My best friends in Santa Paula picked their Avocados today.   50 bins , about 2000 avocados per bin .  Very happy about that. C3B266A7-FD84-4CAD-A47A-89F0A3AF8A65.thumb.jpeg.4dc56a39889ad9fb7dc9447cb23f8ee9.jpeg07E8EFE4-B968-41A1-8665-F0885CB82786.thumb.jpeg.45004054e77910f26c33e6cb1b3f28d4.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Replies 407
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well finally got some more done. Just about half done now. Wee little bit of wheat to do and we’ll be at the half way point.  Technically speaking though I’m all done lol.  Finished up the last of the

42 year old 1460 in 215 bu corn....

Soybeans here in north central Kansas Looking good 

Posted Images

14 hours ago, lorenzo said:

My best friends in Santa Paula picked their Avocados today.   50 bins , about 2000 avocados per bin .  Very happy about that. C3B266A7-FD84-4CAD-A47A-89F0A3AF8A65.thumb.jpeg.4dc56a39889ad9fb7dc9447cb23f8ee9.jpeg07E8EFE4-B968-41A1-8665-F0885CB82786.thumb.jpeg.45004054e77910f26c33e6cb1b3f28d4.jpeg

Neat, definitely not something you see everyday up here lol. 

Had a dream last night that I go up early in the morning and looked outside to see everything covered in snow better not come true lol. 

Hows everyome else been doing for moisture. We’ve had around 2 inches this week again now and the fields are getting quite muddy again. Some of the runs have water running in them again now. Sure hope we get some decent weather to dry things up a bit so I can finish spraying. 

Had 4 inches two nights ago and just five miles away they had 7 .  

Lots of flooding  and roads closed . 

Had a good 3/4 inch this week which is just right. Unfortunately its been a week since I ran the sprayer. Either threatening rain, too windy, or too cold all the time. Still got a few days to go to finish but at this rate I'll be lucky to finish in June. 

On 6/18/2020 at 6:43 PM, poor farmer/logger said:

One thing we don’t own is a good toe strap. I doubled up my best logging chains and hooked two on each side down to the drawbar of the tractor. Hooked them so they all pulled relatively even. Don’t like using chains but with some caution it’s usually ok. Dad’s had a couple close calls though years ago. This is number two for me lol. Got the versatile stuck once this spring. That spot is all under water now again after the rain. I’ll have to take the skid steer or something over and fill those ruts in this fall if it’s dry enough. Was over looking a bit ago and the ruts are full of water now of course. Surprisingly the slough didn’t get much bigger after the rain though. It hasn’t been big enough of a issue to put the floater tires on so I’ve just left the skinny ones on. I got a set used real cheap a few years ago that I’m fairly certain fit. Dealer had them leftover from a sprayer they had taken to the auction. They wanted them gone so I got the set of 4  24.5x32 tires and rims for 750 bucks. I measured everything and it looked like they should be the correct ones. They way Ritchies did their auctions at the time the floater tires that actually came off this sprayer ended up selling before the sprayer lol. Told dad I half expected to find a note on the seat saying call me I ended up with the tires to fit this sprayer lol. Bought a Jack last summer to change them as well but haven’t used it yet aside from testing it to make sure it would actually lift that heavy old pig lol  

60F32AD2-5BAC-443A-921E-FB7F3042E790.jpeg

BE4644E3-9F6D-49D8-B1C7-252C1AFAE651.thumb.jpeg.74c22aaaf83c2efcdb10031992c40d27.jpeg

Princess auto surplus is where I buy the tow straps lol. 30 bucks on sale for a 3"x30'. Got one in every truck and pretty much every tractor. Nice and light and easy to handle. This spring we were hooking 3 together to get to solid enough ground. Never broke a strap. When I sunk the combine the last time the guy on the track hoe said those will never hold up. Dad said just hook them up and pull. It was a dead pull and a tough one but the 2 straps never broke. The guy was amazed lol. Way nicer than dealing with those big heavy straps. We've pulled loaded semis with one strap no issue either 

• Like 3
On 6/20/2020 at 2:19 PM, Loadstar said:

Had a good 3/4 inch this week which is just right. Unfortunately its been a week since I ran the sprayer. Either threatening rain, too windy, or too cold all the time. Still got a few days to go to finish but at this rate I'll be lucky to finish in June. 

