Mostly green and yellow fields around here this year. Wheat and canola. I did see a few fields of peas and lentils and possibly one of flax in my 100 km round trip to pick up a grainvac today. Beautiful scenery and sky. 

IMG_1447[1].JPG

• Like 1
  • Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well finally got some more done. Just about half done now. Wee little bit of wheat to do and we’ll be at the half way point.  Technically speaking though I’m all done lol.  Finished up the last of the

Soybeans here in north central Kansas Looking good 

Had another crazy storm roll through about an hour ago. Another 1/2 inch of rain from it. Looked alot worse to the east again. They are really getting hammered over there. Roads and bridges washed out

Posted Images

Quit e a few acres of peas in around here, barley and canola are right up there too. Oats are still a lot lower then a few years ago. Wheat acres are down somewhat too I think. 

Took a few pictures tonight as the storms were rolling through. We didn’t get to much here. Just enough to make the yard muddy again. Little further east there was more and I’m oretty sure those black clouds went right overtop my barley. 

Barley ag home is laying down pretty bad by the house. Out in the field it’s not to bad. Last year the crop was really heavy there too. Used to be a slough bottom that wouldn’t grow anything. I ditched it out about 10 years ago. Used to be water almost to our bins on the real wet years. 

189FE0EC-B724-4C37-9F7E-865E3802C0F0.jpeg

FB278EDA-CEF0-49E0-997D-94FBADCEF579.jpeg

5E171EEA-9E4F-48A7-957A-77BE0DC1A1DF.jpeg

• Like 1

everything has been looking good here to, alittle scare the other night a system went through and was looking nasty but just left a half inch of rain but drying up ok now, things are looking up been busy trying to finish putting the combine back together that i had apart since before seeding, remembered most thing just one little bracket i don't know where it goes but ill figure it out, ended up buying a flex draper header for it this year so its suppose to be here soon so i'll need the combine to get it set up on my machine,

Seems like covid numbers are on the rise again so summer maybe abit shorter than expected 

• Like 1

We were out for a little drove this afternoon and ended up going through by star city just east of Melfort. There’s canola fields there that look like summer fallow(first picture is a canola field). Cereals are a month behind and very thin too. Some guys lost their whole crop in that storm a few weeks back. Even the trees were brown now. Never seen hail damage that bad before. 

About a hour before I got home I got a call asking me to go on a rescue mission with the versatile. Neighbour buried his Belarus tractor on the edge of a slough.  He got over to far as he was turning in a tight corner and sunk. They tried to pull it out forwards after this picture was taken and it went down even more. It was hung up on the frame all the way. When I got him moving the front of the rad was pulling mud and cattails back with it.  I wasn’t even sure the John Deere would pull it out but all we had to pull with was chains and the versatile was hooked onto the air drill yet. John Deere is a little more forgiving when using chains so I gave it a try. Had it hooked fairly short and it was a heavy chain albeit a old one though. Had to keep working him back on a angle and finally was able to pop him up out of the ruts. Had to pull the cultivator backwards first so I could get to him too. 

5CF837ED-FF18-4804-9218-DE184465870B.jpeg

CA1FC21A-FF34-4BB9-B35A-7073A3F21A16.jpeg

39A8222C-E535-4B59-BE9A-DFBF44214051.jpeg

773170C2-A31E-4764-A3EA-274771CEF820.jpeg

On 7/16/2020 at 10:16 PM, poor farmer/logger said:

We were out for a little drove this afternoon and ended up going through by star city just east of Melfort. There’s canola fields there that look like summer fallow(first picture is a canola field). Cereals are a month behind and very thin too. Some guys lost their whole crop in that storm a few weeks back. Even the trees were brown now. Never seen hail damage that bad before.  

You guys up North are sure having your excess moisture problems. We have lucked out this year but I remember what it was like. There are a few strips here that got hit with dowpour and some hail but not too bad. Canola is possibly past peak bloom on some fields. I took this shot of my last planted field of Brandon wheat this afternoon. 

IMG_1458[1].JPG

IMG_1457[1].JPG

• Like 3

Looks good Ralph. Our wheat is probably around 60-75% headed out now. Barley at home is almost all headed out. Some of the low spots that were wet earlier on ante s little behind. Main field is looking really good though. Little concerned about lodging though. Anywhere I overlapped and doubles up on the seed and fertilizer it’s laying down pretty bad already.

We’ve been fortunate to miss out on the big storms so far. Hopefully it continues that way. Was some ugly looking clouds floating around tonight and heavy rain not far away from here. The one storm came within a mile of home again. I could see it pouring down just down the road. The next storm came up from the north and ended up going east of us. My rented land may have gotten another heavy shot of rain, I’m not sure. We ended up with another 1/4” here again. I’m sure other places got a lot more judging by how hard the rain was coming down.  There was a funnel cloud just over PA this afternoon too. Same system that came through here I suspect. Was quite a large area under a funnel cloud watch this afternoon. 

