• Replies 367
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Well finally got some more done. Just about half done now. Wee little bit of wheat to do and we’ll be at the half way point.  Technically speaking though I’m all done lol.  Finished up the last of the

Had another crazy storm roll through about an hour ago. Another 1/2 inch of rain from it. Looked alot worse to the east again. They are really getting hammered over there. Roads and bridges washed out

Soybeans here in north central Kansas Looking good 

Posted Images

On 6/13/2020 at 12:02 PM, DaveinSD said:

Hooked up and ready to cut the first hay of the year!

4C37B99A-865B-4F7C-983A-153278E428F9.jpeg

Hasn’t been any hay cut here yet. Another couple weeks and guys will be starting 1st cut I imagine. Been lots of rain for growing but not much for heat yet. There’s a couple alfalfa crops north of home that look real good and should produce some nice hay if guys can get some decent weather to wrap it up. 

Had a real nasty storm roll through just west of us today. Some pretty major damage from what I’m hearing and seeing already. Friend of mine lost 7 bins in his yard, it blew the train cars right off the track and generally just made a mess. I’m sure there’s lots of other stuff I haven’t heard about yet. We were lucky here and there was no damage.  I was watching it coming in the field and came back to close the door on the shed. The plow wind hit the side of the shed while I was in there. Unreal the noise it made. Clouds were just flying across the sky just before the wind hit.  A friend shared the railcars photo with me on Facebook so I can’t take any credit for that.  I took a time lapse video when that white cloud came through. I came under the black one kind of and passed it. I imagine it was pretty nasty where the two clouds met.  Storm trackers were following it and warning of rotation in the clouds. 

3A310CA0-893A-41BD-A552-B8C60BE4F65C.jpeg

5E563AB2-6586-4AAC-880D-0060C58BEBDA.jpeg

B31099B5-64E2-4FD6-B5E2-73EFB453B084.jpeg

I side dressed the corn and Dad planted beans with his 51 M and Deere FB-B drill last weekend.  I had some corn that I replanted this weekend.

20200606_121034.jpg

20200610_161341.jpg

• Like 3
12 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Had a real nasty storm roll through just west of us today. Some pretty major damage  Storm trackers were following it and warning of rotation in the clouds. 

Pretty wild looking storm alright. I heard Humboldt got some of that weather too. We missed most of it. Just some good heavy showers here through the afternoon and into the evening. I heard reports of close to an inch but did not have a working gauge out to see. Between endless  wind and now wet ground its getting to be a challenge to get weed spraying. The weeds were not bad up to this point since it was fairly dry. I think my canola will be lucky to get one pass. 

44 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

Pretty wild looking storm alright. I heard Humboldt got some of that weather too. We missed most of it. Just some good heavy showers here through the afternoon and into the evening. I heard reports of close to an inch but did not have a working gauge out to see. Between endless  wind and now wet ground its getting to be a challenge to get weed spraying. The weeds were not bad up to this point since it was fairly dry. I think my canola will be lucky to get one pass. 

My brother in-law just called me to check in. They farm south of humboldt and had anywhere from 2.25-4 inches on their land. He said he was surprised at how little run off there was though. Said probably 70% soaked in. Some flooding in town though. They didn’t get any of the wind or hail though thankfully. Lots more damage showing up on Facebook this morning. There’s people speculating that it was a tornado but I’m a little doubtful. Either way some of the damage is just as bad so either way it’s not goood for those that got hit.  Just glad we didn’t get hit here. 

seen theres been some wild weather around, Calgary got hit hard and humbolt aswell, been just windy around here, hard to get any spraying done, everything is comin in nice though, not much for broadleaf weeds just the grass's figure it from wheat being snowed on and falling to the ground 

10 hours ago, wheatking said:

seen theres been some wild weather around, Calgary got hit hard and humbolt aswell, been just windy around here, hard to get any spraying done, everything is comin in nice though, not much for broadleaf weeds just the grass's figure it from wheat being snowed on and falling to the ground 

I’d like to get all of ours done sooner then later. Neighbor was out spraying first thing this morning after the rain. Grad was still soaking wet and he was making a bit of a mess in the field. I don’t like the idea of doing a half +*% job and spending the same money. Forecast is for 3 days of rain though. 

