Sign in to follow this  
poor farmer/logger

2020 crop pics

14 hours ago, lorenzo said:

First batch of sweet corn tasseled already 

2C0100ED-B726-44EB-9817-FB29EAE31838.thumb.jpeg.ef6acdf28ac7ac83dfc84dd39cdf0175.jpeg

Our corn in the garden is about 8 inches tall now lol. Got a ways to go to catch youlol. 

Well we ended up with another 3/4” of rain yesterday again. Kind of rained all day. Never hard bitnit soaked everything again. Runs in the fields are running a little bit again. Went out tonight and had a look at a couple fields of canola. Looks like we’ll likely have to spray again. At least do some patches if nothing else although I hate trying to spit spray. Does start to get expensive going over all of it twice though with liberty and centurion. 

Some of the canola is looking not to bad whole othet spots still look rough. This field is starting to fill in a little better now. Need some more sunshine though and less rain for a while. Another week and it will be starting to bolt I think. 

Took the quad through a couple of runs and cut holes in the sprayer ruts that were holding water back. Keep it draining a little bit better at least. 

BDB6EF99-2159-4576-831A-A9247C24221F.jpeg

F9D9BDBC-9C8F-4EC1-A3C1-3A599569E2B7.jpeg

183127D5-5DE4-499B-B908-40BC39740066.jpeg

• Like 2

On 6/25/2020 at 10:27 PM, Loadstar said:

I do all my tank rinsing with a flexible rubber hose on the yard hydrant. Triple rinse. That hard well water is a good "de-foamer" I find. 

Finished up the in crop spraying tonight on the oats. Nice looking crop. A few thin spots where emergence was delayed for some reason. Not bad for weeds. Should be a good crop. Hopefully this year it won't get hundred percent hail like last year. 

IMG_1392[1].JPG

Yes hopefully you don’t have a repeat like last year Ralph. No fun combining straw with nothing in it or wrapping it up into bales. 

• Like 2

since friday has been 1.7 inches of rain here, we could use a week of sunny weather to soak this up, things are still looking good canola is going into bolting stage and peas are goin taller and cereals still look good but w week of sun would really crank them up 

• Like 1

Well I guess I for sure can't say we're too dry out here. Got about 5 inches of rain so far and it's still coming down. There was tornado warnings this afternoon but nothing that I know of locally. Was a ways north from what I heard. Theres more water running everywhere here now than I have seen in probably 5 or more years. Maybe were heading back to the wet, or normal years lol. One more day of spraying is all we needed but looks like that's on hold for a bit now.

Somewhere I read today that the tallest clouds on earth today were right over us. I cant seem to find that article mow though. Here's the radar for right now and were on the edge of the red. Was in it most of the day lol

Screenshot_20200628-233427_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e718f6bf337968cdb94bf30e04e18033.jpg

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, db1486 said:

Well I guess I for sure can't say we're too dry out here. Got about 5 inches of rain so far and it's still coming down. There was tornado warnings this afternoon but nothing that I know of locally. Was a ways north from what I heard. Theres more water running everywhere here now than I have seen in probably 5 or more years. Maybe were heading back to the wet, or normal years lol. One more day of spraying is all we needed but looks like that's on hold for a bit now.

Somewhere I read today that the tallest clouds on earth today were right over us. I cant seem to find that article mow though. Here's the radar for right now and were on the edge of the red. Was in it most of the day lol

Screenshot_20200628-233427_Chrome.thumb.jpg.e718f6bf337968cdb94bf30e04e18033.jpg

I saw the weather warnings on Facebook and was thinking about you. Sucks that you got that much. They were showing 50-100 mm on the map for your area so they weren’t that far off I guess. That’s a lot of water to get at once though that’s for sure.  Kind of like getting 3 or 4 feet of wet snow all at once and melting. There was a band stretching back into Saskatchewan too but I haven’t heard if there was much on this side of the border or not. Sure some strange storms going around so far this year anyways. 

24 minutes ago, wheatking said:

since friday has been 1.7 inches of rain here, we could use a week of sunny weather to soak this up, things are still looking good canola is going into bolting stage and peas are goin taller and cereals still look good but w week of sun would really crank them up 

We were just catching up from the rain we had the week before. Everything was just starting to dry up nicely. Some of the pot holes that had water in them all spring were even starting to dry up.  That hot weather last week sucked up a pile of moisture. Now we’re getting it back or maybe db1486 is getting it 

1 hour ago, poor farmer/logger said:

I saw the weather warnings on Facebook and was thinking about you. Sucks that you got that much. They were showing 50-100 mm on the map for your area so they weren’t that far off I guess. That’s a lot of water to get at once though that’s for sure.  Kind of like getting 3 or 4 feet of wet snow all at once and melting. There was a band stretching back into Saskatchewan too but I haven’t heard if there was much on this side of the border or not. Sure some strange storms going around so far this year anyways. 

