just warm and windy here these days the nights have been cool, i think ive been getting my better sleeps with the window open at night,  good weather to suck up this moisture sounds like for is on the way for beginning of next week 

• Replies 373
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well finally got some more done. Just about half done now. Wee little bit of wheat to do and we’ll be at the half way point.  Technically speaking though I’m all done lol.  Finished up the last of the

Soybeans here in north central Kansas Looking good 

Had another crazy storm roll through about an hour ago. Another 1/2 inch of rain from it. Looked alot worse to the east again. They are really getting hammered over there. Roads and bridges washed out

Posted Images

Finally a warm sunny day here again. Got most of the canola sprayed again today. One little 50 acre field left that there is no real urgency to do. Weeds that are coming are very small and it’s on sand so the canola is still filling in. Pretty bare in some spots yet. Won’t be a bumper crop there that’s for sure. Took a few pictures while spraying nothing special though.  The yellowish geeen strip in the first picture is where dad combined with the Massey last fall and didn’t have the engine wide open lol. 

3A293218-E52B-4723-8F73-D24196A78DEE.jpeg

8D6F3025-B019-4587-A8EE-AC58BEA38198.jpeg

1116EAD1-1D3B-46A3-B4A5-23F0E27BAA13.jpeg

• Like 3

that's the good thing about canola you don't need a big plant population one plant will branch out unbelievable, i had some last year that i thought was awful when i swathed it but combine combining it it turned out way better than i hoped, ill get the sprayer cleaned out tomorrow for the last field to crop spray of barley, then debating on a fungicide pass in the peas yet 

• Like 1
22 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Those are some ugly looking clouds. About 30 miles east of here and south a bit there was a possible tornado touchdown. I haven’t heard the extent of the damage yet but they got a lot more rain and hail then we did. So far the brunt of the storms have been missing us at home. Hopefully it stays that way. 

Good to hear you got spraying wrapped up though.  Just think of the money you’ll save from going to a chiropractor to get your back cracked 😂😂

Had another storm just roll through. All week looks like rain too

It won't be too bad with the sp combine now. Last time we made full length ruts we only had the pull types and it's pretty hard to go whatever way works best with them lol

• Like 1

Canola looks pretty decent there. Theres alot of pretty patchy canola around here. Most of it is all bolting now. Even ours is getting very close to bolting. Some real nice fields around though too. Our first canola looks amazing. I don't know if I ever seen a field of canola so even and nice looking. The other stuff looks good too but is gonna have to do filling in as it grows lol. First field we sowed at just under 4.5 lbs/ac and the rest of it we went just over 5 lbs/ac. I remember quite a few years ago we sowed at 4 lbs and it was one of the nicest crops we ever had. Sure seems like the lighter seeded crop is going to out perform the other stuff again

• Like 1

Pretty ominous looking storm to the South of me ysterday evening but I haven't heard any reports of damage or even much rain. Lots of lightning. Hot today in the 80s so I guess things will be growing fast. You can see some of the neighbour's wheat heading by my driveway in yesterday's driving video. Its one of the early fields. 

• Like 4

Drove the 50or so miles to Garwin for the 4th of July tractor show today, never saw a tassel the whole way. The old saying, "Knee high by the 4th of July" is out the window with today's corn. it's usually knee high by the 4th of June around here, didn't quite make it this year. Most years, tasseled out by the 4th of July. Like I said, didn't see one in about 100 miles of road travel. Mowing at the farm this afternoon I saw this. Not a high percentage but they are coming!

It was a good local show, saw Red Tractor Fever an NE Powieshiek Farmalls there.

IMG_0470.JPG

• Like 3

We had a couple smaller storms roll through here today too. Didn’t amount to much thankfully but there was a couple awful loud cracks of thunder. Had to be fairly close. I went out and had a look after that to see what was coming. Could see a heavy band of rain in the west. It ended up going just south of us though. 