Quite a few people got hit in that storm west of here. One person lost the roof on their house. Didn’t taken the rafters but peeled the tin and everything else loose off. R.M of  Birch hills declared a state of emergency. They were asking people to report any damage to them. 

Finally got a decent day for spraying and got all the canola done today except for 10 acres where I ran out of chemical on the last field. Had a few issues with the sprayer today. Was running a wee bit hot in The heat of the day and before that there was a annoying caution warning beeping off and on for no apparent reason. Biggest issue was I got it stuck for the first time. Was on my last pass and I’d been fighting with the beeper and was getting fed up. Came up to this low spot and just shifted up a gear. Only had 3-400 gallons on so I figured I’d have no issues. I’d been into it on the quad and it felt hard underneath. Apparently it wasn’t lol.  Had to walk home almost a mile and a half and get the John Deere  it pulled out easy thankfully. It went through the soft spot on its own ok but when it got to the hard ground again it had made a rut deep enough it couldn't climb out of it  on its own power. The left side was actually down worse  

We seem to be right on the edge of the rain. Radar shows us under rain for the last 2 hours almost but there’s been nothing here.  They were calling for close to another 2 inches so I hope we don’t get that much. Fields are a bit soft as it is. Not bad for sloughs to go around yet but if we get a big downpour again it’ll be a mess. 

CC0D5CEB-EE45-4C0F-8CB2-A28462CEA17C.jpeg

89F823AC-9D27-479D-8BA8-F87CE7BB221C.jpeg

26DA4C3D-4011-44CF-BAF9-9536DFC82828.jpeg

B9E9D6C4-0FA9-4EB0-AFF6-5DE272C84404.jpeg

C9CEB017-4BCB-48C8-898A-363128C4C2A5.jpeg

6A67A6BF-E8A6-4E28-8007-360E80500D69.jpeg

33368F91-DC0B-47C1-88D1-02A2F7CF44BB.jpeg

F254572C-99ED-4545-A4C9-B9E5959483E5.jpeg

17 hours ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Finally got a decent day for spraying and got all the canola done today except for 10 acres where I ran out of chemical on the last field. Had a few issues with the sprayer today. Was running a wee bit hot in The heat of the day and before that there was a annoying caution warning beeping off and on for no apparent reason. Biggest issue was I got it stuck for the first time. Was on my last pass and I’d been fighting with the beeper and was getting fed up. Came up to this low spot and just shifted up a gear. Only had 3-400 gallons on so I figured I’d have no issues. I’d been into it on the quad and it felt hard underneath. Apparently it wasn’t lol. 

Not fun at all getting a sprayer stuck. I can only remember one time and that was with the 7130 in front of the Brandt 800 gallon. Somewhere pictures exist. No harm done that I recall. 

No such problems this spring as guys are spraying through places they could not seed through a few weeks ago. Mine is still parked. Should have ignored the forecast and gone ahead yesterday and I'd have a couple of tanks sprayed on canola at least. The rain never came, just threatening. Same again today and there is actually a little mist in the air. The neighbour was going near me so you can see the sprayer in this drone shot this morning. That oat field of mine is looking a little thin for some reason from the air. 

West 40 June 17.JPG

I remember those pics Ralph. Getting stuck while spraying used to be a daily occurnce with the sprayer coupe. It was easy to pullout of course though. I got the John Deere stuck once with thenpull type and this is the first time I’ve been stuck with the  Rogator. I’ve got a set of float tires for it but have never put them on. The little skinny ones sure don’t have much flotation to them. They sure pull good though surprisingly.  