You're not alone. Our wheat should've been done a week ago but finally got a beautiful spraying day today. Should've finished wheat but a tractor tire said otherwise. So I guess we'll do the last wheat field tomorrow if it's not raining. Canola and flax should be ok for a few days yet

Snapchat-2054964037.thumb.jpg.ba487c30ec2675396e9dfd1e4ba66a08.jpg

Snapchat-1131933516.thumb.jpg.be5c82e6c3d8745c6df6f3f5a3e689a8.jpg

• Like 2
2 hours ago, db1486 said:

Princess auto surplus is where I buy the tow straps lol. 30 bucks on sale for a 3"x30'. Got one in every truck and pretty much every tractor. Nice and light and easy to handle. This spring we were hooking 3 together to get to solid enough ground. Never broke a strap. When I sunk the combine the last time the guy on the track hoe said those will never hold up. Dad said just hook them up and pull. It was a dead pull and a tough one but the 2 straps never broke. The guy was amazed lol. Way nicer than dealing with those big heavy straps. We've pulled loaded semis with one strap no issue either 

Do not know a thing about farm equipment or farming/ranching, but I do know princess auto and the straps you speak of, their 4x4 offroad specials are second to none and I do great at lordco but they can't match princess. 

• Like 1
21 hours ago, db1486 said:

You're not alone. Our wheat should've been done a week ago but finally got a beautiful spraying day today. Should've finished wheat but a tractor tire said otherwise. So I guess we'll do the last wheat field tomorrow if it's not raining. Canola and flax should be ok for a few days yet

Snapchat-2054964037.thumb.jpg.ba487c30ec2675396e9dfd1e4ba66a08.jpg

Snapchat-1131933516.thumb.jpg.be5c82e6c3d8745c6df6f3f5a3e689a8.jpg

I bought one of the erickson 30’ straps for around 25 bucks I think it was. Maybe different from the ones you’re talking about though. It’s about a 5” strap. Can’t rememver the weight rating on it at the moment. It’s in my truck and I’ve never even opened it to tell you the truth lol. One of the princes auto moments 😂😂

Tore troubles are always fun. Salvage the tire at least? That can get expensive in a hurry. Dad had a screw up tonight with the skid steer. He was driving around the new skid steer with the old one just leveling the mud lumps in the yard from all the rain. Guess he got a little to greedy and swung to quick. Front right tire caught the pallet fork while he was turning and made a nice 3” hole in the tire. We had 2 new ones waiting to be put on so it wasn’t the end of the world. Just a good thing it wasn’t one of the new ones at the back lol. 

Finally got a bit more spraying done today. Got a late start so didn’t get as much done as I’d like to have and had a lot of monkeying around to do so it all ate up time. Every bit is one step closer though. It’s calm enough right now I don’t really dare spray. Canola all around me so don’t need to take out anyone else’s crop. 

Barley is looking really good though. Hopefully it keeps coming. 3D23FE59-67DC-4ECA-915F-C195283BCFE9.thumb.jpeg.cda42bab41a07d37818308f05bd3f46e.jpeg

been spraying here to close to finishing got 3 quarters left hope to get done tomorrow been also doing different chemicals so lots of clean outs, I usually go alittle over board in cleaning out but I don't want any reactions or mistakes either 

on other new My super wd6 arrived today I got it locally and got the tow truck to haul it out way faster and simpler for him to winch it on and winch it off right into my shed once the spraying is done I can really get into it the motor was free now stuck

does anyone know of a good bug spray or something to repel these ticks? going from never having them to finding 2 a day is annoying had 4 on me tonight and that's just walking through the shorter grass in the yard 

Where abouts are you, I got some clothes from marks work warehouse, they are supposed to be bug repellent, I got them for skeeters, but don’t know about ticks, try a search at marks, they advertise for the clothes down here.

Good spraying all day today. Yesterday pretty good too so I'm down to my last two fields. Wheat this afternoon in this photo looked really good but sure needed that wild oat herbicide in some parts of the field. 

IMG_1374[1].JPG

• Like 2
3 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

I bought one of the erickson 30’ straps for around 25 bucks I think it was. Maybe different from the ones you’re talking about though. It’s about a 5” strap. Can’t rememver the weight rating on it at the moment. It’s in my truck and I’ve never even opened it to tell you the truth lol. One of the princes auto moments 😂😂

Tore troubles are always fun. Salvage the tire at least? That can get expensive in a hurry. Dad had a screw up tonight with the skid steer. He was driving around the new skid steer with the old one just leveling the mud lumps in the yard from all the rain. Guess he got a little to greedy and swung to quick. Front right tire caught the pallet fork while he was turning and made a nice 3” hole in the tire. We had 2 new ones waiting to be put on so it wasn’t the end of the world. Just a good thing it wasn’t one of the new ones at the back lol. 