8C5D5715-A75C-4086-AA77-47E2C0BD3378.jpeg

7FE02DF2-4159-4DDC-969E-2C9F77F78733.jpeg

69F95B5F-FFAC-45D8-AC19-75D0EA1E7665.jpeg

C6E6C448-25CC-42BA-977F-B8B18D1CED8E.jpeg

• Like 3

poor farmer, roosty and 1486 you guys much all be drowning ? looking at the radar last night there was a big system pretty much over the 3 of ya's, we werent in any system and woke up to 2.5 inches of rain this morning 

58 minutes ago, wheatking said:

poor farmer, roosty and 1486 you guys much all be drowning ? looking at the radar last night there was a big system pretty much over the 3 of ya's, we werent in any system and woke up to 2.5 inches of rain this morning 

I was concerned last night as there was a big system moving in our way. I could see the lightning in the sky I put the trucks in the shed at about 11:30 and went to bed around midnight. Woke up around 4:00 and could hear the rain coming down. It didn’t last long though thankfully. We got maybe a 1/10” on my way to Melfort and it’s very patchy. Some spots the road was pretty wet and sloppy and other spots the dust was flying. Clouds are broke up a little this morning now and the suns shining a bit at least. 

I honestly never looked at the guage but thinking 3 tenths maybe. Small puddles in the morning but they're dried up now. I never heard no storm out of it, just rain. Which is odd because we seem to have been getting a storm from any little cloud lately lol

10 hours ago, wheatking said:

No, you guys out West got it all. Barely measureable in my guage this morning. We are ok for moisture. Not too much or too little. I even baled 8 bales of hay that never had a bit of rain on it since I cut it. I need to get out and get a picture of the canola fields that are turning yellow here. 

• Like 1

Not a great day for pictures but I was right there so took a few pics of the wheat and canola. I'm not real happy with the crops but I guess they are passable. Should have used wild oat herbicide on the first two fields as now there are some showing up. Its heading out knee high so hopefully stretches out a little more. Canola has some thin patches but seems typical of most fields I see here. 

IMG_1430.jpg

• Like 1

ya i guess we did i had 3.5 inches my land to the west and the north had closer to 4 inches, up in unity to north battleford got closer to 7 inches in some spots, the lentil feilds really turned color today they are sick wouldnt be surprised if a few fields get wrote off 

On ‎7‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 12:22 PM, Loadstar said:

Pretty ominous looking storm to the South of me ysterday evening but I haven't heard any reports of damage or even much rain. Lots of lightning. Hot today in the 80s so I guess things will be growing fast. You can see some of the neighbour's wheat heading by my driveway in yesterday's driving video. Its one of the early fields. 

Thank You so much for the video!

Its 10.19 PM pacific time and I decided to take a peak at my I.H, buddies before bed and in no time , Here I am in an old Beautiful Merc. traveling the farm fields of S.E Sack, Canada feeling privileged to be traveling private farm roads that I would never be able to experience , even though its in my basket list to visit Canada .

Appreciate the Natures Fireworks.

Love seeing how farmers in other parts live and farm.,

Tony

• Like 3
23 hours ago, wheatking said:

ya i guess we did i had 3.5 inches my land to the west and the north had closer to 4 inches, up in unity to north battleford got closer to 7 inches in some spots, the lentil feilds really turned color today they are sick wouldnt be surprised if a few fields get wrote off 

That’s a lot of rain in a short time. I had heard that North Battleford got hit pretty hard. Going to be hard on all the pulses. I saw a few fields of peas closer to Melfort that were getting pretty stunted from all the rain. Lots of yellow patches in the field. 

Thought we were going to get hit tonight again but the clouds seemed to split and go around us. Only had a few drops here. Just enough it was running off the shop roof for a bit.  Took this photo about 9:30 when I was coming back down from the shop. 

A417FFA0-BFEB-463F-AEB9-428F3051C081.jpeg

• Like 2
3 hours ago, DT Fan said:

Never get tired of good sunset pictures.

