6.5 is gonna have a few more bales to haul back home this year 😂

Flax is looking very nice. Too bad it's all ruts from spraying but still looks good. Theres a few more fields of flax around but not like 10 years ago. Odd though as seed was hard to get in spring

3 hours ago, db1486 said:

I would rather stop every minute to tie a bale then run up and down swaths trying to hit the full line. That field in the pics went 5 bale an acre. I'll take it. The ol 6.5 is gonna have a few more bales to haul back home this year 😂

Flax is looking very nice. Too bad it's all ruts from spraying but still looks good. Theres a few more fields of flax around but not like 10 years ago. Odd though as seed was hard to get in spring

Yup I know guys around here who have baked a whole quarter and end up with 40-60 bales on a bad year. 

Kind of like combining 150 bu oats, the guys in the combines are having fun but the trucker is dragging his arse by the end of the day😂

I liked growing flax on good years. Was nice to combine, usually worth a fair bit and it looked pretty in the summer. Unfortunately we’ve had some wet falls where I’m not sure we would’ve even gotten it off again. I’ve only grown in once and it sat out over winter. Luckily it was only 27 acres lol. Dad had to winter it once as well but otherwise managed to get it off every year. Some years not without some scraped up busted knuckles though lol. Sawzall quicly became our frown lol. There was a couple times where a match was looking awful tempting lol. 

Brother picked up parts for me at affordable I’m saskatoon and brought them up to the bush where we met to go quadding yesterday. So today I’m slowly putting things back together and debating where to shim what. The one factory spacer got hurt a bit and the keystock they welded on from factory is gone. May just try to weld a new piece in and bend it to fit. That stupid piece of pipe spacer is 350 dollars from cih. 

Had a good quad trip though. Put on 170 Kms and saw some sights that we hadn’t been to before. Ended up being a longer day then we’d planed but that was ok. We hiked back to a couple spots where my brothers friend that came with used to go. Down creeks and up hills a mountain goat would struggle on lol. Was only 10 miles away from home at one point but with a river in between us.  Got back to the trucks and I could see red and blue lights flashing just down the road. Conservation officers had stoped a group of quads and no one had helmets with open liquor and I suppose no insurance. I pulled up with my truck and quad loaded up thinking she was going to give us a hard time too but I was friendly with her and when she asked what we were up to told here we were scouting the burn for sawlogs which I was doing. She asked if we’d been hunting or shot any animals? I said no and she said okay I’ll move over and you can go on your way.  One of the girls was walking down the toad so my brother picked her up and took her to the next hilltop so she could call home and get some helmets brought out. They got off pretty easy too. 

That old log structure used to be a stables. It’s straight across where my grandfather used to have his sawmill set up on the creek. They crossed the river and came up the hill there and logged on both sides of the river. It’s not their building but there was a family that was set up there. 

D1E9B446-8E18-41E1-B257-0FADDA0E4769.jpeg

74B42F14-7DC8-4A10-95A9-9DAAFA9D8409.jpeg

51C63E85-8CBC-4219-8983-F0F6AF8BB0A3.jpeg

9F8145AE-32C8-4AB2-812F-A4C8CC667D5A.jpeg

8939C135-7112-4A96-9489-3EA6F29A6944.jpeg

36CFEC9A-842F-4D55-BDCF-CFD45006F0B6.jpeg

3CA3C254-4B5A-44D9-BE0A-E3C4FDE8D402.jpeg

0F02D503-F3D1-4800-853F-A645B71FFBBE.jpeg

32F78E35-C50C-468E-8701-A3155F026B64.jpeg

ABC8903C-E5EA-4243-9D9D-E30AB0561EE2.jpeg

78ED4BB1-444A-4062-9A77-8F91479B823E.jpeg

20F27606-26EB-4E78-9D1E-2265AB6E5C68.jpeg

C7772A61-9F9D-4DCF-877B-7B477221082E.jpeg

7 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Brother picked up parts for me at affordable I’m saskatoon and brought them up to the bush where we met to go quadding yesterday. So today I’m slowly putting things back together and debating where to shim what. The one factory spacer got hurt a bit and the keystock they welded on from factory is gone. May just try to weld a new piece in and bend it to fit. That stupid piece of pipe spacer is 350 dollars from cih. 

what area on the combines are you working on?

3 hours ago, wheatking said:

what area on the combines are you working on?

Just putting that rock trap beater back together. I’ve got the shaft back in and have it shimmed to the left now as I was told to do by another friend. Ended up welding some keystock onto the spacer and added a extra washer to the one side. Did a bunch of measuring and figured out what I needed that way. Still have a wee bit of play but not enough to worry I don’t think. Sorting through spacers and washers now trying to get things back where they belong. Guy before me had some stuff mixed up. 