The straps we've been buying are 3"x30' just like the Erickson ones. If you got a 5" one your all set lol. I really like when they stay in the plastic under the truck seat. Unfortunately it does stay there forever around here lol

Yes I was able to put a boot in the tire right beside a boot I put in a couple years ago. 2 cuts on the inside sidewall now. Not sure how that happened but its holding now lol. At least it was a field relatively close to home so I was able to take the grain truck and fill it up enough to get it home without running flat. That tractor needs new tires all around pretty soon but if we can get a couple more years that will be good. We bought it with mismatched tires all over so one day it will get 8 matching ones lol

22 hours ago, Dasnake said:

Do not know a thing about farm equipment or farming/ranching, but I do know princess auto and the straps you speak of, their 4x4 offroad specials are second to none and I do great at lordco but they can't match princess. 

I think any guy that does guy stuff knows about princess auto 😂 But they do actually have something for everyone there. I used to really love stopping there but lately their prices have been creeping up to what I can buy stuff for from the independent shops unless it's on sale

Surprisingly I've been in a Lordco store before. I was sure impressed with the selection and actually prices weren't out to lunch like some places

• Like 2
20 hours ago, wheatking said:

been spraying here to close to finishing got 3 quarters left hope to get done tomorrow been also doing different chemicals so lots of clean outs, I usually go alittle over board in cleaning out but I don't want any reactions or mistakes either 

on other new My super wd6 arrived today I got it locally and got the tow truck to haul it out way faster and simpler for him to winch it on and winch it off right into my shed once the spraying is done I can really get into it the motor was free now stuck

does anyone know of a good bug spray or something to repel these ticks? going from never having them to finding 2 a day is annoying had 4 on me tonight and that's just walking through the shorter grass in the yard 

Keep us in the loop on the new project. Always nice to see another one come back to life. 

We tend to go overboard on clean outs too. We have strainers on all the boom sections with flush valves and bales on the end of each section as well. Drain everything first then flush with ammonia water and repeat, then a fresh water rinse just to take everything out. They used to say tripple rinse the jugs so I tripple rinse the sprayer too lol.  Takes up a extra 300 gallons of water but that’s cheaper then a crop disaster  

I’ve always used the woods off I think it is  green can anyways.  Brother  had 3 or 4 of them while quadding the other day but the rest of us were fine  no one had any repellant in either.  Our dog needs another treatment, starting to find them on her again now  

19 hours ago, db1486 said:

The straps we've been buying are 3"x30' just like the Erickson ones. If you got a 5" one your all set lol. I really like when they stay in the plastic under the truck seat. Unfortunately it does stay there forever around here lol

Yes I was able to put a boot in the tire right beside a boot I put in a couple years ago. 2 cuts on the inside sidewall now. Not sure how that happened but its holding now lol. At least it was a field relatively close to home so I was able to take the grain truck and fill it up enough to get it home without running flat. That tractor needs new tires all around pretty soon but if we can get a couple more years that will be good. We bought it with mismatched tires all over so one day it will get 8 matching ones lol

I glanced at it today and it is in deed a 5” lol.  I almost had to take it out of the package last winter when we were sledding. We drove down one road to meet up with the groomed trail. Friend turned into the trail to turn around and when he went to back up the truck just sunk. Was no big deal till he decided to gunnit and go down into the deeper snow thinking he could spin his way out, you can guess how that ended lol. Now istead if being 10 feet away from me he was hung up on small bush in about 2 feet of snow. Had to shovel him out and get him back up in the trail so he could try to back up again as I wasn’t getting my truck stuck too lol. Finally got him back to the hard pack and I pulled him out. 

The versatile could use a new set of tires too. Bloody expensive though to put some name brand ones on. I’d like to put metric radials on but that’s even worse lol. 

19 hours ago, Loadstar said:

Good spraying all day today. Yesterday pretty good too so I'm down to my last two fields. Wheat this afternoon in this photo looked really good but sure needed that wild oat herbicide in some parts of the field. 

IMG_1374[1].JPG

Good to hear you’re all wrapped up Ralph. Crop looks good. Hopefully the spray takes out the wild oats for you. I had quite a few in places on my barley too. 

Well the first round of spraying is done. Not sure if we’ll have to do any canola again or not. Wait and see if it grows enough to bother I guess. It’s still pretty patchy looking. It’s coming but it looks rough from the road. Going to take a while to fill in I’m affraid.  