42F6EEA2-F49A-4A65-A62B-64BD011E3564.jpeg

B0B73852-D00C-49BE-9FAB-84D286767A70.jpeg

37364B8F-037F-4DA7-A2E1-C4866ABA6EA6.jpeg

F27BA346-D77F-45F2-B8C5-D6E343959143.jpeg

• Like 1
On 7/18/2020 at 10:03 PM, poor farmer/logger said:

Looks good Ralph. Our wheat is probably around 60-75% headed out now. Barley at home is almost all headed out. Some of the low spots that were wet earlier on ante s little behind. Main field is looking really good though. Little concerned about lodging though. Anywhere I overlapped and doubles up on the seed and fertilizer it’s laying down pretty bad already.

We’ve been fortunate to miss out on the big storms so far. 

We are missing the big rains here. They seem to be very isolated and local. You can go from dust to mud and back to dust in a half mile on the gravel road today. I finally got  a few drone pictures this evening showing the oat field. Its a bit patchy emergence by the tree rows. Guess it was too dry at seeding time. 

MAX_0035.JPG

• Like 3

last couple days had showers come and go, not adding up to much but that's ok, been busy cutting grass in the yard again for the ?? time, hopefully not to many more time as i'm getting bored of that job but i guess it better than sweeping out grain bins that need to be done before harvest yet 

crops are still looking phenomenal with little to no disease pressure to boot  

• Like 1

Came home from pa this afternoon well actually from St. Louis as we were in pa earlier and had to pick up some junk dad bought at a online auction out near St. Louis.  Turned out if his yard and all we could see were these huge white plumes directly over home. Figured great we’ll be in mud all the way home. Roads were dry till we got about 4 miles away and then they just kept getting muddier as we went. Checked the gauge when we got home and it was a little over a half a inch again. Doesn’t sound like much but when you get 2 or 3 tenths or more everyday it never really sets up.  Was supposed to haul grain tomorrow but I don’t see that happening now. Need to get the combines out too but hate to leave them out in the rain too. Got some feeder house work I have to do on the ih. Massey shouldn’t need much as I hardly used it last fall. Only took off 50-60 acres lol. 

Had a fellow here for lumber this morning too and he was asking me if my rented land on the reserve got hit with hail. I said not that I know of. Apparently there was a bad storm that went through there a couple days ago. I went out after and checked what I could from the road and all looked well. Fields over a mile long on the east side though so no way to see it all from the road. 

D16A8D79-6836-4D5A-A3FF-3A7BDFAD38B7.jpeg

31B05A2C-E861-44AF-B3FD-76DFE205F0B9.jpeg

4B1B3F13-8AED-465D-A7B6-9E63A8298FB8.jpeg

Just drove half way across the continent, saw lots of crops.

Flax was blooming Yellow from the Dakotas all the way to the Yukon.

There were fields blooming with a violet flower in Canada, and some with smaller white flowers.  Not sure what it was, but it was looking good for a while

Corn was everything from short and poor to tall and silk hanging (sometimes you could see the two extremes on each side of the road).  Still corn from last year in the fields in the Dakotas, and fallow fields that they could not get planted due to it being so wet.

lots of grass being put up for hay.

by far and the most common thing I saw is it was to wet, But we could be having a drought by august 

• Like 1
8 hours ago, AKwelder said:

There were fields blooming with a violet flower in Canada,

Yellow fields would be canola. Flax has a blue flower. I don't grow it anymore but remember well the blue fields. It was a nice crop until it came to harvest which is why I don't grow it anymore. 

Here is a video of last weekend crop tour by my spring wheat and a neighbour's canola fields. 

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

Yellow fields would be canola. Flax has a blue flower. I don't grow it anymore but remember well the blue fields. It was a nice crop until it came to harvest which is why I don't grow it anymore. 

Here is a video of last weekend crop tour by my spring wheat and a neighbour's canola fields. 

Thank you

so there is a lot of Canola out there, like your video shows they were wonderful fields of yellow.  Also were some nice fields of peas maybe.  Small white flowers

8 hours ago, AKwelder said:

There were fields blooming with a violet flower in Canada, and some with smaller white flowers.  Not sure what it was, but it was looking good for a while

Corn was everything from short and poor to tall and silk hanging (sometimes you could see the two extremes on each side of the road).  Still corn from last year in the fields in the Dakotas, and fallow fields that they could not get planted due to it being so wet.

lots of grass being put up for hay.

by far and the most common thing I saw is it was to wet, But we could be having a drought by august 

You’d be getting sick of looking at farmland by the time you hit the Ab border I bet lol.

The violet fields were probably faba beans and the white flowers were probably field peas. 

Its surprising how far north into bc there is agriculture actually. Still a grain elevator at Dawson creek I think unless it’s been shut down in the last 10 years or so. 

1 minute ago, poor farmer/logger said:

You’d be getting sick of looking at farmland by the time you hit the Ab border I bet lol.

The violet fields were probably faba beans and the white flowers were probably field peas. 

Its surprising how far north into bc there is agriculture actually. Still a grain elevator at Dawson creek I think unless it’s been shut down in the last 10 years or so. 