Was to wet and cold to do much here so I took off on my old quad and went crop checking and a little bit of riding in the forest. I had seen some pictures of the road construction next to my rented land so I was curious to see if the land was as wet as the road looked. Thankfully it wasn’t. Still some low spots that are going to drown out though and some spots I’ll have to go around with the sprayer where I seeded.  Ended up putting on 100 Kms on the quad touring around. 

We had another inch of rain here and it’s still a heavy mist. It had let up for a while this afternoon but it’s settled back in now again. 

DE1B46FF-B2F0-48C4-80E1-F3DE6DB7C04A.jpeg

7B3E4376-DEB5-4028-A588-465AA4B755D2.jpeg

9E2686ED-FFA1-4FA7-9A06-A774407C1E91.jpeg

EFA5F701-F4F9-43F2-B98C-75FF51A81DD0.jpeg

014824C4-75C1-4103-B473-14CBB6A8796E.jpeg

• Like 1

We've been getting some of the storms as well out here. Had a nasty wind come through Tuesday night. It woke me up about 2:30, which is unusual lol. I thought the house was gonna blow apart. Blew for about 45 min, then went dead calm. The was tornado warnings but I never heard of any sightings. Lots of trees down again. It blew a couple bin doors open, but I couldn't see any damage to anything. 

It would sure be nice if the winds would settle down already. We gotta get spraying already. Some of the wheat is getting pretty big now. Even the canola and flax is starting to take off. We've been getting little bits of moisture the last couple weeks so things are looking nice. And I'm sure we can go through every low spot by now. Dad seeded what we left from the start so things dried out pretty good. And we had to put the 9130 on the sprayer this year so see what it will do lol

On 6/16/2020 at 11:06 PM, poor farmer/logger said:

Finally got a decent day for spraying and got all the canola done today except for 10 acres where I ran out of chemical on the last field. Had a few issues with the sprayer today. Was running a wee bit hot in The heat of the day and before that there was a annoying caution warning beeping off and on for no apparent reason. Biggest issue was I got it stuck for the first time. Was on my last pass and I’d been fighting with the beeper and was getting fed up. Came up to this low spot and just shifted up a gear. Only had 3-400 gallons on so I figured I’d have no issues. I’d been into it on the quad and it felt hard underneath. Apparently it wasn’t lol.  Had to walk home almost a mile and a half and get the John Deere  it pulled out easy thankfully. It went through the soft spot on its own ok but when it got to the hard ground again it had made a rut deep enough it couldn't climb out of it  on its own power. The left side was actually down worse  

We seem to be right on the edge of the rain. Radar shows us under rain for the last 2 hours almost but there’s been nothing here.  They were calling for close to another 2 inches so I hope we don’t get that much. Fields are a bit soft as it is. Not bad for sloughs to go around yet but if we get a big downpour again it’ll be a mess. 

CC0D5CEB-EE45-4C0F-8CB2-A28462CEA17C.jpeg

89F823AC-9D27-479D-8BA8-F87CE7BB221C.jpeg

26DA4C3D-4011-44CF-BAF9-9536DFC82828.jpeg

B9E9D6C4-0FA9-4EB0-AFF6-5DE272C84404.jpeg

C9CEB017-4BCB-48C8-898A-363128C4C2A5.jpeg

6A67A6BF-E8A6-4E28-8007-360E80500D69.jpeg

33368F91-DC0B-47C1-88D1-02A2F7CF44BB.jpeg

F254572C-99ED-4545-A4C9-B9E5959483E5.jpeg

Gee when I read that you got stuck I expected to see the front to hubs as well lol

22 minutes ago, db1486 said:

Gee when I read that you got stuck I expected to see the front to hubs as well lol

Lol stay tuned if it keeps raining that might happen yet lol. I’ve often considered offsetting the rears with the skinny tires on so the back tires don’t run in the same ruts as the front but I’m not sure it would make a huge difference. When I hit the hole and it started to big down I knew I was in trouble lol. Was in third and got about half way through. Shifted to second and then first shortly after. I could back up easily but couldn’t climb out of the rut. Was almost up to my waist lol. I’m pretty sure that’s the first time that sprayer has ever been stuck. It came from down south where there is no mud. Only marks on the hooks were from chaining it down on the lowbed. 