Ha e to pick up some cone bolts yet and some connector link pins for the feeder chain (those s clips that lock the connector link in. Those stupid cone bolts are sure expensive. The ones on the machine are getting pretty worn though. There’s actually a couple missing too.  Have to get a repair link for the feeder chain too. Tore one slat partially off in the last 10 acres last fall. 

1 hour ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Just putting that rock trap beater back together. I’ve got the shaft back in and have it shimmed to the left now as I was told to do by another friend. Ended up welding some keystock onto the spacer and added a extra washer to the one side. Did a bunch of measuring and figured out what I needed that way. Still have a wee bit of play but not enough to worry I don’t think

I remember working with those spacers and welding key stock back when I was fighting with flax. Nothing helped. The solution was to stop growing flax. You have some nice scenery up there by the river. Turned cold here today with that wind. Sure hope we don't have an August frost like 2002. I have to say all crops in my area are looking great. Even my own I can't complain about too much. No close up pictures but you can see some of my canola in the background of this summerfallowing picture from yesterday. 525704400_MagnumcultivateAug8.thumb.jpg.864334c3bb43504ddbd4d1822191abe9.jpg

• Like 1

It’s been cooling off pretty good here too. Have to put a jacket on now in the evening it seems. Today is supposed to be pretty nice again. Most of the weekend was either cool or rainy though. Had scattered showered all day yesterday. Never amounted to much but enough to make the mud stick on your boots. Saturday warmed up pretty good in the afternoon again but the morning was cool. I had my fleece jacket on when I was riding and almost had to put my rain jacket on for extra warmth. 

Barley is coming on pretty quick, everything else has a ways to go yet. Canola is starting to fill but by no means full yet. Wheat is turning a little but still pretty green. I suspect by the 20th we’ll be swathing barley if the weather cooperates.  Lots of variables yet though. Looks like we won’t have to spray for army worms this year which is a plus. 

ah i see yes once the feeder house if off you may as well do a bunch of work, i redid a bunch of the bolts inside on the cone as well when i did mine also 1 vane was a little messed up so it got fixed i put new bearings in both shafts, I learnt about the hardened head bolts for the cone after i did this job, ran good i sold the 2388 2 yrs after i did all this and still working strong at its new home 

Peas are comin along probably spray by the end of the week, so got this week to get most of the stuff done, cleaning bins out still a hard job to get motivated for but usually doesn't take long once you get started and a few more loads to haul out and the odd job and we should be ready.......i think haha 

Got the feeder hose tore partially apart now. Too shaft on it has some play so not sure how much I’ll replace there yet. Sprockets are getting cupped a bit so I may reverse it and run on the new side at least. When you torque the set screws Probably going to do the bearings on it as well as there was a bit of play on the one. That pulley is heavy to hang onto when dragging that shaft out though lol. Luckily it came out without a fight. 

Siting in the truck loading a load of barley looking out at this years barley crop as I type this. 

3166102C-8C56-4D5F-A98A-C883AA25905A.thumb.jpeg.d7461cdb9e08cce10e342e45c6098c71.jpeg

4E1A6434-3509-421A-90F2-FC3CE6518AC2.thumb.jpeg.86fe83a17d7dea3aab1cc4ed634a5698.jpeg

• Like 1

Feeder house is pretty much all apparat now. Would like to change the top shaft on the sprocket drove but I’m thinking it will be a heck of a job to get it apart with those gib keys stuck in there for the last 25 years. Bearings on the front drum we’re on the way out and I have the bearings out from the top shaft now too. One was starting to get loose.  Not sure what to do with that front drum yet. Tried to find some part numbers for the weld on bands through cih but didn’t have any luck. Haven’t priced a new drum yet but I imagine it’s around 1 k now. 

E05002D6-BCAB-45D5-84FE-FA01198E8FF5.jpeg

7B68872E-259E-4DCC-B54F-D9D2CFEB1A93.jpeg

6948C1B3-24FC-4B7E-A29F-78EA01F465F9.jpeg

• Like 1

you really got it tore apart i know once you get in there you keep spending money but its nice to go to the field and feel good about the front end not failing, them wedges on the slip clutch i had the same problem i couldn't get them out i dropped it off at a local machine shop and they had them out in 20 minutes, as for the drum bands I don't think case sells the bands  my drum looked the same as yours, i got another welding shop to roll some bands and weld them on, i had another drum kicking around i got them to do that one to so if you wanted to go for a drive I'd sell it to ya 

• Like 1

So far the repair bill is only at 800 dollars so it’s not to bad yet lol. See how far we go with it from here I guess. I don’t like to half way fix things when I start so it usually costs a bit more in the end lol. I’ll keep ya in mind on the front drum. Brother works at a large machine shop in Saskatoon and can possibly make me some too if I get stuck. 

Soybeans here in north central Kansas Looking good 

IMG_20200809_151028573.jpg

• Like 6