Yeah, I think there was an elevator there, but I passed more than a couple  Lots and lots and lots of bins along the way to.  A heck of a lot

Might be some more stormy weather headed your way tonight PFL

2 hours ago, hardtail said:

Might be some more stormy weather headed your way tonight PFL

Sure hope not. There’s a heavy band of clouds north of here tonight though and it’s been awful hot all day so it wouldn’t surprise me. 

EF4C632D-48A1-4593-8268-BAA236939B1C.jpeg

Was sweating away outside almost all day so I took off on the quad tonight and went up by where my grandfathers old mill site was again. Did a little crop checking along the way too. Canola is starting to fill in pretty good now. It’s a week behind yet though. Maybe even a bit more. Wheats looking good. Some signs of disease in it though. Flag leafs are huge but they’re showing some signs of disease I think. Hopefully it fills out ok anyways. Barley if you look at it just the right way almost looks like it’s starting to turn on top. Could just be the heat though causing it.  Lots of moisture underneath yet for it. 

DAA52C8F-D691-4FF8-B853-7732A484B4FE.jpeg

6B7D1403-751B-46FA-A850-65F0544E317E.jpeg

F6F826D8-0743-432C-B1FE-436377D854DB.jpeg

DFAE7A04-FB16-4647-996A-EBE386DE6E66.jpeg

60FA4C60-43DA-4192-96C0-193CEE5D4357.jpeg

CF3F6705-9D22-4AA4-8319-16B958F9A25E.jpeg

450FCA38-C334-4744-8261-56A0102DB9A0.jpeg

A681B0C7-5B8F-4775-9BBD-B5A9A5E099CC.jpeg

613397F8-977C-428E-9525-BB57C054D849.jpeg

2A16ECC0-FA81-42B5-8EBE-A15FC942B158.jpeg

• Like 4

Canola is just coming into full bloom here now. Looking not to bad now. Field across the road should look a little better in a few more days. It was seeded 4 days later thanks to a rain delay. 

234FE338-6A66-4F12-85F1-F35E92AD6279.jpeg

7CB03079-0E57-4A49-A611-49CCFB85919A.jpeg

• Like 3
9 hours ago, 806 man said:

Yum, Yum, Yellow taters on the dinner menu.

1709B37C-EB7C-4B53-9B84-D092EC9B589E.jpeg

93ACFF43-AFFF-4511-ABC8-D9D62D76B72C.jpeg

Spraying for bugs or fungicides? South of here about 150 miles there’s some irrigated land that they grow potatoes on but nothing close to home at all.

On a side note the potatoes in our garden are growing like crazy. Been eating fresh ones for about 3 weeks now.  The tops on them are huge this year. 

4 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Spraying for bugs or fungicides? South of here about 150 miles there’s some irrigated land that they grow potatoes on but nothing close to home at all.

On a side note the potatoes in our garden are growing like crazy. Been eating fresh ones for about 3 weeks now.  The tops on them are huge this year. 

Potatoes are doing pretty good here too considering it is getting dry. In fact some tops are dying off already. I've grown those yellow ones in the past but didn't care for them. I like the purple Caribes best. They keep best in the bin over winter too. 

Variable rains here this summer mean some areas have plenty of moisture while some suffer. I was cutting hay five miles East yesterday and could see the difference the extra rain over there made on the hay crop compared to at home and out West. Don't judge the hay by this photo as I made the classic amateur mistake of stopping on a thin hillside where the hay was short to take a picture. 50  feet further down the brome grass was so tall it was almost stalling the reel on the haybine.  

2090 haybine small.jpg

8 hours ago, Loadstar said:

Potatoes are doing pretty good here too considering it is getting dry. In fact some tops are dying off already. I've grown those yellow ones in the past but didn't care for them. I like the purple Caribes best. They keep best in the bin over winter too. 

Variable rains here this summer mean some areas have plenty of moisture while some suffer. I was cutting hay five miles East yesterday and could see the difference the extra rain over there made on the hay crop compared to at home and out West. Don't judge the hay by this photo as I made the classic amateur mistake of stopping on a thin hillside where the hay was short to take a picture. 50  feet further down the brome grass was so tall it was almost stalling the reel on the haybine.  

2090 haybine small.jpg

Lol looks good from here Ralph. I think for the most part guys will get more hay around here then they have the last few years anyways. Seems if they don’t get that late April early May rains on the lighter sand they hay land doesn’t produce much no mater how much moisture we get later. Still hasn’t been much wrapped up here yet    Seem to get a little bit of rain everyday. Missed us today which was good. 

Went out to check on the road construction near my rented land tonight and do a little crop checking g while I was at it. Found a surprise when I got out there though unfortunately. Found a bunch of slugs crawling around in my barley. Wasn’t sure at the time what they were so I put a post up on the 306 farm group and asked. Talked with my agrilogist after too. He actually thinks the slugs may be going after thrips in the heads and stems. Have to go back out in the morning and take another look.  Always something it seems  

8E2BC134-15CD-4E25-BCB7-4C6116A713D2.jpeg

FBDD6184-6CCE-4468-BDBE-E565810730F1.jpeg

0BB3D3D0-4308-4E88-B2F1-0ED2D9A20729.jpeg