Found one little spot I missed seeding while spraying today  usually have one somewhere it seems lol  looked like the pre pass did it’s job though  almost nothing growing on it. Just a short little strip so it wasn’t a big deal at least  That’s my chem fallow for the year I guess lol  

5EDDD044-8115-41B8-A5C1-84CDFCE797BF.jpeg

D8E48943-6112-4E46-A704-BCA067C27022.jpeg

5285B381-8438-44A4-8F92-A9EF2EAEC3F6.jpeg

• Like 2
On 6/23/2020 at 12:19 AM, wheatking said:

I hate cleaning the sprayer. At least this big one has the tank rinsers on it so it is pretty easy to clean. Not like our old little one. Needed to try and spray or splash the while inside of the tank through the top hole lol. We usually go through about 400 gallons to clean. Probably way overboard but never had a burned crop yet so I guess we're ok. Water is cheap here lol

For ticks we have used all different kind kinds at work, being that we work in the bush all day. I never really found that any kept the ticks completely off. Still had a few here and there. The blue can of Deep Woods OFF works about as good as any other. But like I said some still crawl along. But only having a few a day is better than nothing. This spring put fencing I had probably 50 or more in a day. I was picking a couple a minute off of me for quite a while

On 6/23/2020 at 8:45 PM, poor farmer/logger said:

I glanced at it today and it is in deed a 5” lol.  I almost had to take it out of the package last winter when we were sledding. We drove down one road to meet up with the groomed trail. Friend turned into the trail to turn around and when he went to back up the truck just sunk. Was no big deal till he decided to gunnit and go down into the deeper snow thinking he could spin his way out, you can guess how that ended lol. Now istead if being 10 feet away from me he was hung up on small bush in about 2 feet of snow. Had to shovel him out and get him back up in the trail so he could try to back up again as I wasn’t getting my truck stuck too lol. Finally got him back to the hard pack and I pulled him out. 

The versatile could use a new set of tires too. Bloody expensive though to put some name brand ones on. I’d like to put metric radials on but that’s even worse lol. 

Tires sure aren't cheap. But at least if we put a full set on this tractor I can take the 4 best ones and put them on another tractor lol. I kinda like the looks of some of the off shore tires

Our pull type didn’t have a tank rinser either so I would go in with a 1” hose hooked to the 2” water pump and wash everything down that I could. Little bit slower but it beat filling a 1600 gallon tank to rinse it all lol.

I’ve been a bit scared of the Chinese tires but there are some decent ones out there just have to hope you get a good one on the first try I guess lol. 

Went for a drive this afternoon through the area that burnt across the river. Got pretty hot in places. Covered quite a area that’s for sure. I still plan on going back with the quad one day and driving through the whole area. See if there’s any really good sawlogs left. Anything along the main road has been logged out or burnt over previously so there isn’t much there. 

I was surprised at how much driftwood was stuck at the bridge yet too from the spring flood/break up. Pile of silt washed it around the bridge, that whole river bottom has changed again. 

Wheat is starting to fill in pretty nice and cover the stubble now. Canola still looks poor though. Some spots aren’t bad and others look bare. 

952D236C-8000-449F-A8D5-240DAB652C3C.jpeg

C5E9ABAF-8F97-4162-94FF-BA030E56B05B.jpeg

CF5134C9-1E31-403E-A88C-3893F1DC3DD4.jpeg

039C0C9D-D899-467B-ADA9-310A57E50E36.jpeg

95ABFADF-4E0E-4CE5-83DC-0043579A6971.jpeg

DA2798FC-7C7B-4C32-89E9-47F97CBF3B54.jpeg

C9761345-931F-4BE4-B2A8-F392D5EEE225.jpeg

901C830F-6A7D-4C2B-8506-ED2383ECE952.jpeg

23 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Went for a drive this afternoon through the area that burnt across the river. Got pretty hot in places. Covered quite a area that’s for sure. I still plan on going back with the quad one day and driving through the whole area. See if there’s any really good sawlogs left. Anything along the main road has been logged out or burnt over previously so there isn’t much there. 

I do all my tank rinsing with a flexible rubber hose on the yard hydrant. Triple rinse. That hard well water is a good "de-foamer" I find. 

Finished up the in crop spraying tonight on the oats. Nice looking crop. A few thin spots where emergence was delayed for some reason. Not bad for weeds. Should be a good crop. Hopefully this year it won't get hundred percent hail like last year. 

IMG_1392[1].JPG

• Like 2