I saw up to 175mm for the warnings. We didn't get quite that but I bet we did a few miles north. Was quite a bit wetter up there yet when I came home through the storm. It's still booming and looks like it could be bad right till Tuesday. Lots of hail in the past week too but so far our fields have missed it. Don't need that stuff too. I got family about 45 miles west of the mb/sk border and they got half an inch only

I wonder if loadstar got hit with this band we got? It seemed to be coming from that direction. It was kind of weird. We were out fencing and it was just cloudy but could hear steady rumbling above us but no storm clouds. Then you could start to see flashing above the clouds we could see. Never really did see the storm clouds, just all the effects from it. I guess the storm was in the clouds above the layer we could see

8 hours ago, db1486 said:

I wonder if loadstar got hit with this band we got? It seemed to be coming from that direction. It was kind of weird. We were out fencing and it was just cloudy but could hear steady rumbling above us but no storm clouds. Then you could start to see flashing above the clouds we could see. Never really did see the storm clouds, just all the effects from it. I guess the storm was in the clouds above the layer we could see

Just a light shower SAturday night here that was barely measureable. I was out hilling potatoes next morning and pulling up dry soil. Crops look nice here but I hear they are a little dry and needing rain South of me. EArly canola was showing a few flowers yesterday evening as I drove by. I'm hitched up to the haybine so that should bring on the rain. Radar shows rain coming up from the South right now. 

Looks like a heavier band heading towards Ralph’s direction tonight.

We didn’t get any more today but they’re saying another inch tomorrow again. 

Looks like another band heading your way too db1486

DCFF3A16-1127-48E1-AAA2-67B13F2CADEC.png

8C7C8309-4873-4C43-A317-535162375DF9.png

Finished up side dressing corn last night. I built my own y drop side dress bar for this year and Im pretty happy with how it turned out. We were really dry this last month but have now 3.5" of rain in the past 4 days. 

0629201805_HDR.jpg

0629201801_HDR.jpg

• Like 3

14 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Looks like a heavier band heading towards Ralph’s direction tonight.

We didn’t get any more today but they’re saying another inch tomorrow again. 

Looks like another band heading your way too db1486

DCFF3A16-1127-48E1-AAA2-67B13F2CADEC.png

8C7C8309-4873-4C43-A317-535162375DF9.png

I'm hearing we're in for another storm today. Although we were supposed to get yesterday and it never happened. I think were ok for moisture now lol. But might as well get it out of its system before we start haying. I don't think it will be near as much rain. I'm hearing that about 30-40 miles south of me they got anywhere from 9-11 inches of rain on Sunday. Areas are getting evacuated. Roads are gone. Reports that a tornado did touch down in that area too. I think storm season can end now

Logger, I was playing in the parkland on Sunday afternoon, quadding with my family. Just north of Waka Lake, the crops look nice in the area. 

At home now we had 1.75 in not far away 2.5-3. Home is on the 49th.

2 hours ago, IKS said:

Logger, I was playing in the parkland on Sunday afternoon, quadding with my family. Just north of Waka Lake, the crops look nice in the area. 

At home now we had 1.75 in not far away 2.5-3. Home is on the 49th.

Getting closer to my neck of the woods lol. Need to get a little further north and come up to God’s country lol. 

We got lucky and didn’t get much more rain today again. Had a little bit overnight again and just a light drizzle on and off today. Didn’t amount to much but the yards still greasy. 

Went out on the quad this afternoon and did a little crop checking on my rentled land.  Roads were to bad once I got off the main grid. Guys doing the road building weren’t working today though. Wet enough they called it quits. They’ve been crap down for a few days now again. I’m sure they’re cursing this rain too. Work 2 days sit for 5. Hard to make money doing it that way. 

40E65B55-0CCA-42FE-95FC-FD4341F19FE5.jpeg

BF2DD802-82F6-4CB6-B7E3-1045C506679E.jpeg

• Like 2

Good rain here last night but it was a fairly narrow band travelling South to North just before midnight. Got just over 2 inches or 60 mm. Real humid and damp today but no real rain here. I did run through a heavy shower on a parts drive to Southey. Crops are looking great. 