How about sunrise pictures?F943B0A6-5D49-4FE6-A3D4-45D72A2CCDA1.thumb.jpeg.918ad5b1405abc50b48c5eed8e282ab9.jpeg

here’s some local pictures of corn and soybeans that are doing very well despite the dry weather we have been having.BF3F0484-3703-4881-97DF-261E1E9428A4.thumb.jpeg.91c7475e2eef6fe277a0f956b5235b36.jpeg64FC1706-D54A-4A91-8CE2-9A9BE7FAD7A3.thumb.jpeg.20461e3e8536a9dad8537fc1981f60ac.jpeg

The hay crop is very poor this year, Most of the fields I’m getting 1/3 my normal yield, The 40 acres I baled yesterday only gave me 66 3‘ x 3‘ x 8‘ square bales, normally I get 160 to 200+ on a good year! Here is a picture of the best part of the 40 acres.64B962D6-5652-4649-8F70-484D243272F8.thumb.jpeg.8b07c23bd04d1e1c44e1dce9a4c1e492.jpeg

We are having a major shortage of hay in this area, a lot of people are really freaking out!

• Like 4

Qc, sunrise is just as good! I just love the colors. Harder to be awake when the sun comes up when you work "2nd" shift!

• Like 1
9 hours ago, Qc.Can.IH man said:

How about sunrise pictures?F943B0A6-5D49-4FE6-A3D4-45D72A2CCDA1.thumb.jpeg.918ad5b1405abc50b48c5eed8e282ab9.jpeg

here’s some local pictures of corn and soybeans that are doing very well despite the dry weather we have been having.BF3F0484-3703-4881-97DF-261E1E9428A4.thumb.jpeg.91c7475e2eef6fe277a0f956b5235b36.jpeg64FC1706-D54A-4A91-8CE2-9A9BE7FAD7A3.thumb.jpeg.20461e3e8536a9dad8537fc1981f60ac.jpeg

The hay crop is very poor this year, Most of the fields I’m getting 1/3 my normal yield, The 40 acres I baled yesterday only gave me 66 3‘ x 3‘ x 8‘ square bales, normally I get 160 to 200+ on a good year! Here is a picture of the best part of the 40 acres.64B962D6-5652-4649-8F70-484D243272F8.thumb.jpeg.8b07c23bd04d1e1c44e1dce9a4c1e492.jpeg

We are having a major shortage of hay in this area, a lot of people are really freaking out!

I’m not usually up at sunrise lol. It is a nice time of the day though. Everything’s calm and quiet. Even the more annoying birds are usually quiet yet lol. 

Hay crops are pretty heavy here this year. Lots of rain and cooler temps so the lighter land didn’t burn off as bad. The newer hay crops on the better land look really good. 

The crops look good there hopefully you guys will get some rain and they’ll pull through. 

• Like 1

Crops are looking good here so far. They’ve jumped up quite a bit the last couple days. Canola is still just starting to bloom, no real yellow fields yet but I’m a few days there will be. Cereals have started to head out the last couple days now.  

EE03F351-4B74-4C9D-B692-319ABBD2DDDC.jpeg

275F1E33-04F3-4712-8102-8919D5C34416.jpeg

9D8CF28C-3B3A-4FD2-BDED-1D6B64E9FA85.jpeg

54313C4E-37F6-4D22-956E-0ED00E36DDB4.jpeg

16FBC426-A00C-473D-AE73-6CE2A2AD360A.jpeg

• Like 1
On 7/9/2020 at 11:27 PM, Tonyinca said:

Thank You so much for the video!

Its 10.19 PM pacific time and I decided to take a peak at my I.H, buddies before bed and in no time , Here I am in an old Beautiful Merc. traveling the farm fields of S.E Sack, Canada feeling privileged to be traveling private farm roads that I would never be able to experience , even though its in my basket list to visit Canada .

Appreciate the Natures Fireworks.

Love seeing how farmers in other parts live and farm.,

Tony

Glad you enjoyed the video Tony. I never get tired of driving and photographing the Merc. 

We got a good inch of rain here Friday night but double that not too far South. I sprayed a field of chem fallow 5 miles East yesterday afternoon and was sure glad i had the Magnum with MFD and duals pulling the sprayer. Left ruts in places and had to drive around a few water holes that weren't there last time.  I'm guessing there was well over an inch there. 

Fungicide sprayers are going strong here all around me on wheat the last day or so. I took a few drone photos last week. That yellow field of canola to the East is part of a 7 quarter field. If you took the roads out that farmer would have about 17 quarters of canola in a block if I'm counting right. 

MAX_0023.JPG

• Like 2