8 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Lol stay tuned if it keeps raining that might happen yet lol. I’ve often considered offsetting the rears with the skinny tires on so the back tires don’t run in the same ruts as the front but I’m not sure it would make a huge difference. When I hit the hole and it started to big down I knew I was in trouble lol. Was in third and got about half way through. Shifted to second and then first shortly after. I could back up easily but couldn’t climb out of the rut. Was almost up to my waist lol. I’m pretty sure that’s the first time that sprayer has ever been stuck. It came from down south where there is no mud. Only marks on the hooks were from chaining it down on the lowbed. 

I been stuck so many times this spring it's like a normal day around here lol. Tow strap and chain stays in every piece of equipment lol. I do see alot of guys running the rears wider than the fronts, but pretty much everyone runs wider tires. We want to put wider ones on the pull type but cant find the right size rims to fit it

Also I hate those waist deep ruts too lol. It always gets stuck easier than getting out for some reason lol

13 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

I’m pretty sure that’s the first time that sprayer has ever been stuck. It came from down south where there is no mud. Only marks on the hooks were from chaining it down on the lowbed. 

Down South where theres no mud? Like about Texas? 

32 minutes ago, Loadstar said:

Down South where theres no mud? Like about Texas? 

I can’t remember for sure which it was but it was in the Estevan or swift current area. I had found where it had sold through a on site farm dispersal on Ritchie bros when we bought it but that’s since been deleted from the net. Just searched the serial number now and nothing came up. It was extremely clean inside and out. That was one of the main reasons I wanted to go down to look at it. Auction day came around and it ended up coming home with us lol. 

5 hours ago, db1486 said:

I been stuck so many times this spring it's like a normal day around here lol. Tow strap and chain stays in every piece of equipment lol. I do see alot of guys running the rears wider than the fronts, but pretty much everyone runs wider tires. We want to put wider ones on the pull type but cant find the right size rims to fit it

Also I hate those waist deep ruts too lol. It always gets stuck easier than getting out for some reason lol

One thing we don’t own is a good toe strap. I doubled up my best logging chains and hooked two on each side down to the drawbar of the tractor. Hooked them so they all pulled relatively even. Don’t like using chains but with some caution it’s usually ok. Dad’s had a couple close calls though years ago. This is number two for me lol. Got the versatile stuck once this spring. That spot is all under water now again after the rain. I’ll have to take the skid steer or something over and fill those ruts in this fall if it’s dry enough. Was over looking a bit ago and the ruts are full of water now of course. Surprisingly the slough didn’t get much bigger after the rain though. It hasn’t been big enough of a issue to put the floater tires on so I’ve just left the skinny ones on. I got a set used real cheap a few years ago that I’m fairly certain fit. Dealer had them leftover from a sprayer they had taken to the auction. They wanted them gone so I got the set of 4  24.5x32 tires and rims for 750 bucks. I measured everything and it looked like they should be the correct ones. They way Ritchies did their auctions at the time the floater tires that actually came off this sprayer ended up selling before the sprayer lol. Told dad I half expected to find a note on the seat saying call me I ended up with the tires to fit this sprayer lol. Bought a Jack last summer to change them as well but haven’t used it yet aside from testing it to make sure it would actually lift that heavy old pig lol  

60F32AD2-5BAC-443A-921E-FB7F3042E790.jpeg

BE4644E3-9F6D-49D8-B1C7-252C1AFAE651.thumb.jpeg.74c22aaaf83c2efcdb10031992c40d27.jpeg

5 hours ago, db1486 said:

Monster Truck tires ;) might help or this over them tires:

163978.thumb.jpg.8e5a8b120ea1eff98c5c57e864babe40.jpg163981.thumb.jpg.32b7f050baf2fccaca6ffd448028a383.jpg

ya it sucks to get stuck

1 hour ago, poor farmer/logger said:

One thing we don’t own is a good toe strap. I doubled up my best logging chains and hooked two on each side down to the drawbar of the tractor. Hooked them so they all pulled relatively even. Don’t like using chains but with some caution it’s usually ok. Dad’s had a couple close calls though years ago. 