IMG_1409[1].JPG

• Like 4

2 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Getting closer to my neck of the woods lol. Need to get a little further north and come up to God’s country lol. 

There is a chance I could look you up when I make it to PA sometime this summer. 

12 hours ago, IKS said:

There is a chance I could look you up when I make it to PA sometime this summer. 

If you get up this way let me know.  We’re half way in between PA and Melfort but it’s not far to slip into PA if it works out. 

• Thanks 1

Hadtye drone up for a little bit this morning when the clouds were starting to clear up. Wind was starting to pick up pretty good at the same time so I didn’t fly it around much. Took a couple shots when it was up though. Barley has yellowed a bit in the low spots but overall looks pretty good yet. It’s got a bit of a yellow hue the way the sun was shining on it. Later in the afternoon it was a nice deep green again. Spots where I overlapped going around bushes or poles it’s actually laying down already. It’s atarting to get some height to it already and in another week or so it should be heading out I think. Sprayer tracks from the ground aren’t to obvious yet but from the air they sure show up  

C80BC2BD-288B-41AF-93D6-4B73CBCBB351.jpeg

• Like 4

Got another 1/2” here at the farm further east got a lot more. Just a little bit west of here there’s a lot more water laying in the fields too. Plenty wet here too at the farm though. Going to spray the canola again so I hope it dries up a bit in the next day or two. Fields are pretty soft yet. Might have to run with partial loads to save wear on the machine  and tearing up the crop even more. 

23 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Hadtye drone up for a little bit this morning when the clouds were starting to clear up. Wind was starting to pick up pretty good at the same time so I didn’t fly it around much. Took a couple shots when it was up though. Barley has yellowed a bit in the low spots but overall looks pretty good yet. It’s got a bit of a yellow hue the way the sun was shining on it. Later in the afternoon it was a nice deep green again. Spots where I overlapped going around bushes or poles it’s actually laying down already. It’s atarting to get some height to it already and in another week or so it should be heading out I think. Sprayer tracks from the ground aren’t to obvious yet but from the air they sure show up  

Looking that good from the air then it must look even better from ground level . That is how I've seen it here. I did not get any up to date drone pics of my crop but did take this from ground level this evening. Its my last planted field of canola and I'm satisfied with it so far. Some earlier seeded fields are showing flowers already. Saw some wheat heads showing this evening too.                       

canola NW 28.JPG

• Like 3

Canola looks good there Ralph. Ours looks tougher today after all the wind and rain. Maybe even a little hail. The barley is starting to lay down quite a bit in places too. 

098B2AD4-9DF2-42F9-A621-3DA68DC6C1E0.jpeg

95F37B02-FDBA-45C5-8BE5-1CA415F99694.jpeg

5BB2E476-878E-4568-AFFC-92B6FDA46096.jpeg

E97B0A2A-5144-4C9A-87BC-86580922F9F2.jpeg

• Like 2

Had another crazy storm roll through about an hour ago. Another 1/2 inch of rain from it. Looked alot worse to the east again. They are really getting hammered over there. Roads and bridges washed out, dams at the point of letting go. We could be alot worse off over here. Half hour west yet they hardly had anything. Yet the past 3 years was complete opposite

Finished spraying tonight anyway. Finished up canola last night then flax today. Canola fields weren't as bad as I thought they'd be. Not much for ruts or crop damage, considering we've had about 7-8 inches of rain since Sunday they held up pretty good. Flax field was a different story. If we knew it was that bad should've got the plane. Oh well it's done now lol. Gonna be bouncing over half mile long ruts again come harvest

Snapchat-151165889.thumb.jpg.068aedc3e4c7a1c4934b45cd4e35a5ae.jpg

6320200126.thumb.jpg.0cc35dc312dd5a132f391eb0848aceea.jpgSnapchat-1934454455.thumb.jpg.21ece1baf8b311aca552b9baa51c585e.jpg

622020235920.thumb.jpg.3bd48b180727d13b6a6174857650af67.jpg

• Like 6

Those are some ugly looking clouds. About 30 miles east of here and south a bit there was a possible tornado touchdown. I haven’t heard the extent of the damage yet but they got a lot more rain and hail then we did. So far the brunt of the storms have been missing us at home. Hopefully it stays that way. 

Good to hear you got spraying wrapped up though.  Just think of the money you’ll save from going to a chiropractor to get your back cracked 😂😂

• Haha 1