I think our nearly "decade of mud" started in 2010. After borrowing a neighbour's huge nylon tow rope a couple of times I finally bought my own 50 footer. I think its a 3 inch. About all I want to carry when I have to but it sure makes getting out of the mud better. Stretches like a rubber band and really adds to the pulling ability of the tractor on the other end. I also bought a flat nylon tow strap about 8 inch wide and 30 feet. Much lighter to handle but it does not have any stretch to it. I've pulled a loaded semi out of mud with that one and the 2090. It was early spring and only a few inches of mud over frozen ground. 

1 hour ago, Loadstar said:

I think our nearly "decade of mud" started in 2010. After borrowing a neighbour's huge nylon tow rope a couple of times I finally bought my own 50 footer. I think its a 3 inch. About all I want to carry when I have to but it sure makes getting out of the mud better. Stretches like a rubber band and really adds to the pulling ability of the tractor on the other end. I also bought a flat nylon tow strap about 8 inch wide and 30 feet. Much lighter to handle but it does not have any stretch to it. I've pulled a loaded semi out of mud with that one and the 2090. It was early spring and only a few inches of mud over frozen ground. 

Yes we’ve been wet here too for many years. Last couple havent been as bad but still seem to be pushing mud at some point and time in the growing season. We had a 8” sling here that we got at a auction that actually did sort of work as a tow rope. I never used it on the tractors but did use it on the cat once or twice. It was getting old though and wasn’t all that safe anymore either. One time I got the cat stuck pushing muck into a slough. More high cantered then anything. They were calling for more rain then snow and cold weather though so I wanted it out. Walked home the 1/2 mile and got the excavator. Took it over to the cat and hooked up to it after I had dug out a bit from behind the tracks. I started the cat, put it in gear and just left it at a high idle. Got back on the hoe and pulled it back out on my own. Left it on the edge of the mud where it would stay on its own but would drive out on its own again.  Did that with the swather once too. Back my truck up to it hooked onto the rear axle and got it out on my own

10 minutes ago, poor farmer/logger said:

Yes we’ve been wet here too for many years. Did that with the swather once too. Back my truck up to it hooked onto the rear axle and got it out on my own

So I'm not the only guy crazy enough to try pulling a swather out of the mud alone. 🙂 I don't recommend it but I got away with it without running over myself or wrecking the final drives in the hydro on the swather. Both are possible. Used both tow rope and strap so I had plenty of length and time to run back and forth from the tractor to swather and jump in. Just left the 2090 in first gear at idle driving itself while I ran back to the swather to engage reverse when the rope tightened up. Once it was free I'd catch up to the tractor with the swather , stop, jump out  and get back to the tractor and stop it before it tightened the rope again. I've learned since that you can disengage the final drives on the Macdon by a very simple method and just pull the swather out of the mud basically in neutral. Those hydros can break and are expensive to repair. 

Swathing canola 15.JPG

When I did it I left it running with the hydro pulled back just enough to help turn the wheels a bit bit not enough to really make it take off once it was out of the mud. Was on my own with the nearest help close to 10 miles away so I decided to just give it a try. Second attempt I didn’t have enough chain to get my truck onto dry ground to do it on my own. Dad happened to show up not long after so he drove the swather while I pulled it out and it came out easy then.  Definitely not osha approved but you do what you have to lol. Haven’t gotten the new swather stuck so far. Luckily harvest has been somewhat dry for us the last few years so that really helps. It has the undistrial tires on it so they’re not much better then the turf and diamond tread like you and I have Ralph.